Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Do 993's have child seat anchors? My wife wants me to sell my 993 if not. HELP!

Old 01-12-2011, 10:51 AM
GreaserMofo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 96 993 Cabrio has the center anchor behind the back seat and I use that in combination with the seatbelt.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

We jut had a baby & are also going through this.

There is no rear facing infant seat that I can find. However there are a few child seats that fit.

The latch system (anchor system) is garbage in some cars. On our MINI, using the latch, the child seat was not stable, & didn't feel secure. We went with the seatbelt & it's not moving, & is also MUCH easier to install & remove.

A little tidbit, we installed the infant seat about a month before her due date. The first time, I was swearing, & quite upset. The instructions on most seats are garage, & trying to get the latches into he latch system just cut my fingers up. I was back there sweating, bleeding, & confused. DO NOT wait till you are taking the baby home to figure this out!!!!

On our seat, the instructions would show how to route the belt/or latch. However there were flaps & fabric that needed to be removed to gain access. They would only show the blow up, & not where they were on the seat. So I was looking at the seat & had no clue where they were talking about. Also try to use a doll to adjust the straps this can also cause some frustration. Our seat has one adjustment point, it's super simple. However, it took a good 15min to find it.

With the latch it takes like 10min to get the seat anchored, with the seatbelt, it takes 1min.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Both of my kids grew up in my 911's, but this was with my 83SC. They were big enough to self load and be without the seat in the 993.

One bonus we found is the 911 is an instant baby-to-sleep machine if they are in the back seats. The combination of vibration and warmth since they are very close to the engine seemed to do it very time. Loading is a pain given only two doors, so watch your back!!

I seem to remember on the rear interior cover (the one that covers the rear decks) there are two access holes (with covers) to get to the rear deck, which should have mount points for any seat supports. I am doing this from memory, the car is in the garage on the lift right now (doing the yearly maintenance).

Cheers

Mike
Old 01-12-2011, 04:43 PM
KKJ 367
Cruisin'

Thanks for all the leads and info. Enough to keep the car!

Third car just not an option - all cash is tied up in my business. Sold my 1955 mercedes 190 SL restore, my 993 GT3 - sad to see it go, but use the 993 as my everyday car and just see no reason to ever sell it.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:55 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

What happened to babies before the child seat and seat anchors were invented? I'm a 70's baby and I don't recall if my mothers 71 Riviera had seat anchors and I'm still here today. All kidding aside I understand you wanting to keep your baby safe.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
What happened to babies before the child seat and seat anchors were invented? I'm a 70's baby and I don't recall if my mothers 71 Riviera had seat anchors and I'm still here today. All kidding aside I understand you wanting to keep your baby safe.
Your mother's Riv probably weighed two tons, and wasn't surrounded by idiots texting in Ford Excursions. Sorry, but there was a fatality in this exact scenario 1/2 a block from my house a couple of months ago, so I guess it is fresh in my mind.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:35 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was transported around for the first 9 years of my life in a '59 Thunderbird. Not only no seatbelts, but no seatback locking mechanism. Every time mom came to a stop she'd put her right arm over and attempt to hold me and the seatback in place.

Not having children, I've never been in this spot. But I do know of plenty of Porsche Club families that piled out of 911s (356s in the old days!) new and old to come to the track or autocross. Seems to not occur too much anymore.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:44 PM
racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
Me too. rode to preschool in our then brand new '74 911. Front or back seat didn't matter.

Also worth checking out is your states rules about car seats/useage. Each state seems to be a little different.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/childrestraint.aspx
Old 01-15-2011, 03:31 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Our little guy is 5 mos old and my wife and I have had the same conversation. Our issue is the DAS roll bar which is certainly unsafe for any rear occupant. I've almost got her convinced that a new M5 is the only solution! :-)
Old 01-15-2011, 06:05 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

I installed the center anchor and Rennline lower anchors for both rear seats. They are working well. The one caution I would give is that the harness anchors are thicker than normal anchor points, so make sure your car seat clips will close properly. I don't know if the BK anchors have the same problem. I also never got the rear facing seat to fit safely, but once the kid is over 20lbs and one year they are good to ride. They can ride in the back for some time, I had a eight year old in the back last year.

I will echo the comments about the kids loving to ride in the Porsches. My 2.5 year old loves a trip in the Porsche. These cars mean so much to us; they will mean a lot to your kids also.

Rw229, my wife is starting to warm to my M5 requirement also-good luck.

--Joe
Old 01-15-2011, 12:39 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Here's my set-up. Very, very snug.
Attached Images   
Old 06-07-2011, 06:54 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Couple things to add.

1) Check out sites such as carseatlady.org and carseatdata.org. Pediatric guidelines recently changed. I've also posted a bunch about what I've learned about child seats and safety.
2) I'm still trying to figure out the Canadian cab vs. American cab issue and how/where they put the seat anchor. As near as I can tell, Porsche used an entirely different seat back for the cabs in Canada vs. US. I pulled off the rear seat back, pulled off the carpeting, and see the mounting points for the frame, but no place to mount a tether on the plywood (yes, plywood) that is the seat back. So odd to see wood...I never really believed the floorboards in front either, until I saw them.

Finally, in the post just above mine, I suggest you look at the links above for the rear tether mount point hidden behind your rear dash. Makes a big difference, esp. for these cars since there is so little seat for the car seat to sit on...makes them very prone to forward tipping.

FWIW, I've been discussing installation of car seats in the 993 with a car seat installer. I'm not sure I believe/buy her specs, but she maintains there is NOT sufficient clearance from the child seat to the rear of the passenger/driver seat. She maintains 28" with a tether and 32" without a tether to avoid head impact.

However, I can't find reference to this anywhere, and that seems like it would eliminate most of the small-midsized cars on the market.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:01 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

She is a woman, it is her job to take care of the kids and your job to drive the 993.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

You might want to check out this system from a company called 'Maxi-Cosi'.

http://www.maxi-cosi.com

I used the prior generation system and it fit very well in the back seats of the 993...looks like they've updated it. Basically, you install a base unit that is anchored in using the belts (they also have an ISOFix version as well that uses anchors). The child seat 'snaps in' to the modular unit and in our case, we had it set up to be rear facing. While this works, it does require you to push the front seat forward pretty much to the limit of forward extension so your front passenger is going to be pretty uncomfortable unless they have really really short legs. The advantage of the system in your case, is that you could buy 2 base units (placing one in the SUV, one in the 993) and then just transfer the baby seat back and forth depending on who needed to do the driving. Another nice thing is that the seat itself also works with a 'snap-in' stroller system.

For us, we used the family car pretty much 98% of the time...on very odd occasions would I use the 993 to move my little one but it was convenient in a pinch with this modular system (which saved me from buying 2 separate seats or uninstalling and reinstalling a seat from one car to the other). I would check out the new version's base dimensions to ensure fit.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:00 PM
irideducs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
We jut had a baby & are also going through this.

There is no rear facing infant seat that I can find. However there are a few child seats that fit.
I found that the Graco Snugride infant seat does fit (reversed) in the 993 as long as you move the passenger seat up a little and use the seatbelt as the anchor. This will get you from birth to about 6 or 7 months - depending on how big you grow'em.

Then, you are stuck until 12 months when you can use one of the forward facing options detailed earlier.

Definitely don't sell your car -- the 993 is a perfect and relatively practical sports car for people with young families (meaning they fit in the back seat).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do 993's have child seat anchors? My wife wants me to sell my 993 if not. HELP!