Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Newbie oil level question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 06:59 PM
Spidey 993

Default Newbie oil level question

I had to ask versus search it. Needed that extra touch and advice, proabably extremely simple to you all.

Got my car almost 3 months ago. At that time, I pulled out the owners manual, warmed up the car on a flat surface, checked all guages. Everything look exactly like the manaul stated.

I have driven the car 630 miles since then, and the oil gauge had dropped into the top of the red when sitting there in the garage all warmed up. Checked oil, and before I was in the middle of the dipstick and now about 1/3 into the dip stick.

Time to add oil or oil level sensor having issues?

Also, can i add any synthetic oil or does it have to be Mobile 1? Can it be 10W-30 or has to be 15W-30? I live in Colorado.

Thanks for the newbie QA and any help.

Regards
Tony
Old 12-27-2010, 07:26 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '95 uses a quart between 700 and 900 miles depending on whether it is around town on highway.

I find my oil gauge pretty much agrees with the dip stick. When it is just getting into the red whem fully warm, that generally means it is towards the bottom of the twisty part of the dip stick. Time to add 1/2 quart of oil. You will read on this forum that many suggest oil consumption when the oil level is right up to the top - is a bit higher than when you keep the level in the middle of the gauge or middle of the dip stick twisty part.

I find this is so except when I get a fresh oil change. Then, the garage fills the crankcase up to where the oil gauge (and dipstick) are right at the top - and it takes at least 500 miles or so for the level to drop to the middle of the gauge/stick.

As to oil type, you should try and stay with the same manufacturer as what the car was filled with on last oil change. As a general rule, don't mix dino oil with full synthetic. If it was filled with Mobil 1, stick with Mobil 1.

My garage (Pacific Northwest) uses 15W50 Mobil 1. Sometimes, I will 10W40 (always Mobil 1) when topping up. For the most part, I use 15W50.

Some on this forum (and on the national PCA forum - www.pca.org) suggest that other oil brands, Brad Penn and Motul (latter very expensive) will reduce consuption. I have not tried a crankcase full of either so can't say yes or no.

I will say that even with burning a quart every 700 miles, the car just passed the Wa. State emissions with very low readings - both NO and CO.

Re weight of oil for Colorado, you can look in owners manual and I think there is a table showing temperature ranges for each weight of oil. I think 15W50 is good to fairly low temperatures (under 32 F). But for routine very cold temps (say between 0 and 20 F), there is a Mobil 1 0W40 full synthetic.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:04 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

there are tons of threads on oil if you use the search feature but one caution. rely on the dipstick and not the gauge!! some gauges are pretty accurate - others not so much (they can be adjusted) but the dipstick is always accurate! enjoy your new ride!!!!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I used to get about 1 qt per 600 miles before I rebuilt the engine, now its in excess of 3000 miles (well, its good enough so I do not have to add oil between changes).

Yeah, I agree, run something a bit thinner for the cold than 15-50.

If I know its going to be hot, I will not have my oil level above about 1/3 of the dipstick, since the oil can expand quite a bit. If its cold, where you have it at 1/2 way is great

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-27-2010, 08:38 PM
jhale
Pro

tjeff993,

As a fellow CO bretheren, I have been using M1 15/50 since I bought my car. As others have suggested, I would not blend dino with syn. I would venture down to Autozone and pick up a quart of the same viscosity and brand of oil since your last oil change.

My 993 is not a DD but I have been driving it quite a bit given our warm spell. I am planning on adding a quart of oil tomorrow since the dipstick is registering about a quart low. I would recommend adding half a quart at first and then reconfirming on the dipstick and interior oil guage. Make SURE you don't overfill!!!

I just checked my records and my last oil change was done at 49K and I have not needed to add any oil for the last 3K. Based on the dipstick reading and the oil guage, I should be a quart low. I'll let you know what I report.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:03 AM
Spidey 993

Default Very helpful, and thanks!

Just wanted to say thanks for the responses. Very helpful and it makes me feel better that I'm in the norm and things are running fine. I will hit an Autozone and stick with the Mobile1 15W-30. I also will default to the dip stick when in doubt.

