Sponsored by:

GT3 TEK GT2 Splitters

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:44 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trophy
Emerald, can you post some bigger pics of the fit.....
Glad to Steve. I wanted to get a better angle to match the photos from payam972, but the car is on jack stands with little extra room.
Attached Images   
Old 11-18-2010, 11:54 AM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That doesn’t look to bad and should work if you ...

1. Remove the front bumper for better access.
2. Start by fixing both sides aligned to the rear working forwards and inwards (the flex in the bumper will take up the gap).
3. You should now be able to use the flex in the PU around where it meets the sides and center section to push from behind and connect with the lower PU vent – Fix from the center lower grill to center spoiler section and then pull forwards working from the center out.

Sorry if the above is not 100% clear , I can try and be a little clearer if that helps.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:04 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Future, I am not totally clear on your directions, but I feel like I did #2 pretty much as you described. The splitters are mounted and lined up with the body very well. I can probably use the flex in the grill to push it forward and line it up pretty well. The problem is the center piece. It is a rigid triangular piece. There is no flex, and it does not line up, nor will it with any kind of twisting of the car. I wish it were me and my skills, but I feel it is crappy quality control. I should have known, when they told me up front that the center piece would be hard to fit. They know there is a problem.

Emerald
Old 11-18-2010, 12:38 PM
future
Banned

Hi Emerald

Sorry I’ll try and myself clearer and first give this a go before you remove your bumper.

Fix/secure the center section in place to the both sides where they overlap the GT2 sides already fixed in place. Now try using 3 long Zip-Ties feeding them (1st in the center) through the lower part of the grill from the front, down under the back of the center section and back out the front. Then connect the Zip-Tie and pull tight which will help pull the front grill out to meet the center section. Do the same with 2 more outwards about 12cm from the center Zip-Tie. This will give you an idea if there is enough flex available to remove the 1” gap you currently have. Once done you can drill and bolt in place.

If the above does not help you to align then unfortunately you will need to remove the bumper and work from the inside which will be easier with the better access.

How are you fixing/bolting the center to the lower back edge of the grill? Are fixings included for this?

Regards,
Mark
Old 11-18-2010, 12:42 PM
zechunique
Racer

aribop:
So I guess Porsche has a magic plastic formula they use that does not shrink.
Yeah, that's it!

I'm not defending any inconsistencies or fitment issues, just responding to you question, "what's so difficult?" I'm sure the entire process can be improved with better/more consistent raw resin (from supplier), higher tech extrusion/mixing equipment, more trial and error to tweak the process, and a buget that allows for closer fitment checking and rejection of product out of tolerance. No magic necessary. Also, larger production batches allow the process to stay on line for a run, and the tweaking is less of an issue.

But then those considerations all cost money, and that's why the OEM costs a bit more...
Old 11-18-2010, 12:45 PM
future
Banned

Emerald, if you look at the picture previously posted you will see how they have done exactly what I've described ... you will see how the lower part of the grill is pulled out to fit hence the larger gap in the lower grill vent as opposed to the top one

It’s pulled quite a way out!
Old 11-18-2010, 12:49 PM
zechunique
Racer

e3photo,

Don't you want to paint them before you put them on? My RS splitters locked in place so tight that I think it will be twice as tough to get them off as they were to put on - and that wasn't exactly a piece of cake...

Hope you come out O.K. on this!
Old 11-18-2010, 01:36 PM
payam972
Racer

Originally Posted by future
Emerald, if you look at the picture previously posted you will see how they have done exactly what I've described ... you will see how the lower part of the grill is pulled out to fit hence the larger gap in the lower grill vent as opposed to the top one

It’s pulled quite a way out!
ohhhh THATS what they did. it all makes sense now. thanks future
Old 11-18-2010, 01:41 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the help guys. It helps me work thru the process. I think I have it headed in the right direction. The main issue is you can not secure the center section to both sides as suggested because they wont't match up, and there is no give or flex with the fiberglass. You can secure the two ends by cutting the center piece into two parts, then work out the center gap. A real PITA, but it seems to be working.
I want to make sure all the cutting and fitting is done before I paint, lest I have to repaint sections.

Emerald
Old 11-18-2010, 01:57 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't be too concerned with closing the gap, the factory ones have quite a gap between the center section and the existing bumper. Some pics of 993 RSCS / 993 RSR and 993 GT2's
Attached Images     
Old 11-18-2010, 01:58 PM
payam972
Racer

Originally Posted by trophy
Don't be too concerned with closing the gap, the factory ones have quite a gap between the center section and the existing bumper. Some pics of 993 RSCS / 993 RSR and 993 GT2's
that first one has terrible fitment compared to the rest
Old 11-18-2010, 02:01 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by payam972
that first one has terrible fitment compared to the rest
That first one actually looks just like mine would if the center piece fit right.

Emerald
Old 11-18-2010, 02:06 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

OK, enough whining. Time to get off my butt and go fix the problem. I will post pics of the finished project, complete with bumperette delete.

Emerald
Old 11-18-2010, 02:07 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That first one is a factory 993 RSR, very low mileage.... I remember back in 1996 when the RSCS's were statring to appear on race tracks home in Australia and thinking how poor the fitment was of the front splitter.....

Keep us posted Emerald....
Old 11-18-2010, 03:40 PM
GT3 Tek
Former Vendor

Well there has been a lot of interesting comments regarding the GT2/RSCS splitters and the center section.

Lets set some things straight, first, GT3 Tek only manufactures polyurethane parts and does not manufacture the GT2/RSCS front splitters, they are manufactured by Better Bodies Motorsports Design LLC and only distributed by GT3 Tek.

Second, we were made aware of the issues Emerald was having late yesterday and are working to figure out how to make it right so he may finish the installation. We are even test fitting the parts to my 993 to see where we need to have Better Bodies make changes in the mold so the center section fits better.

Third, Better Bodies has sold over well 200 sets of the GT2/RSCS splitters over the last 14 years and have not had 200 people with similar problems, see the above post & photos from Payam972 because they are the exact same parts in question that he purchased last month.

No matter what you may want to believe, we really do stand behind our products 100% but are unable to help any customer who does not call us directly and discuss what, if any issues, they are having with fitment or anything else regarding our parts.

We normally ship 20-30 orders per day leaving us very little time to monitor all of the forums and websites we are sponsors on and feel that using this forum to make our products look bad is unfair only because if the person or persons who are having problems had just called us directly, instead of using this forum, the problem would be a resolved non-issue by now and everyone would be happy.

Finally, If any you have purchased any product from GT3 Tek, regardless of the OEM manufacturer, and are having any problems, call us ASAP and we will correct any issues you may be having and make it right!

Cheers,
Joel Bowman
General Manager
GT3 Tek

Quick Reply: GT3 TEK GT2 Splitters