Sponsored by:

Opinions on 2 cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:36 AM
wolf76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on 2 cars

Hello. I have narrrowed my search to 2 cars. They both meet all my criteria and I even like the colors. Here are the basics:

Car 1- 95 6 speed coupe. 105k miles. All records and service up to date. Stock, no modifications. I spoke to the mechanic who works on the car and he said it is in excellent shape. New tires/brakes. This car is close enough to me that I could pick it up myself.

Car 2-95 6 speed coupe. 88k miles. Some records. 90k service not performed. Owner said he does not go by service intervals but rather by what his mechanic dictates. A few cosmetic mods that I can change (front splitter). Another Rennlister knows of this car and his father drove it and said it is good shape. This car I would have to have shipped to me. I'm guessing it will cost me around $800.

The price difference between the cars is about $1000. I was jsut wondering what some opinions might be. I will have a PPI done on whichever car I decide on.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 10-26-2010, 10:38 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a lot to go on.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:52 AM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's always a nice option to be able to see a drive a car before you hand over the cash, also PPI may be the deciding factor.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:11 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

Can we see some pics?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

One thing I slightly regret is that I passed on an excellent car (96 C2) because it was 1500miles away. I spoke with the owner at length, and I was happy with everything, I just didn't like the logistics. Living in Los Angeles, I also knew there were a LOT of other cars around locally. I did find a very ncie car locally BTW.

In retrospect, not that it would have necessarily been better, but I should have flown out and driven the car back, I regret that I did not do that.

While it sounds like either car is good, which makes it difficult as it is not a choice of good vs. bad, do not reject the option of driving the car home. Many here have done that, it is a great way to get to know your car, and enjoy a little road trip.

from what you have stated, it sounds like car 1 has a slightly better chance of being the better car as the owner kept records, vs the 2nd car did what his mechanic said. and in your own words (excellent vs good) The risk is that we don't know who the mechanic is, and what his knowledge of these cars is. If it is a well known/respected Porsche guy, i.e. Steve Weiner/Tony Callas, then...well, go with the 2nd car.

it sounds like you can't go wrong with either car though.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Going on what you said, get the first one.

A 90k service is not cheap, about $1000 in parts & fluids.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:55 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
One thing I slightly regret is that I passed on an excellent car (96 C2) because it was 1500miles away. I spoke with the owner at length, and I was happy with everything, I just didn't like the logistics. Living in Los Angeles, I also knew there were a LOT of other cars around locally. I did find a very ncie car locally BTW.

In retrospect, not that it would have necessarily been better, but I should have flown out and driven the car back, I regret that I did not do that.

While it sounds like either car is good, which makes it difficult as it is not a choice of good vs. bad, do not reject the option of driving the car home. Many here have done that, it is a great way to get to know your car, and enjoy a little road trip.

from what you have stated, it sounds like car 1 has a slightly better chance of being the better car as the owner kept records, vs the 2nd car did what his mechanic said. and in your own words (excellent vs good) The risk is that we don't know who the mechanic is, and what his knowledge of these cars is. If it is a well known/respected Porsche guy, i.e. Steve Weiner/Tony Callas, then...well, go with the 2nd car.

it sounds like you can't go wrong with either car though.
Good lesson for everyone. Don't be afraid to travel to get the car you may live with for many years. I can't tell enough people how well worth the trip it was for me to get my car near Philly. The cost of two nights of motel stays and fast food was quickly forgotten, and as stated, the drive home was priceless!
Old 10-26-2010, 12:03 PM
bobesser
Pro

Pre purchase inspection and color choice.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:34 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I totally agree with a couple of the previous posts. I was'nt sure I wanted to fly from WI to TX to get my 993. After all is said and done, what a great memory. Driving back to WI in 70+ weather and enjoying the drive with the top down is something I'll never forget.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Steen
Instructor

993 I picked up in Memphis just over a year ago, and was bummed the ride was only 400 miles back to Atlanta. My first Porsche was an 86 911... that one I flew to San Fran to pick up and drove 2500+ miles back. THAT was a road trip to remember!

No better way to get acquainted with your new baby!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:29 PM
wolf76
Instructor

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am going to speak with the owner of car number 1 tonight. I am going to make an offer and arrange for a PPI. This car is about 4oo miles from me so I will still get to drive her home and get properly acquainted. One other reason this car is so appealing is that it resides in the state my father passed away in. He just passed this August of ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) so the car already has a sentimental aspect to me. I know, don't let my heart make any decisions but fortunately the car seems to be in really great shape. I promise ot post pictures and keep you updated on my progress.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 10-26-2010, 11:46 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by wolf76
I know, don't let my heart make any decisions
Don't completely discount your emotions as they are telling you something. Buying a pcar is part logic and part emotion. The decision process is a mixed soup and emotion is an ingredient. Traveling for a car is well worth the hunt in the end. The cost involved are quickly erased when you get the car that speaks to you and meets your dreams.

Quick Reply: Opinions on 2 cars