Sponsored by: DashLynx

993 Roadtrip Vancouver-Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:02 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
OK, sittin at a "saloon" in San Fran, not quite sure where.

FWIW:
Hwy 36 was AWESOME!
Right on Tim, glad you guys enjoyed it.

No tickets, no wrecks, equals a great day on 36.

Is the road surface still in good shape?

See any of the local constables out there?

While at the "saloon", may I suggest you and your buddy hold hands so the other "guys" in said "saloon", don't hit on you.

Phil
Old 08-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 134 Posts

Where are the pix?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:41 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 986 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
I am in Eureka right now. Delivered my son to college. I will be heading home this morning down 101. We stayed at The Bayview Motel. It's quite nice and very clean (wifey approves.)
Hope to meet up with you at some point during your visit Mr. Moffat.
Great talking with you Darin, hopefully we can meet up in the next few days!

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
I'll be in the east bay tonight in Danville, then heading to LA on the 23rd.
send me an email Harlan: timothymoffat@shaw.ca
Originally Posted by Tone
Glad to hear it!
Join the club
Club? There's a cluB?

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Right on Tim, glad you guys enjoyed it.

No tickets, no wrecks, equals a great day on 36.

Is the road surface still in good shape?

See any of the local constables out there?

While at the "saloon", may I suggest you and your buddy hold hands so the other "guys" in said "saloon", don't hit on you.

Phil
No tickets, NO cops, very little traffic. What traffic there was was EXTREMELY courteous and pulled over whenever possible. Road surface varied greatly.....pure crap to pure gold. And the stretch about 30miles west of Red Bluff had me laughing like an idiot!

Oh, hand-holding is OFF the menu.

Originally Posted by Cactus
Where are the pix?
Hey, isn't hassling for pics my job? Sheesh!
I've got some, just need time to post. Oh, want to make people nervice? Take pictures in rush hour traffic in this area @ 85mph!

We're booked into a hotel near the Oakland Airport through Friday night with a Banzai run home Saturday after the "Santanna (?) Row" show.

My rear tires will be shot when I get home. 4000KM/2500miles since Sunday am by the time we're done. Fyuk!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:03 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Oh....couple more things:

Traffic down here is WILD! Funny, when the I-5 was empty, the people who were around stuck within 10 of the 70mph limit........the closer we got to SF, the higher the speed went. At one point we were in a group cruising along between 90-110! Speed limit?!?!?!?!?!

2nd, roads like 36 with so many corners in succession made me think of ditching my sport seats for some Recaro PPs!

And, black cars suck. I say this because my black 97 looks like it hasn't been washed since rolling off the line all those years ago. Doug's silver 98? Looks a lil dusty.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:24 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Wink can't make this stuff up

OK, sittin at a "saloon", not quite sure where.

Originally Posted by RollingArt

Tim, glad you guys enjoyed it.

While at the "saloon", may I suggest you and your buddy hold hands
Originally Posted by Cactus

Where are the pix?
For squirrel-boy

Last edited by curve lover; 07-04-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: YT
Old 08-19-2010, 07:20 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 134 Posts

^^Hilarious video!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:46 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We're booked into a hotel near the Oakland Airport through Friday night with a Banzai run home Saturday after the "Santanna (?) Row" show.
Whew..........no report that the cars were missing so far this AM. (I also mentioned to Tim in an email that he's staying about a mile away from where the Hells Angels were founded, and still have a clubhouse, and is also the area that is one of the most notorious drug/gang/murder areas in the country. Oops? And all about 3 miles away from where I live!)

Not sure about Santana Row these days. We made a pass through last Saturday AM as we were in the area. Not one car. Yeah, Monterey weekend, but it still surprised me there wasn't a token turnout.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:23 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

First off, funny stuff Curvy.
Originally Posted by race911
Whew..........no report that the cars were missing so far this AM. (I also mentioned to Tim in an email that he's staying about a mile away from where the Hells Angels were founded, and still have a clubhouse, and is also the area that is one of the most notorious drug/gang/murder areas in the country. Oops? And all about 3 miles away from where I live!)
Cars still there in a "secure" parking lot. Kinda thought something was funny in some spots around here; left a Mexican restaurant around 11 and came out to see 7 police cars across the street!

