Sponsored by:

GT3 TEK GT2 Splitters

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:16 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT3 TEK GT2 Splitters

Well, I received my splitters from GT3 TEK, and have been trying to get them fitted. The set consists of three pieces, two splitters and a center piece. I had a little cutting and a couple of holes to drill, and the splitters mounted nicely. It took about a couple hours to get the splitters on. I was real pleased with how they looked. The center piece is the problem. It does not seem to match the curvature of the other two pieces. I have adjusted,done some grinding, and refitting, and come to the conclusion that it just aint going to work. My current plan is to cut the center piece and re-glass it,for a better fit. Any input from previous experience?
I e-mailed customer support, but did not get a reply. I think it will look sharp when I finally get it like I want.

Emerald
Attached Images   
Old 11-17-2010, 10:46 PM
wolfgang1
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

My shop is having a tough time getting the gt3 tek taco holders to work too... he has literally spent hours trying to get it perfect and I fear they are on the verge of giving up. The gt2 front splitter fitment is what is preventing the Green Machine from being completed....
Old 11-17-2010, 11:54 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Wolfgang,
Sorry to hear that you are having difficulty as well. That is a beautiful car you are building. The taco splitters went well, but the center piece is my headache. I ended up cutting it in half, and plan on reworking it from there. Good luck with it.

Emerald
Old 11-18-2010, 12:06 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by e3photo
I e-mailed customer support, but did not get a reply. I think it will look sharp when I finally get it like I want.

Emerald
Sorry to hear you're having a challenge
Please try calling joel or armondo and see what the outcome might be.
Tel: (619) 690-5081

good luck

Craig
Old 11-18-2010, 12:13 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Craig,

I may give Joel a call, although they all come from the same mold. The center piece would be great in polyurethane. The flex would be a plus.

Emerald
Old 11-18-2010, 08:16 AM
wolfgang1
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

Emerald,

My experience has been the same... the center section is the one that has been problematic. When I bought the kit, I was told that some work would need to be done. My body shop is one of the best in the country... they do a lot of work with many ultra high end cars. They have spent way too much time trying to get it perfect based on their standards. It has been a frustrating experience for both of us. If I could do it again, I would not buy this kit.

Larry
Old 11-18-2010, 09:40 AM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't understand what the problem with some of these manufacturers is. What is so difficult about producing a quality product? The factory did, why can't they?

You spend your hard earned money to buy the kit. Then you might have to pay someone else to try and install it. It should go on without all these problems!

I had the same issues with fiberglass from AIR (American International Racing) on a very pricey 968 TRS wing that I bought for my 944 Turbo. Why are these companies selling substandard products? How hard is it to build a quality mold and then all the production pieces would be correct???

I am now having the same issues with a set of GT3Tek side skirts. I should not have to drill extra holes or cut existing holes bigger because they don't line up. I'm sure if I buy a set of skirts from Porsche they will go right on with no issues.

What the hell is so friggin' difficult???
Old 11-18-2010, 10:28 AM
payam972
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in my understanding gt3tek is the same as betterbodies, where i ordered mine from...my front spoiler fit perfectly, and the body shop i used had no problems with fitment. it is the same spoiler in question also. i would try calling gt3tek
Old 11-18-2010, 11:11 AM
zechunique
Racer

What the hell is so friggin' difficult???
As I understand it, the plastics don't stay the same dimensions as they cool/solidify. And the way they are mixed/extruded/whatever, the way they are pressed, and the way they solidify can make a bid difference in how they shrink or deform. Its tricky business, and requires a precise, consistent process to churn out an accurate, repeatable product.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:22 AM
payam972
Racer

Old 11-18-2010, 11:24 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Emerald, can you post some bigger pics of the fit.....
Old 11-18-2010, 11:26 AM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zechunique
As I understand it, the plastics don't stay the same dimensions as they cool/solidify. And the way they are mixed/extruded/whatever, the way they are pressed, and the way they solidify can make a bid difference in how they shrink or deform. Its tricky business, and requires a precise, consistent process to churn out an accurate, repeatable product.
So I guess Porsche has a magic plastic formula they use that does not shrink.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:26 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Very nice looking front end. I love the way your's came out, but your splitters seem to be a different design. Your splitters follow the front grill contour, where mine sticks out. They appear to have changed the design. I will post a picture from the same angle as yours. I wish I had your splitters, before the f**d up the design.

Emerald
Old 11-18-2010, 11:35 AM
payam972
Racer

Originally Posted by e3photo
Very nice looking front end. I love the way your's came out, but your splitters seem to be a different design. Your splitters follow the front grill contour, where mine sticks out. They appear to have changed the design. I will post a picture from the same angle as yours. I wish I had your splitters, before the f**d up the design.

Emerald
i see what youre saying, the first time i went to the body shop after install, they were sticking out like yours. there has to be a way. ill ask my body shop today because i showed them a pic of a gt2, and the next time i went over there...it was corrected. maybe theres a secret trick?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:38 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aribop
So I guess Porsche has a magic plastic formula they use that does not shrink.
These are fiberglass, and the center section is very rigid. The install would be a lot easier with plastic or poly, as there would be flex

I don't think it is lack of magic, but a sloppy mold was made.....

Emerald

Quick Reply: GT3 TEK GT2 Splitters