Sponsored by:

Looking for old hood badge & center caps

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 01:36 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Looking for old hood badge & center caps

Does anyone have an old hood badge they'd like to off load? Any condition as long as its still got the mounting tabs since its going to get stripped down to bare metal.

As well, I'm hunting some plastic wheel center caps that have the black painted on crest. Any condition as well, as they will be painted.

Thanks in advance!
Keith
Old 09-04-2010, 09:32 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Uh-oh!

Andreas
Old 09-04-2010, 11:36 AM
firesm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Keith,
I'm currently in the process of getting a set of MY'02 rims powder coated black. I wanted center caps that had the logo indented into the plastic so that when I painted them the logo would still be visible. The caps that came with the wheels just had the logo screened on. After searching on here and ebay for a few weeks, I found a set on ebay for $90, the same day I was ordering some parts from Jeff @ Sunset and I asked him how much they would be - $12 each! I almost dropped the phone. Thankfully I hadn't bid on the ebay ones yet. Anyway - getting to the point - if you want indented logo caps you know where to get them, if you don't care about that then pm me your address and you can have my old ones for free.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:38 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Uh-oh!

Andreas

Originally Posted by firesm
Hey Keith,
I'm currently in the process of getting a set of MY'02 rims powder coated black. I wanted center caps that had the logo indented into the plastic so that when I painted them the logo would still be visible.
if you don't care about that then pm me your address and you can have my old ones for free.
Hey, that's MY idea! How did you find out?!?!
I had a link to what I thought was the Sunset online parts website, but going to their dealership page I can't find a link....maybe it was some other site....but I DID notice that. Relatively cheap Porsche parts...who would'a thought! Just seems a little wrong to take a perfectly good, NEW part and repaint it immediately, but that's probably what I'll have to do.

ah HA! I'm not going nuts...it was Suncoast (not Sunset!) Porsche with the online page....
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...3TT_centercaps
(That said, Jeff at SunSET has been GREAT in the past, so I'll call him again!)

Are you going gloss or (mmmm) flat black on the MY02s? I really liked these:
Old 09-05-2010, 06:45 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are you going to get the enamel out of it??

I tried a kiln
Old 09-06-2010, 12:01 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Originally Posted by psychoideas
How are you going to get the enamel out of it??

I tried a kiln
Wir haben Methoden!

I've been assured by the RL master of creative Pcar part reuse (Andreas), that it is possible with proper, gentle application of bead blasting.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:19 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Originally Posted by kjr914
Wir haben Methoden!
Aber arbeiten sie?

I've been assured by the RL master of creative Pcar part reuse (Andreas), that it is possible with proper, gentle application of bead blasting.
Sounds cool.

I was going to reproduce it in Carbon fibre. If you need the pins on it are you going to re colour it?
Old 09-06-2010, 06:09 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Aber arbeiten sie?

Sounds cool.

I was going to reproduce it in Carbon fibre. If you need the pins on it are you going to re colour it?
Der Meister sagt, dass es so ist.

In this thread is one of Andreas' black hood badge versions and I was thinking it would look good on my silver hood.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...s-of-pics.html
There's a close up pic of another on a clock, but I can't find the link.

I'm usually a purist on my Pcars, so this is a stretch for me, but once I was thinking of going with the black wheels and saw this, I figured what the heck.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:54 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Looks good!

I might try the bead blaster on mine..

I'm sure it will look great on your car with black wheels. You going gloss or flat for the badge?
Old 09-06-2010, 09:25 AM
firesm
Pro

Hey, that's MY idea! How did you find out?!?!
I had a link to what I thought was the Sunset online parts website, but going to their dealership page I can't find a link....maybe it was some other site....but I DID notice that. Relatively cheap Porsche parts...who would'a thought! Just seems a little wrong to take a perfectly good, NEW part and repaint it immediately, but that's probably what I'll have to do.

ah HA! I'm not going nuts...it was Suncoast (not Sunset!) Porsche with the online page....
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...3TT_centercaps
(That said, Jeff at SunSET has been GREAT in the past, so I'll call him again!)

Are you going gloss or (mmmm) flat black on the MY02s? I really liked these:
It did seem wrong at first to paint new caps, which is why I was trying to find used ones - but when new is cheaper then used I got over that feeling pretty fast.
Those caps at Suncoast are the same ones, but they were a couple of dollars cheaper, per cap, at Sunset.
I just received my Stage III's from Darin that have been black ceramic coated with matching tips, so I think I'm going to match the wheels to that finish. I didn't want them gloss but I didn't want them 100% flat either. I can't wait to get it done!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:34 AM
firesm
Pro

Der Meister sagt, dass es so ist.

In this thread is one of Andreas' black hood badge versions and I was thinking it would look good on my silver hood.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...s-of-pics.html
There's a close up pic of another on a clock, but I can't find the link.

I'm usually a purist on my Pcars, so this is a stretch for me, but once I was thinking of going with the black wheels and saw this, I figured what the heck.
I also picked up a black hood badge that Mark D sold on here. It looks pretty cool IMHO. I believe it was one of these: http://pcars.com/porsche_parts/shop....it/p_3014.html
, it's a lot darker than in the photo. Originally, I was going to go the purist route and keep everyting stock, but then I thought as soon as you change one thing it's not really stock anymore - so you might as well do what you want
Old 09-06-2010, 11:19 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Two or three minutes, tops.

Andreas
Old 10-15-2010, 06:40 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Still looking for a donor hood badge & center caps with the pressed in emblem (not the glued on colored badge). I'm willing to pay for them and the shipping if that helps.

I'm sure it will look great on your car with black wheels. You going gloss or flat for the badge?
I'm thinking flat black for wheels and hood badge. Kind of a "stealth fighter" look. Not 100% yet, however...

Originally Posted by firesm
I also picked up a black hood badge that Mark D sold on here. It looks pretty cool IMHO. I believe it was one of these: http://pcars.com/porsche_parts/shop....it/p_3014.html
, it's a lot darker than in the photo.
hmmm, kinda steep at $225 or so. Damn you people are good at making me want to spend money!!! Not dark enough looking, but you and the webpage both say it looks darker "in person" so it might get there. Do you have a picture of it on the car?
Old 10-15-2010, 07:53 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Br. Keith,
PM sent forth.

Andreas
Old 10-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My Con Rod Fan clock has the same badge.

https://rennlist.com/forums/7342442-post1.html

Mike

Quick Reply: Looking for old hood badge & center caps