Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

This is what NOT tightening your droplink mount tight enough looks like.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:01 PM
C4S993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So bottom line is the shocks' perch collars, no matter how many, have to keep that drop link shock-perch rock solid so it does not move and cause the drop link to bend out of it's no-load vertical position.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:36 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Dennis, thanks!

BTW, who did your install?
Old 04-04-2011, 03:30 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just got a call from EPE.. Mine is for alignment and new tires. I was getting weird tire ware on the right rear, and thats the one thats bad. Oh well... So Nile13, Jerry is doing mine ;-).
Old 05-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Derek_C
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having a problem in this wheelhouse. I have the Bilstein HD setup that I put in about 4 years ago. Recently, the right rear droplink popped off. I purchased Tarett droplinks to replace the old ones and when installing, I see that for the drop links to be vertical, the mounts should be rotated about 30 degrees forward. I have the locking collars on both sides. My question is, how do I rotate the perch 30 degrees forward? Do I first knock the upper collar forward then follow with the perch and locking collar? Looks very tight to be able to get a screwdriver up to the upper collar and get enough torque to turn it due to the angle.

Just FYI, I did the suspension initially without a lift but now have a 4 post so I'm able to see the alignment of the droplink with the weight of the car on the wheels.

TIA,

Derek
Old 05-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Yes, you would loosen the collars to rotate the perch. You don't need a 4 post lift to check alignments-in fact most shops would have a two post.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Design is fine IF installed in the proper orientation and tight. That is the trick
A lot of 993s running around out there without an extra lock ring.
I agree, keyed would be better... or a set screw like KW uses.
Silly Germans
Totally agree; we've never had any issues with ones that we installed here since 1995, however I've seen a number of failed droplinks on other people's cars so its something to pay close attention to at installation. We usually install lock rings on both sides of the swaybar mount and that's proven to be very durable for race cars as well as street machinery.

Moton tried the set screw idea several years ago and it wasn't as reliable as having locking rings. The new MCS shocks (designed by the same people) all provide sufficient locking rings to secure everything.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:47 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

If I went with the Bilstein HD or with any shock using a similar set-up, I would definitely go the pictured route.

As a local who installed HDs on his 993 related to me, he used a collar on both sides of the perch for peace of mind.
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my install...damn all that extra unnecessary weight...

The good news is no issue with any movement for 2.5 years..

Bob-
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Derek_C
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the responses. Got the collars to move and aligned my drop links totally vertical.

How many foot lbs am I suppose to torque them down with?

TIA,

Derek
Old 05-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I used a bfh and a drift. No movement in 3 years
Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 PM
firesm
Pro

Originally Posted by Deadeye
I used a bfh and a drift. No movement in 3 years
+993 - Except it's only been a year for me. I was told by the guys at FDM, before I did the install, to make sure the collar was tight and there wouldn't be a problem. Everytime I have my car up on my lift I take a quick look and it hasn't moved at all.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

If these are installed correctly, the collars are a non-issue. That includes getting alignment correct, so that the droplinks at straight up and down with the car on the suspension.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:40 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rehash...

I changed my rear drop links to Tarret, and they seem to work fine.. But I have question.

While adjusting my PPS9, after AX. I brushed the rear right side drop link, and noticed that I could move it around. Basically its not tight on the top and bottom round spacers. The bolts are tight btw. I checked the left side, and could not budge that side a all.

So the question is.. Is this an issue? What would cause this? Is it the rear sway bar?
Old 08-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

That is an issue, based on your description, it sounds like your locking collar is not tight. The bolts would have nothing to do with this.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:32 AM
lopro
Banned

id say its an issue aswell, You do not want the droplinks bouncing around, they will/can/have/did sheer off

over the years of working on cars and suspension I find its easy to miss one lock ring snuggle (ol hammer and punch trix)

afterall there are enough pieces inthere when doing a full suspension swap to miss one small step

funny how these cars get us anxous to puter back on all fours.

in any route, droplinks do wear out from time to time so its not a total loss.

Quick Reply: This is what NOT tightening your droplink mount tight enough looks like.