On a now-it's-funny note, picture this: we leave downtown SF to head towards our luxurious Oakland Airport hotel, Doug in his car with the GPS, me following. We head over the Bay Bridge (?). At the east (?) end Doug makes a sudden late lane change..............and disappears!!! This at an area where I belive there are about 648 possible directions of travel! Fyuk!!!!!! I finally end up on a dark side street in Oakland and call him. With the help of the trusty GPS we get it all figured out. Phew.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:50 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

I finally end up on a dark side street in Oakland and call him.
Worst that could have happened is that you would have ended up down by the Acorn housing project. Where Huey Newton, on of the founders of the Black Panthers, was found dead years after he'd fallen into irrelevance.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:57 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

What are the logistics for the game tonight?
Old 08-19-2010, 02:10 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Tim - how are you and roommate Doug doing? I see roadtrip.
I just got back from Europa and had a blast.
When are you guys planning to be back?
Old 08-19-2010, 02:29 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On a now-it's-funny note, picture this: we leave downtown SF to head towards our luxurious Oakland Airport hotel, Doug in his car with the GPS, me following. We head over the Bay Bridge (?). At the east (?) end Doug makes a sudden late lane change..............and disappears!!! This at an area where I belive there are about 648 possible directions of travel! Fyuk!!!!!! I finally end up on a dark side street in Oakland and call him. With the help of the trusty GPS we get it all figured out. Phew.
There are these fancy devices called FRS - a must on a trip like this.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:53 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FisterD
What are the logistics for the game tonight?
Show up! Not like there won't be 40K+ empty seats disguised as fans.......... "Value Deck" tickets are $12 ($8 with a promotional Pepsi can), and that gives you admission + a $6 credit at any concession stand. So it's like getting a free beer.

Plans right now might be a pre-game pressure washing "party" at my house before the game, say after 4pm. I'm 4 miles from the stadium.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:26 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jo-hans
There are these fancy devices called FRS - a must on a trip like this.
We have them smartguy! The "last minute" lane change was more like an "Oh ****!" lane change.......not pretty. I decided it was a bad idea to follow.

Hans, why not get in your 993, drive down here, and join us for the drive home! Come on, it's not that far.

Originally Posted by race911
Show up! Not like there won't be 40K+ empty seats disguised as fans.......... "Value Deck" tickets are $12 ($8 with a promotional Pepsi can), and that gives you admission + a $6 credit at any concession stand. So it's like getting a free beer.

Plans right now might be a pre-game pressure washing "party" at my house before the game, say after 4pm. I'm 4 miles from the stadium.
Be there shortly. Leaving the Hotel D'Luxe momentarily. Playing shortly @ Ken's place: "How Many Porsches Can I Fit In My Driveway?"
Old 08-19-2010, 09:27 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey Tim, glad to see your having a great time down here in my old stomping grounds, should have put up some kind of 'meet' for everybody. I'm laughin' at your antics because 35+ years ago, I went into that EXACT neighborhood to buy a '58 Speedster I saw advertised in the S.F. Chronicle. My buddy and I pull up in front of this old, run down tenement with the Speedster parked in the driveway. A skinny white guy, no shirt, barefoot, biker tatoos, stringy dirty shoulder length hair and chest length beard with a revolver stuffed in the back of his pants comes out, starts the car and revs it a couple of times. My buddy asks me 'are you gonna buy it?' and I say yes, so he immediately gets in his car and splits without even asking if I want him to follow me home ... I hand Mr. Gypsy Joker $2000 cash and his junkie girlfriend comes running out of the house, he hands her $200 and says 'go get the junk, baby' ... and I get in this Rose/Silver Speedster and blast outa there so fast, I'm leaving sparks in the dips in the intersections on the way to the Bay Bridge on ramp ...
Glad to hear nothings changed much ......

Quick Reply: 993 Roadtrip Vancouver-Bay Area