Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
View Poll Results: Have you experienced a broken distributor belt?
Yes
7.50%
No
92.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

How many have broken their distributor belt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:21 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunter
As mentioned by others, Bosch will not sell the special bearings as confirmed now with this reply:

Bei den Kugellagern zu dem Tandem-Zuendverteiler handelte es sich
um eine Spezialanfertigung von Fa. INA. Leider können wir Ihnen diese
jedoch nicht zum Kauf anbieten.

Sie haben jedoch die Möglichkeit einen Austausch Zuendverteiler zu erwerben.
Bestellnummer 0 986 237 900.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Jürgen Gräber

Robert Bosch GmbH
Automotive Aftermarket
Sales Europe Central
Kundenberatung (AA/SEC3)
Postfach 41 09 60
76225 Karlsruhe
GERMANY

Günter,

I just came across Bosch's reply.

My reply to them:
Bosch können meinen arsch küssen, wenn sie denken dass ich einen umgebauten Verteiler kaufe wenn ich nur einige kugel lager brauche.

Translation: Bosch can kiss my *** if they think I am going to buy a rebuilt distributor when all I need are a few bearings.

I guess they won't be selling too many rebuilt distributors in the near future, especially with a NOS distributor sitting on my shelf. Some companies aren't too swift. When there is a need for something, someone else will step in.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Gunter
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's funny, Alex.

The problem remains.
When one discovers a seized bearing, where does one get a new one?
You get a call from a mechanic that the bearing is kaput and then what? Most likely a shop will send for a replacement or rebuild from Bosch or?

These twin-distributors are getting older all the time and instead of concentrating on the belts, one needs to concentrate on the bearings. If a bearing is seized to the point of galling the shaft, one is up the proverbial creek.

IMHO, a distributor with 100-150k miles need to have all bearings replaced and that will cost 4-500 if a shop does it or if Bosch does it. It's delusional to just replace the belt and think all is well.

If you can sell the bearings eventually to DIY's, great, but what can people do that don't have the skills to do it? They'll have to send the twin out to somewhere.

Go for it, Alex, produce the special bearings. The needle bearing on the bottom of the primary shaft seldom fails because it gets a bit of engine oil but it is easily available .
Old 04-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
Has anyone come up with a good distributorless ignition for the 964/993? The caps, rotors, wires, distributor belt, bearings....so expensive and high-maintenance...I imagine there's no way to do it without going with a completely different engine management system.
Yeah, was thinking of the same thing, it can be done a few ways

1 - Just replace the distributor function - based on rotation of the distributor, fire certain plugs. Since the distributor is a mechanical device, not much logic should be in place

2 - Replace the plug wires and install coil packs, and have those triggered. The coil packs will be interesting, especially for some of them with very low clearances -

I have not done much research here (yet).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-05-2012, 02:22 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

If you can sell the bearings eventually to DIY's, great, but what can people do that don't have the skills to do it? They'll have to send the twin out to somewhere.
Well I will be retiring soon, so I might just have to get into rebuilding them. And as usual, the price will probably be very reasonable.

Go for it, Alex, produce the special bearings.
You better believe I will. Bosch made me do it!

I just ordered the actual INA brand bearing. They are quite reasonable. No promises as to when. Its too bad my car isn't down with bad DZV bearings or I'd be right on it. I have other things on the go.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:59 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Reviving this thread...

After reading through the various Gates catalogs I'm not sure that the PowerGrip XL belt that everyone is installing is the correct belt. They sell lots of ozone compatible belts, the 114XL is not one of them? The Contitech CT1032 is ozone compatible! Porsche installed vent kits on all the distributors in the field but (more importantly) they changed the spec on the belt material for all future distributors.

Quick Reply: How many have broken their distributor belt?