Cheers!
Tony

Originally Posted by porschemikeandnancy
My '95 uses a quart between 700 and 900 miles depending on whether it is around town on highway.......
Originally Posted by stace
there are tons of threads on oil if you use the search feature but one caution. rely on the dipstick and not the gauge!!.......
Originally Posted by Mike J
I used to get about 1 qt per 600 miles before I rebuilt the engine, now its in excess of 3000 miles (well, its good enough so I do not have to add oil between changes).Yeah, I agree, run something a bit thinner for the cold than 15-50.....
Originally Posted by jhale
tjeff993,
As a fellow CO bretheren, I have been using M1 15/50 since I bought my car. As others have suggested, I would not blend dino with syn. I would venture down to Autozone and pick up a quart of the same viscosity and brand of oil since your last oil change........
Old 12-28-2010, 09:41 AM
randytrish
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One more bit of advice. Pour slowly. I would only add 1/2 of a quart and see what your level is. My guage will go from the normal 3 o'clock, to the red and then back to normal by adding a 1/2 quart.

Make sure you have it up to operating temperatures. In colder weather it's going to take longer to get all of the thermostats open. You need to get it warm enough to hear the oil gurgling and the right front fender is pretty warm to the touch. You need to do this by driving and not idling.
Enjoy your new car,
Randy

Trending Topics

Old 12-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Spidey 993

Originally Posted by randytrish
One more bit of advice. Pour slowly. I would only add 1/2 of a quart and see what your level is. My guage will go from the normal 3 o'clock, to the red and then back to normal by adding a 1/2 quart.

Make sure you have it up to operating temperatures. In colder weather it's going to take longer to get all of the thermostats open. You need to get it warm enough to hear the oil gurgling and the right front fender is pretty warm to the touch. You need to do this by driving and not idling.
Enjoy your new car,
Randy
Thanks Randy. Did take your advice. Put half quart in, drove it and then idled and gauge at 3:30. Added the other half quart, drove again (gorgeous day) and idled. Now sitting at 2:30.

So I know my gauge is working and I did need to add some oil. I'm going to see where Im at on the dipstick right at 3 for reference point. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:01 AM
camlob
Pro

Good advice here. Just experienced the same thing and posted it in my intro thread.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:36 AM
1991 porsche carrera 2
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike J
I used to get about 1 qt per 600 miles before I rebuilt the engine, now its in excess of 3000 miles (well, its good enough so I do not have to add oil between changes).

Yeah, I agree, run something a bit thinner for the cold than 15-50.

If I know its going to be hot, I will not have my oil level above about 1/3 of the dipstick, since the oil can expand quite a bit. If its cold, where you have it at 1/2 way is great

Cheers,

Mike
3000 miles sound great. Isnt 600 miles kind of excessive????
Old 12-29-2010, 12:54 AM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 1991 porsche carrera 2
Thats probably why he rebuilt it!
Old 12-29-2010, 01:08 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1991 porsche carrera 2
That is Porsche max spec. 1qt per 600 miles.

Mine was overfilled a little and that burned off very quickly, but since it really hasn't moved, on the stick in 2500 miles.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:10 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tjeff993
Thanks Randy. Did take your advice. Put half quart in, drove it and then idled and gauge at 3:30. Added the other half quart, drove again (gorgeous day) and idled. Now sitting at 2:30.

So I know my gauge is working and I did need to add some oil. I'm going to see where Im at on the dipstick right at 3 for reference point. Thanks for the help.
Also, keep in mind that the range on the dipstick is 1.6qt whereas the range on the gauge is 1qt.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:28 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by tjeff993
I had to ask versus search it. Needed that extra touch and advice, proabably extremely simple to you all.

Got my car almost 3 months ago. At that time, I pulled out the owners manual, warmed up the car on a flat surface, checked all guages. Everything look exactly like the manaul stated.

I have driven the car 630 miles since then, and the oil gauge had dropped into the top of the red when sitting there in the garage all warmed up. Checked oil, and before I was in the middle of the dipstick and now about 1/3 into the dip stick.

Time to add oil or oil level sensor having issues?

Also, can i add any synthetic oil or does it have to be Mobile 1? Can it be 10W-30 or has to be 15W-30? I live in Colorado.

Thanks for the newbie QA and any help.

Regards
Tony
30 is probably too light weight.

I have 15W-50 Mobile 1 in mine and also in Colorado.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:38 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Personally, if the car is new to you I would wait until it's at or just below the twisty part before adding oil. I'm no expert but both my 993's and previous '88 911 did not like being "full", all 3 have burned off the top half of the dipstick twisty and then just stayed there. If I tried to keep it full I would be adding oil constantly. It may very well be that your car's "happy place" is closer to 1/3 than it is to 1/2. There is no need to add oil until it gets to the bottom of the twist.

Just my .02

Quick Reply: Newbie oil level question