Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 Roadtrip Vancouver-Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:23 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 472 Posts

Well, we're in Fortuna CA. At what is possibly THE LAST hotel room in the Euraka/Fortuna region!!!!!! Had a great drive over from Grants Pass where it was a scorching 97F. Beautiful scenery through Redwood. Got way cooler and foggy(ish), better for my liking than the screaming heat.

Currently sitting @ Eel River Brewing Company enjoying a much needed brew. Be in the Bay region tomorrow afternoon.

Ken, race911, I'll shoot you an email later tonight.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:36 AM
user 70801213
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your taking 36, plan for at least 8 hours drive before you are in the bay area.

once your here, plenty to do!
Old 08-18-2010, 02:47 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So............other than coordinating this baseball game thing Thurs night (and anyone else who wants to join is welcome, I'm sure)............I'll let Tim decide on if we want to make a dinner deal for Wed night happen. Plenty of options on that, of course. I see Tim puts "rainforest" in his sig; Karen and I had a delightful dinner at the Raincity Grill on Denman. Can go from that level down to one of many brewpubs.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:48 AM
Tone
Racer

Originally Posted by cosmic_993
if your taking 36, plan for at least 8 hours drive before you are in the bay area.

once your here, plenty to do!
I've found 6 hrs to be pretty reasonable (just over 5 hrs very spirited drive time)
Depends on how long you stop for breaks & food.
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2010, 02:51 AM
Tone
Racer

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Well, we're in Fortuna CA. At what is possibly THE LAST hotel room in the Euraka/Fortuna region!!!!!! Had a great drive over from Grants Pass where it was a scorching 97F. Beautiful scenery through Redwood. Got way cooler and foggy(ish), better for my liking than the screaming heat.

Currently sitting @ Eel River Brewing Company enjoying a much needed brew. Be in the Bay region tomorrow afternoon.

Ken, race911, I'll shoot you an email later tonight.
Right on.
Looks like you've found some of the best food in Fortuna @ Eel River.

Temp changes are amazing between the coast and inland. On a recent run was in the upper 50s on the coast & then lower 90s in wine country.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:52 AM
Leucadia
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, we're in Fortuna CA. At what is possibly THE LAST hotel room in the Euraka/Fortuna region!!!!!! .
Hi Tim, is it difficult to find a hotel room in Eureka? I'm wondering because im thinking of doign this same exact route next month and want to spend the night in Eureka. Should i book way ahead?
Old 08-18-2010, 03:03 AM
Tone
Racer

Originally Posted by Leucadia
Hi Tim, is it difficult to find a hotel room in Eureka? I'm wondering because im thinking of doign this same exact route next month and want to spend the night in Eureka. Should i book way ahead?
No need to book in advance for Eureka.
Fortuna is much smaller and you may want to plan booking in advance if that's where you want to stay.

A good option is you're continuing down the coast, e.g., Mendocino, is the Benbow Inn in Gaberville. Pretty good prices for a nice historic property. Good restaurant & bar.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:14 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911
So............other than coordinating this baseball game thing Thurs night (and anyone else who wants to join is welcome, I'm sure)............I'll let Tim decide on if we want to make a dinner deal for Wed night happen. Plenty of options on that, of course. I see Tim puts "rainforest" in his sig; Karen and I had a delightful dinner at the Raincity Grill on Denman. Can go from that level down to one of many brewpubs.
Baseball game is a go, THANKS Ken!
Unsure of tomorrow's "plan" as we're not there yet. I'll email when we're getting close and have an idea.

Originally Posted by Tone
I've found 6 hrs to be pretty reasonable (just over 5 hrs very spirited drive time)
Depends on how long you stop for breaks & food.
Beer breaks are bad until AFTER so hopefully not many delays.

Right on.
Looks like you've found some of the best food in Fortuna @ Eel River.

Temp changes are amazing between the coast and inland. On a recent run was in the upper 50s on the coast & then lower 90s in wine country.
Food was great. "Climax Lager" (their name NOT mine) was a great way to take the edge created by the hotel shortage. Kind of a honey lager IMHO. Yum.

Originally Posted by Leucadia
I think it's just a certain set of circumstances working against us today but I would check. Kind of a sinking feeling when you spend 3+ hours and check over a dozen hotels (and their lowered 993-non-friendly driveways!) before paying $90 for a motel of the same variety used in the movie Vacancy.

Bedtime.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:32 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Good to hear you're supporting the U.S. economy
Baseball game is a go, THANKS Ken!
Enjoyed hanging with Ken, his wife, & RLers @ Tarpy's Roadhouse.
I bet the FisterD dudes & others will appreciate seeing ya in NorCal; I just missed the opportunity to see 'em in their 'hood
Likewise, too bad our schedules were off by a couple days for your road trip
Great chatting on the phone -- drive safe & have a blast!

If in Monterey, unless a local tells you the trucks are already gone: pull into Pebble Beach's polo fields (see below), where literally dozens of transporters are often parked, loading hundreds of rarities. I had a blast talking with the drivers & learning about the exotics they carried ... but I have a sickness
Originally Posted by curve lover

Last edited by curve lover; 09-13-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:34 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Today's forecast Monterey, CA high's 63 degrees F. Typical for while I was there last week, & a good break from Vancouver's 90+ temps. Enjoy!

What to bring. Here's my list:

laptop
camera
Anything more?
Squirrel repellant. Seem to be in a lot of RL pix lately

If you make it down to Monterey, please use camera & laptop to post pix of your black beauty along the water of 17 Mile Drive:
Originally Posted by curve lover
Brian-- Hopefully see you again & meet Sanyata in Monterey next month, with Speedy (pictured below, playing on 17 Mile Drive last year).

Old 08-18-2010, 12:53 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jager, great chatting with you Monday.

Leaving hotel very soon. WTF was with the "siren" in the wee hours of the am? Sounded like a warning siren, waited for the imminent tsunami, nothing. Hmmmm....

Nice cool misty morning, great day for a drive.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:04 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I am in Eureka right now. Delivered my son to college. I will be heading home this morning down 101. We stayed at The Bayview Motel. It's quite nice and very clean (wifey approves.)
Hope to meet up with you at some point during your visit Mr. Moffat.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:02 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll be in the east bay tonight in Danville, then heading to LA on the 23rd.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:09 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

OK, sittin at a "saloon" in San Fran, not quite sure where.

FWIW:
Hwy 36 was AWESOME!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Tone
Racer

OK, sittin at a "saloon" in San Fran, not quite sure where.

FWIW:
Hwy 36 was AWESOME!
Glad to hear it!
Join the club

Quick Reply: 993 Roadtrip Vancouver-Bay Area