Sponsored by: DashLynx

Current 993 Prices

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:26 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Vic brings a great point here. There is significant value in knowing the owner. Knowing how he took care of the car, what he did, why he did it. That certainly adds to the value of the car itself in my opinion. Does it set the market? I don't know. I tend to think not, but, again, it is certainly valuable in the most obvious and tangible sense.

Ryano, you bring up the same point. What I called "the value buyer".
Old 11-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike thanks for your input above...here is a photo of my black cab
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2010, 10:34 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sonic, multiple great delicious photos of exterior and interior - the best way to sell anything.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:02 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it the change in season the reason why they're so many cabs for sale?
Old 11-09-2010, 11:08 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sonic very nice Cab. What springs do you have installed I like the ride height? I need to lower mine.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:20 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Everytime someone talks about c2 cars selling in the teens, or widebodies selling in the 20s, it is invariably a high mileage funky color tiptronic or stories car. Someone show me a plain c2 in a desirable color (silver, white, red, etc.) w/black interior (most popular, personal choice), manual gearshift with less than 50k miles, clean history, selling for anything less than about $25k. I dont think that exists, and I think the reality is more probably in the $30s for this type of car.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:13 AM
jnicol
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrygug
Thanks to all for the input. What do you all think of this one?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/2045588612.html
Too bad the image sizing makes it look tall and thin!

Seriously, the main thing is of course the PPI. And if the same owner had it for 9 years then you should have service records. Find out how many miles on the consumables (brakes, suspension, clutch) and any other big money repairs that have ALREADY been done.

Also weird that if this is a dealer selling it, the photos are taken on the street? Is that not odd?
Old 11-10-2010, 02:32 AM
Augustus Davies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Everytime someone talks about c2 cars selling in the teens, or widebodies selling in the 20s, it is invariably a high mileage funky color tiptronic or stories car. Someone show me a plain c2 in a desirable color (silver, white, red, etc.) w/black interior (most popular, personal choice), manual gearshift with less than 50k miles, clean history, selling for anything less than about $25k. I dont think that exists, and I think the reality is more probably in the $30s for this type of car.
I agree.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:57 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

They are H&R with Bilsteins... got the basic idea and specs from this forum and then had Johnson's Alignment here in my area do the work. Im very happy with it, it handles like a dream....

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
Sonic very nice Cab. What springs do you have installed I like the ride height? I need to lower mine.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

I'm not sure which atribute is more important, luck or patience, when searching for a car.

When I was shopping-I saw many cars selling at a price point that was a great value. Most were C2's, or cabs, and I wanted a C4S preferably, or a C2S. My C4S wasn't exactly what I was looking for option wise, but I made it into that with some extra bits.

Most important, your intended use should kinda drive the price point, right? No sense buying a low mile high $$ beauty to use as a DD, and no sense buying a hi-mile beater as a weekend only GQ either.

For me, it finally just felt right. I got slightly impatient, took a leap of faith. I trusted the words of the PO, as well as his long time friend/mechanic. It helped that the shop was well known and respected too. So for me, luck was the deciding characteristic. Lucky to have gotten such a solid car with 63k on it, lucky to get alot...but not all the history. Lucky to have gotten a car with a brand new suspension/swaybar set up on it, and a full 60k service. And lucky to get it at a very fair price...with a van load of extra pieces to boot!

oh yea...and lucky to get the Hard Back sport seats I sooo wanted at the same shop, on the same day, that I picked the car up.

Every car, and I do mean EVERY car has a story to tell. Buying from a Rennlister, especially a well known RL'er is a huge plus for sure-and yes, the plus means better. Once you become knowledgable about these cars, the pricing will just look right of wrong for any given car. You can read the details, mileage/condition/records/mods...and know the pricepoint. Anything below is a bargain, anything above is a dream by the owner.

When the pricing is right, for the model you want, it's time to move.

Good luck
Old 11-10-2010, 09:52 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I also agree. Why would someone post excessively to try and prove otherwise? These cars sell constantly for over $30,000. I posted an original topic about KBB properly representing our car prices to reflect the true market value. I resent someone putting down our cars. Why would an owner do that?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:21 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
Most important, your intended use should kinda drive the price point, right? No sense buying a low mile high $$ beauty to use as a DD, and no sense buying a hi-mile beater as a weekend only GQ either.
+1. Once we get that info from gerrygug, the OP, this discussion can become a whole lot more useful. Trying to establish just how cheap these cars can be may be of little use to him, just as focusing on crazy high price garage queens might be.

Also, I expect that most of the engineers here understand the statistical concept of "valid sample size." One transaction (high or low) cannot be "the market."
Old 11-10-2010, 10:26 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Is it the change in season the reason why they're so many cabs for sale?
Maybe but also there seems to be a persistent large spread between the bid and ask on the 993. Thus time on market is very long. I can't say if now it's longer than usual but I suspect it is.

Frex, our 993 was a no sale due to not making reserve twice on eBay. Both times the auction sputtered at about 92% of reserve. The seller was adamant that he'd keep the car until the end of time before letting it go for less than reserve. He eventually came down 5% and we did a face to face deal.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:10 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do any of you have any _proof_, any facts to support sales of '95 C2 coupe with proverbial 50K miles for $30K+? If so, please post it. If not, please continue to have a... well, whatever this is.

95 NC 993, to answer your question (rather a statement, I think) - I am trying to bring some sanity to this discussion and answer OP's question. With facts and pointers to specific cars and specific sales. You _resent_ someone putting down your car? I just want to quote this statement as this is the most childish thing I have heard on Rennlist in almost 7 years of being here. But if you wish to think that your car is worth what Porsche charged for it, which was $65K, please do so. Anyone saying otherwise not only "putting down" your car but actually putting down Porsche as a company.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:22 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

If anybody subs to SCM Gold, they can call up all recent sales and give a definitive answer about transactions prices.

Quick Reply: Current 993 Prices