Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: How the "RennFax" was born (for newbies - LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Spidey 993

Default OT: How the "RennFax" was born (for newbies - LONG)

It is that time of year where many of us look back on 2010 and are grateful for the fortunate things that were brought upon us, some through luck, some through hard work, and some through karma. Well this year I look back at being fortunate enough to be the proud new owner of my dream car of many years, a 1995 C2. And it took many people, and things to allow this dream to come true. To name a few (but not all)

#1: "The car" (not yet named, trying some out)
#2: Arena993 (Mike)
#3: The "RennFax" Report (ie, Ren fax, Renn fax, many sudo names)

So, for the newbies to the board who are fortunate to have a porsche in their driveway this year due to the help of a fellow Rennlister via the Rennfax report, we must take a moment and salute the originators of the Rennfax process, ie "Founding Fathers of the Rennfax". Now, I must remind you I was not there, and stories get modified over the years, so I decided to do the short and long version of the story. My version and a link to the original. I vote it should be re-capped every year at this time, kinda like how our family watches a "Christmas Story" and laugh every time his tongue gets stuck on the pole.

Founding Fathers List:
- Mark in Baltimore
- AOW162435 (Andreas)
- Alan911sc

Ok, for the long version: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...the-truth.html

Ok, FYI, it's hilarious but here is the short version.

Mark and Andreas head up to Pennington, NJ to check out a 993 that has been listed on Ebay. Car has 128,000 miles on it that was listed as "clean car that runs well and is in good shape". Well, lets just say it didn't come close to hitting the mark (no pun intended). The car had more things wrong with it than our current world economy. Mark offers what he and Andreas believe is a fair deal of $15k against a $19.5k pull it of Ebay price. He believed it was a fair offer all things considered.

Well, Mark decides to vent, I mean discuss what occurred by posting a Topic, laying out their findings in detail. He got the support of his friends and thanks as well for letting them know this car could possibly not be what the original seller claimed it to be.

What happens next is truly remarkable..a User, Alan911sc from Orchard Park NY, (not even a addict) says "Thanks very much for the "RennFax" Report" and then BAMMM!! the RennFax was officially acknowledged by Andreas simply stating "A new term is born: RennFax."

So you there you go folks, the first RennFax was performed by Mark and Andreas, back in Nov of 2006. Alan911sc created a word around the process and Andreas put the official stamp on it! Freakin beautiful man!

Ok, quick roundup. So, some rennlister (jimwood) decided to be a dear in the head lights and counter Marks opinion for no good reason other than to see his name appear on a thread, subsequently got B-slapped for another 7 pages or so. Jimwood's last login was 2-14-2010. I can't help but to think maybe...anyway. Alan911sc last login was back in August of 2008. Big mystery where and why he was last seen. As a Founding Father, please keep a look out. If seen, report back, but do not attempt to hug him.

There you go, I hope that helps you newbies out to better understand the origins of a RennFax and who to thank on top of the Rennlister who performed yours. Thanks again Arena993, Mark in Baltimore, Andreas, Alan911sc for helping make my dreams come true

And thank you to my wife, in case she reads this because I am still bucking for the slippery slope items.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:09 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

It's a good investigative story, Tony, but to clarify a bit...

While Alan was the first to call it RennFax and Andreas the first to make the name official, RennFaxes had been performed by Rennlisters for many years prior to 2006. Today RennFax is known as checking the car out by someone local to the car for an out-of town potential buyer. Many of us had RennFaxes done for our current cars, many had done it for others (my own two cars cam from Cali and Ohio, both RennFaxed in that nature by Rennlisters to whom I'm very grateful).

Small part of this community, the value of which is very hard to overestimate. I've said it before - I would not own a 993 without Rennlist.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Spidey 993

I agree, I'm sure Rennlisters have been helping each other out prior to 2006. Just wanted to focus on the RennFax name and a humorous glimpse into how it was conceived.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 199 Posts
Default nice story

Like you Jeff, I had the help of many, many members. I had a Rennfax done on a car in Reno, Nv(thanks Jeff-993pilot), Tacoma, Wa(thanks Jay Stuart), and Ontario(?), Ca(thanks Ken-race911)

Question upon stupid(newbie) question answered, encouragement and well intended ridicule too. What more could you ask for. A better group of like minded folks, I have never met.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:55 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Tony,
Awesome compilation! I remember that ill-fated trip as if it happened last week.

Founding Fathers of Rennfax. That's pure gold.

Andreas
Old 12-21-2010, 12:06 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Look at the 3 month rookie schoolin' us old-school Rennlisters about RL history! Guess we found our keeper of the flame.

Nice work, Tony
Old 12-21-2010, 03:05 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, we've been looking out for each other forever.

First one I remember doing, was probably more of a PPI really as I owned a shop, but in the mid '80s there weren't many out-of-town buyers for cars. For a "special" car though there could be. I think I was the AZ Region PCA President (or else my business partner was) and we get a call from a guy in Texas, Charlie Carrera..........honestly, that was a name I'll never forget, and it was real...........to check out a '73 RS. Turns out I sort of knew this car since the owner lived in the same apartment complex as my girlfriend. It was an oddball in that it was red, and I forget if it was Guards or not. Charlie flies into Phoenix, we can't figure out if it's a legit RS, we're tracking Bruce Anderson down on a weekend to pick his brain. It was the first RS I'd seen to have an ask of over $20K, so he passed. Think the car went back to Europe. But it was a fun day to pick a car apart.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:40 AM
zechunique
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank everyone on here for so much great information and friendly assistance. My ride began with help from Boulderbobo and Jeff Curtis, who went out of their way for a guy they never met. Thanks again to both of you!

What a great group we have here; and it keeps running on and on, like the cars we all love to love.

Merry Christmas (or whatever you do) to all of you on here!!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

LOL, I think it's cool that RennFax has stuck and always smile when people ask for one. Mike is right, though; Andreas and I weren't the first by a long shot (but we're happy to be associated with the designation).

Does anyone know if other boards here on Rennlist are using the name?
Old 12-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Spidey 993

Yes, it was fun and ah-ha moment all in one! Now your forever in the archives as a founding father. Now if I can just find a plaque around here...

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Tony,
Awesome compilation! I remember that ill-fated trip as if it happened last week.

Founding Fathers of Rennfax. That's pure gold.

Andreas
Thanks! Hours and hours of endless reading, research, and one "lucky" hit

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Look at the 3 month rookie schoolin' us old-school Rennlisters about RL history! Guess we found our keeper of the flame.

Nice work, Tony
Not sure about that Mark, say a "MustFax" or a "CamFax"? Ohh, another task for me to research..I know you guys maybe weren't the first, but no one else has the RennFax name associated with it. That's called a patent my friend!

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
LOL, I think it's cool that RennFax has stuck and always smile when people ask for one. Mike is right, though; Andreas and I weren't the first by a long shot (but we're happy to be associated with the designation).

Does anyone know if other boards here on Rennlist are using the name?

Quick Reply: OT: How the "RennFax" was born (for newbies - LONG)