993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Longevity

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 05:00 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts
Default 993 Longevity

I had a '78 SC targa. I ended up selling it when I moved aboard a sailboat. It had over 140k miles and the engine wasn't ever opened. The only mod was the cam chain tensioner upgrade. I raced that car but not seriously, but still, I did have it on the track.

Anyway, it had no issues on the PPI upon sale aside from cosmetic things in interior just due to age and use.

I've read here that some people with 993's are doing major engine work at 50k miles - like a new top end. Is this common? My P-car concept is that these are pretty much bulletproof engines unless some defect like a stretched stud or the tensioner fails grenading the engine.

Of course the 993 engine is more powerful than my SC engine but with not much added cc's. Are these cars doing six figure miles w/o major overhauls or has reliability decreased with the newer models compared to my SC?
Old 10-01-2010, 05:58 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I created a post last year asking people, "Who has not had a top end rebuild" because I had 'heard' there were problems just like you have 'heard'. I was sick of seeing it and IMO it was actually hurting the sales of our cars to any potential buyers who were scared to death by some of the comments. Over 100 owners answered and many have cars well over 100k miles. Do a search and I'm sure you will find it. It is an overblown issue although the problem can and does exist for some owners, especially those that have tough inspection states where the car can not pass without getting the top end re-built. Now that is a problem! I remember reading that MA and CA are two of those tough states and there may be others. Try to ignore the posts where some say it is 'almost required' maintenance. Nothing further from the truth as at least 100 owners have proven here on this board. Realize that there are 993 owners that require PERFECT cars and won't drive anything less than PERFECT machines. I have a neighbor like that. Great guy but to each his own. Just imagine all the 993 owners out there that don't read or contribute here. Those 100+ owners that did post here represent probably hundreds and hundreds of other 993s that have never had a top end rebuild. Enjoy your car!
Old 10-01-2010, 06:24 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

I"m glad to hear that. I don't see why a top makes a perfect car unless trivial differences in compression readings are interpreted as a defect.

I was concerned that the added intensity of this engine compared to the SC's meant that it developed hot spots in the valve area which is why Porsche went to liquid cooling, but I guess that also depends on how the car is driven.

Then again there is the Internet Forum Effect. This is due to people posting only incidents rather than negative evidence. A guy will post that he had to do a top at 50k miles but some other guy won't post that he didn't do a top at 120k because that's not post-able.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:57 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 1995 993 with 110,000 mi and use little to no oil. No smoking and goes more than 2500 mi per qt. The "soft" valve guides can also be an issue in the 3.2 Carreras. Some wear prematurely some don,t. Just like the broken stud issues in the SCs some experienced the issue and some don,t. The 95s are less likely to fail a smog test as the mile climb than the 96-98s. as mentioned above.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:30 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Good to hear. I was a bit surprised because IIRC, a manual I have rated our early 95 (sold in 94) as using something like a liter of oil every 1.000 miles and we haven't used a drop in that time.

I never did hear an explanation why some studs were bad in those SC's. It's like a series of BMW motorcycles. All were the same but some had this annoying surge due (theories abound). Nobody ever really solved it but it also vanished when BMW went to twin spark heads.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 NC 993
I created a post last year asking people, "Who has not had a top end rebuild" because I had 'heard' there were problems just like you have 'heard'. I was sick of seeing it and IMO it was actually hurting the sales of our cars to any potential buyers who were scared to death by some of the comments. Over 100 owners answered and many have cars well over 100k miles. Do a search and I'm sure you will find it. It is an overblown issue although the problem can and does exist for some owners, especially those that have tough inspection states where the car can not pass without getting the top end re-built. Now that is a problem! I remember reading that MA and CA are two of those tough states and there may be others. Try to ignore the posts where some say it is 'almost required' maintenance. Nothing further from the truth as at least 100 owners have proven here on this board. Realize that there are 993 owners that require PERFECT cars and won't drive anything less than PERFECT machines. I have a neighbor like that. Great guy but to each his own. Just imagine all the 993 owners out there that don't read or contribute here. Those 100+ owners that did post here represent probably hundreds and hundreds of other 993s that have never had a top end rebuild. Enjoy your car!
+1 I'm up to 147K, never had the engine open. Runs really strong.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my '96 C4S in June of '96. It now has almost 93,000 miles, it is a daily driver. Oil changes every 5000 or so miles, back tires every 10,000, fronts go about 20,000. New front brakes at 30,000, all brakes at 60,000--waiting now for the light to come on.
Valve covers leaked badly even with new seals, went to billet covers and leaks stopped. I live in Georgia, a tough emission law state--never had a secondary air problem but always was concerned. 2 years ago, at about 75,000 miles I had the money and decided to get the motor resealed (was beginning to leak a fair amount), a new clutch, pressure plate and alternator. Checked everything in motor--had to replace injectors and one hose (don't remember which one), Rods, bearings, etc were all in original condition. Did a valve job, replaced guides and put it back together. We timed the cams when it was reassembled. It runs better now than it did when new.
Regardless of what I do I get 15 mpg in traffic and 22-25 hwy depending on throttle position
I am an old guy and obviously have decided to keep it until I am no longer able....

Last edited by Linnm; 10-01-2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-01-2010, 09:43 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Limnm,

What do you mean by getting the motor resealed? Also what do you mean by waiting to the light to come on in the context of brakes?
Old 10-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Linnm
Pro

We took the motor out of the car and tore it to small pieces--checked everything (every bolt, etc) and, using the recommended sealant, put it together. LIgnt coming on refers to waiting for the idiot light on the dash to come on indicating time to replace pads.
Forgot to mention jpreviously, I replaced the shocks at 90,000--probably should have done it earler but they still weren't leaking Also, replaced the plug wires around 60,000 or so.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:13 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Thx. Had no idea there is a brake pad warning light.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:21 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you wait for the brake pad warning light then you need to replace the pad sensor as well as the pads. They aren,t very expensive (something like $25 each) but are not required if pads are changed just before the light comes on. I removed mine (they fit in a slot in the pad) and have zip tied them near the calipers out of harms way.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:17 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too am concerned about 993 engine longevity. I think that Porsche should pay to tear down my engine and see what went right with it and then rebuild it for free.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:42 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by johnsjmc
If you wait for the brake pad warning light then you need to replace the pad sensor as well as the pads. They aren,t very expensive (something like $25 each) but are not required if pads are changed just before the light comes on. I removed mine (they fit in a slot in the pad) and have zip tied them near the calipers out of harms way.
OK. I never heard of brake pad wear warning lights before on any vehicle. For such a light vehicle (compared to what's current) these autos seem to have a heck of a lot of gadgetry.

I mean, to me a brake pad inspection is routine so why the warning lights? Seems odd, but owell.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:51 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Here is a thread from 2007 that gives one an idea of repairs on these cars. Overall I would say the cars are very reliable.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...eir-993-a.html
Old 10-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Harry L
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My engine had to be rebuilt at about 72,000 miles - even though the car posted good leak down and compression numbers at about 59,000 miles (when I bought the car), ran strong, passed smog, etc.

There is a pretty long thread that summarizes what happened, but I don't know how to insert it here. It is entitled something like "993 Crate Motor."

Bottom line: My situation appears to be an extremely rare occurrence.

Quick Reply: 993 Longevity