Sponsored by:

new Cayman R pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:52 PM
arcteryxbird
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new Cayman R pics

Pretty Sharp!!! Anyone know what engine/output/hp ?
Attached Images    
Old 11-17-2010, 09:12 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look on www.crankandpiston.com

10 extra hp.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:12 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Weighs only 100 lbs. less, gets only 10 horses more, up to 330, than a Cayman S. Also costs more.

Not much difference than a Cayman S, in my opinion.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:16 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Weighs only 100 lbs. less, gets only 10 horses more, up to 330, than a Cayman S. Also costs more.

Not much difference than a Cayman S, in my opinion.
Nor my yellow 993. Except for the cost thing. But you also can't forget that the yellow car can't really function as a street car. Most enjoyable in its element, though!
Old 11-17-2010, 09:29 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Tacking on a measly 10 extra horsepower, leaving off the A/C and not bothering to put in a radio or cupholders doesn't really warrant a $6K upcharge in my book. I can imagine some people saying "But they called it an 'R'!" Big whoop. Definitely not worthy of the model designation IMO. They should have definitely gone much further with it, but I guess they don't want to cannibalize any sales from their sacred cow 911 (of which there are 20 different models according to their website).

Their marketing guy says "The Cayman R is targeted at a performance-minded individual." I want to know who that's buying a new Porsche doesn't fancy themselves a "performance-minded individual?" I guess their marketing strategy is brilliant, tell the public the car with less stuff is for a "performance-minded individual" and charge them an extra $6K. I wish they'd build the marketing around the car rather than the other way around.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Lectra
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Calling it 'R' =
Kind of a missed opportunity imho
We want more power, clubsport spec & less weight.
That would be a nice Cayman R
Old 11-17-2010, 09:35 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Tacking on a measly 10 extra horsepower, leaving off the A/C and not bothering to put in a radio or cupholders doesn't really warrant a $6K upcharge in my book. I can imagine some people saying "But they called it an 'R'!" Big whoop. Definitely not worthy of the model designation IMO. They should have definitely gone much further with it, but I guess they don't want to cannibalize any sales from their sacred cow 911 (of which there are 20 different models according to their website).

Their marketing guy says "The Cayman R is targeted at a performance-minded individual." I want to know who that's buying a new Porsche doesn't fancy themselves a "performance-minded individual?" I guess their marketing strategy is brilliant, tell the public the car with less stuff is for a "performance-minded individual" and charge them an extra $6K. I wish they'd build the marketing around the car rather than the other way around.
Let's fire up the Mr. Fusion on the DeLorean and go back to 1992, where you can say the same thing about the RS America. Oh right, they had to price that car LESS back then because there was a jackboot on the company's neck ready to squash it out of business.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:42 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Spot on assessment, Mike
Old 11-17-2010, 09:43 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I wish they'd build the marketing around the car rather than the other way around.
They did exactly that. Take and existing car, spend some money on marketing (actually, that's already been done and spent with RS America, etc), squeeze $6K out of it, or, more importantly, sell some units in a line that you are bout to kill... Brilliant!

Oh, I see that I'm not the only one old enough to think of RS America here
Old 11-17-2010, 10:44 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
They did exactly that. Take and existing car, spend some money on marketing (actually, that's already been done and spent with RS America, etc), squeeze $6K out of it, or, more importantly, sell some units in a line that you are bout to kill... Brilliant!

Oh, I see that I'm not the only one old enough to think of RS America here
Hey they got more money for a coupe than a cab so why stop there?
Old 11-17-2010, 10:47 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 349 Posts

With that wretched baby puke yellow/green paint it looks more like a gecko that a cayman.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Yep, completely agree with the RS America comparisons.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:36 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 263 Posts

Yawn.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:47 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Lectra
Calling it 'R' =
Kind of a missed opportunity imho
We want more power, clubsport spec & less weight.
That would be a nice Cayman R
Originally Posted by jdistefa
Yawn.
Agree.

Years of gossip and waiting for this model and we get this. I like it but Porsche's still holding back......WAY BACK. Porsche will never let a GT3 motor happen so let's get that out of the way, but how about at least the base 3.6 (345HP) out of the 911? The rest of the package, by the sounds of it similar to the Boxster Spyder that seems to have hit the mark, seems to be spot on. Porsche seems to perpetually hold back on it's mid-engined platform which is sad.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:49 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
Hey they got more money for a coupe than a cab so why stop there?
Once again, in simple terms - something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It's completely irrelevant what is being sold.

Quick Reply: new Cayman R pics