Sponsored by:

Lift rear deck lid for cooling

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Greg Lab
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lift rear deck lid for cooling

When I bring my 993 into garage, and shutdown, I often open the rear deck lid to assist the engine in cool down. Is this OK to do? Or is that perhaps hurting something with the fan ducting. I saw many drivers doing this at the track, and I started doing it with my 930 Turbo track car. On really hot days in summer, I will place a fan on behind the 993 as well. Just don't want it to cook in hot garage in Houston TX... So do you think this is a good practice, or overkill?
Old 10-30-2010, 05:18 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overkill, no need and fruitless
Old 10-30-2010, 09:00 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Porsche engineers have this covered:

The engine has a system that activates the engine bay blower to dump hot air if the engine temperature is high. This system is active for 20 minutes after the ignition is turned off if the detected air temperature in the blower outlet pipe on the left side of the engine is above 104F. If the air temperature in the duct rises above 167F, the blower is activated at low speed until the temperature drops below 158F.

If this system is working correctly, a few minutes after you park the car, if the engine is hot enough, you will hear a click followed by the whoosh of the fan.

Mine comes on if the oil temperature is around 225F or above when I park the car.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:16 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

probably overkill for normal operations, but I see lots of people do this to help speed up the cooling, between runs at the Auto-X. I have even done it myself at the AX, but never timed it to see if it made any real difference.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:11 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just don't understand the logic of this at all. Let's say the engine is at 200 degrees F during operation. You pull into your garage and shut it off. From that moment onwards, the engine is not going to get hotter -- it's going to cool off. Opening the decklid might possibly encourage the engine to cool down ever so slightly faster, but if it does, it's a minuscule difference from not lifting the lid. Regardless, what does the speed by which the engine cools off after use affect anything?

Plus, heat doesn't wear an engine out -- RPM's do. That is, your engine does not wear because it is warm, it wears because it is in operation. It's bad if it's too hot or cold while in operation, but heat itself does not wear out an engine.

Also, the reason you lift the lid on the track is because you have another run to do soon, and you want the engine to cool down as much as possible before then. Still, it probably makes virtually zero difference. There's a big old grille on top of the decklid that provides plenty of space for the hot air to escape...
Old 10-30-2010, 10:31 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, heat sink happens. And heat does wear an engine out. Much rather run one of these things on the 'Bahn at 6K in 6th (if possible) @ 220F oil temp, than running-around-town 3-4K @ 250+ that many of the no external oil cooler 2.7L cars saw in their day.

Even so, lifting the lid is more of the "it's cool, I'm one of the guys who knows what I'm doing" activities at the track.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:31 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 288 Posts

If you forget to close the rear deck lid, the engine compartment light will run down the battery.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:52 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts

At the track for DE's it would seem to let the radiating heat out quicker (anecdotally), I usually let it idle for 5-minutes with the deck up before shutting off the engine after a DE run. YMMV

Since it is up, I may just leave it up until I head out for the next session. Plus it never hurts to look at the engine bay a lot to admire the craftsmanship and make sure noting is a miss.

And it pays homage to the air cooled lineage.
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2010, 11:13 AM
tracke30m3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I leave my deck lid open for a few hours after I get home based on the premise that having the heat escape faster may be good for the rubber and plastic bits (hoses, vacuum lines, connectors, wires) inside the engine compartment.

May also extend the life of the deck lid shocks and engine bay insulation?

Whether this works or not I don't really know but it sure doesn't do any harm.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:05 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I raise my lid after a ride too. Maybe it makes no difference to the car...but I like doing it...so it makes a difference to me. Kinda like washing it when it's clean...I do that too. Oh...and I also removed my engine undertray...
Old 10-31-2010, 02:15 PM
Linnm
Pro

If you are concerned about engine heat I suggest that you jettison the pan that is under the engine.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:03 PM
Greg Lab
Racer

Oh that's a great idea about removing the pan under engine. What's it there for anyway? Any tricks to removing it?
Old 10-31-2010, 04:22 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

CalvinC4S,

It's good to see you're back on line! Missed you now for a while... missed the Cave Creek analysis... now you will have the Escape 3011 nearby! That should keep your group in Arizona busy...

Air-cooled Greetings from Canada... the bad sledding is almost over!

Bert
Old 11-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I leave my spoiler up, but that is more so the airbox doesn't get heat soak.
You can turn the car on, but don't start it, this will kick on the electric fan, & cool the engine way better then leaving the deck lid open.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:01 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
I just don't understand the logic of this at all. Let's say the engine is at 200 degrees F during operation. You pull into your garage and shut it off. From that moment onwards, the engine is not going to get hotter -- it's going to cool off. ...
Well, yes and no. Temps in/on the engine vary greatly. The entire intake stays very near ambient no matter how hard you're driving on the track. But the heat exchangers (headers) get crazy hot. When you shut down, that heat moves up into the engine, then into the intake, etc.

While I agree with Noah & others that raising the hood is useless, I actually do leave my ignition "on" after track sessions so that the aux blower runs for 15-20 minutes. At least it cools off the headers, which gets that heat away from the engine. I've found that it does cool down the engine bay, but if you forget and leave it running, it'll kill your battery!

Quick Reply: Lift rear deck lid for cooling