Sponsored by:

Dyno results, post graphs here

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011 | 02:09 PM
aribop
Race Car

Default Dyno results, post graphs here

I'll start.

Took car to the dyno early December to get a baseline before I start messing with it .

Information:
128k miles on original engine
set of B&B mufflers
tested on a Dynojet

I want to see how it compares to others...
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2011 | 05:02 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi there.

heres mine but it has been corrected to show flywheel horsepower using a 9% loss factor for drivetrain. The power figures at the wheels were just under 264bhp. It was using a Dynojet 4000 which is a hub mounted dyno so those RWHP figures are higher than you would expect on a roller type chassi dyno.

Modifications were:
  • RS LWFC
  • Steve Wong Chip
  • Single RS pulley
  • 97 RON fuel (= 92.5 MON)
  • DACH X cat delete pipes
  • RSR mufflers
  • RS and RSR engine and tranny mounts
  • New Distributor, belts and bearings
The car is being re dynoed tommorow with the additional changes:
  • Custom remaped Steve Wong Chip (based on AFRs from the run below)
  • Fully reconditioned injecors (they were all found to be dirty after 17 years and one was leaking/stuck open!)
  • Factory single pulley wheel replaced with light weight double sided alloy one for a fair saving in reciprocating mass.
  • Removal of Stock airbox and replacement with dual cone filter system
  • Removal of clutch breather pipes and gear for weight reduction.

I am hoping we can get a strong reading tommrow. the car is running very very well and has been on a diet to boot. Using a more reasonable 10-11% loss we are targeting 300bhp FWHP and raw figures at the wheels around 270bhp (again this will read higher than a roller type dyno as there are no wheels or tyres fitted).

Cheers
Old 01-09-2011 | 05:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Below
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2011 | 07:29 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

My '95, no engine work and ~115K miles on the odo. All OEM except for a Steve Wong chip (no re-map) and RSRs.
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2011 | 09:33 PM
aribop
Race Car

Looks like me needs a chip!
Old 01-09-2011 | 09:44 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Wong Chip 98 RON, RS single pulley, Fabspeed cat bypass. Dynodynamics dyno reading 205rwhp and 255ftlb. 3rd gear on a tiptronic.
Changed the spark plugs, rotors, caps, and cleaned injectors shortly after and there was a noticeable improvement.

Last edited by haygeebaby; 02-26-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-09-2011 | 10:12 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by aribop
Though I love difference the chip makes and can't see driving the car stock ever again I have a suspicion that it would not have tested much differently without the chip. Can't be sure though.

My basic understanding of dynos is that they vary so much that it's really apples and oranges. To get a real measurement of how your car is fairing, check with the dyno shop and have them pull other runs of the same model car for comparison. Use the same method of correction as well, SAE for example. Otherwise, for a thread like this although interesting, comparison is moot. FWIW.
Old 01-09-2011 | 11:20 PM
jscott82
Drifting

Originally Posted by aribop
Sounds like you have a other issues to addess first. Here is mine after getting the car back into shape. Stock motor (124k miles),200 cell cats , no mufflers, stock chip, new plugs, wires, caps, rotos, injectors cleaned, intake cleaned, all fluids changed, etc, etc, etc....

From the big dip at 5500 rpm I would check for vacuum leaks or a faulty resonance valve.

I think 240 - 250 (+10 with chip) for totally stock is pretty normal on a Dynojet. On a Mustang 210-220.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by jscott82; 03-19-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2011 | 11:44 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

That doesn't say much for B&B mufflers...seems pretty low to me?
Old 01-10-2011 | 01:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I must add I agree with haygeebaby that having the injectors cleaned in my case seems to have made a bit of difference.

One thing i forgot to point out in my previous post with charts is that i cahnged the MAF for a brand new OEM one. I do believe this added some missing factory horses. It made a noticeable difference. My original MAF was tested and showed poor efficency.

Cheers
M
Old 01-10-2011 | 02:08 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here is mine..1996 Targa, totally stock, not chip upgrades, but just after I built the engine. This has not been corrected, and measured close to sea level. The cams are set different than the factory tools set them, so the torque curve is a little earlier than stock.

The engine has new rings, valves, fresh cut valve seats, guides, and clean injectors. New air filter. The Dyno run was about 1000km after the rebuild so it was fully broken in. This was done at a Porsche event, we ran a number of 911's the same day, the guys running the dyno commented that the engine I built pulled nice and strong...I was more worried about it blowing up (hey, rebuild you own engine then push it on the dyno, listen to the engine screaming and you mentally reviewing each nut that holds the engine together, and then we will talk! )

Cheers,

Mike
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2011 | 02:27 AM
trophy
Race Car

Here is mine, baseline prior to new ECU..

Stock Chip, Cat Bypass pipes, stock mufflers, 3500ft above sealevel, 96000km engine never been opened.
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2011 | 06:41 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Ditto - cleaning stuff and replacing worn stuff on these old cars makes a bit of a difference.

But Mike - I said it before and I'll say it again - 253rwhp on a dyno dynamics heart breaker dyno - man - that's a real good figure. Most guys who run off a dyno dynamics get around what I got - close to 200. But you got 50 more horses. That engine rebuild sure came through.
Old 01-10-2011 | 11:24 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J

I was more worried about it blowing up (hey, rebuild you own engine then push it on the dyno, listen to the engine screaming and you mentally reviewing each nut that holds the engine together, and then we will talk! )

Cheers,

Mike

What on earth do you mean?

(I know, I know....it isn't a 993, but it is air-cooled! Fast forward to about 1:00)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtZ2AjOH358
Old 01-10-2011 | 11:49 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
Ditto - cleaning stuff and replacing worn stuff on these old cars makes a bit of a difference.

But Mike - I said it before and I'll say it again - 253rwhp on a dyno dynamics heart breaker dyno - man - that's a real good figure. Most guys who run off a dyno dynamics get around what I got - close to 200. But you got 50 more horses. That engine rebuild sure came through.
Don't think its extraordinarily good...there are a lots of variance between dyno's, etc. The shop that did this specializes in building Subaru rally cars (for Subaru no less), and have a really nice 4 wheel dyno, so they dyno is in good shape. A 50 HP variance is a lot, I can see being at the upper end because everything was fresh, but not that much over stock. Take a look at some of the other graphs, they are also peaking at around the same HP.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Dyno results, post graphs here