Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun first day of tinkering with the car....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 11:28 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fun first day of tinkering with the car....

since the bilsteins are on back order and couldnt do the DIY suspension install this weekend.. drove to my father in laws house to do some small stuff on his lift - which is awesome by the way. Thats his '72 RS clone in the pics as well. Anyway we:

• Changed the gear oil to Redline to try and get rid of the notchy 1-2 shift (it seemed to make it better although its not gone)

• Got rid of the engine and tranny tray (why this was put on the car who knows)

• Polished the car and got rid of most of the paint imperfections and added a good coat of wax

• put the Carrera badge back

all in all the car is in great shape... amazing for a 15 yr old car. Still smiling ear to ear that I actually own it. It really is a dream come true since I had a poster of the 959 hanging in my room in the mid 80s.

next up: suspension setup and doing something about those horrible muffler tips. Maybe DACH xpipe /muffler setup too
Attached Images     
Old 08-07-2010, 11:35 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 474 Posts

Don't be shy, post more pics. More of 993 and RS clone.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:03 AM
ryano
Burning Brakes

I dont really have any other pics of the car right now... just this last one. I am waiting to get rid of the SUV height to take any "real" pics. I figure posting pics of a OEM C2 isnt super exciting

As for the RS clone that is a different matter. Amazing car. Its a 72 lightweight body with a 3.2 from an 84 Carrera with PMO carbs. Here are a few pics.. let me see if I can dig up some more I took with a better camera.
Attached Images      
Old 08-08-2010, 12:13 AM
ryano
Burning Brakes

more of the RS clone

Old 08-08-2010, 12:52 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Cool. Looking forward to more pics. FWIW, I think most people actually keep the tranny tray on.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:54 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's one fine replica. And now you have a 993.

Life is good.

chuck
Old 08-08-2010, 12:57 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 474 Posts

Very cool car your father in law has there. At least he "understands"!

BTW, I NEVER tire of looking at these cars, stock or not. Watching a car's "transformation" is fun.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:58 AM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 709 Likes on 316 Posts

Sweet garage set up with lift & lot's of tools.
Not to mention nice selection of P-cars

Rich
Old 08-08-2010, 03:15 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Congrats on the car. Nice color. Those tips aren't that bad - hit 'em with some chrome polish and it will look like a new car.

dave
Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 AM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Very cool car your father in law has there. At least he "understands"!

BTW, I NEVER tire of looking at these cars, stock or not. Watching a car's "transformation" is fun.

his car is really cool.... and he built the whole thing from scratch too. Its also super clean... won his class for last years Concours in the Peachstate PCA. Now that he has the lift his setup over there is pretty incredible. I am looking forward to learning to work on the 993 like that
Old 08-08-2010, 10:09 AM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, great looking cars. Silver just looks right on these cars.

That RS look is exactly what I want some day. A 72 coupe (with oil door) and an updated power plant with carbs, PERFECT!

I gotta ask, does he let you drive it? If so can you give your thought's on "feel" from old to newer.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:49 AM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rsr91128
Wow, great looking cars. Silver just looks right on these cars.

That RS look is exactly what I want some day. A 72 coupe (with oil door) and an updated power plant with carbs, PERFECT!

I gotta ask, does he let you drive it? If so can you give your thought's on "feel" from old to newer.
I haven't driven it... although the newer car shifts smoother. Other than that when you get in the drivers seat the cars are very very similar. I think its awesome a car company pretty much made the same car for that long with only making small changes and improvements
Old 08-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Looks great, you should have pulled off the exhaust tips & polished them, now they look even dirter next tto the shinny paint.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Jack_M
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the comments on the clone. It's my car...i'm the father-in-law Ryan mentions in the threads and a long time rennlis member (albiet inactive for a while). I've included a few more photos of the car. As stated in the thread, the chassis was born a 1972 911 T. It's gone through a full restoration; taken down to the metal, rear quarters cut for 9" RS flares, and refinished with BMW Titanium Silver base coat /clear coat over self etching primer. The engine is a stock bore/stroke 3.2 with JE 9.8:1 forged pistons, heads were ported, Jerry Woods GE 60 cams, Jerry Woods, racing valve springs, titanium valve keepers, 46mm PMO carburetors, and fires through an MSD 6AL running through an MSD timing computer. The Kremer brothers graphics were just installed. I was inspired to do this after studying Dominique Pascal's book documenting Porsche at Le Mans (from the very early days through the 80's). The very early Kremer 911's featured the logo/graphic I've replicated. I'm a fan of the early cars and try to keep the aesthetics as period correct as feasible. This car is short on creature comforts...no heat, no air, but long on fun and a beautiful old-school flat six note. This is probably my last full 911 project...I've done 3 previous cars and now look forward to helping Ryan with bringing the 993 to whatever level he wants.

Thanks again for the comments.
Jack McAllister
Atlanta, GA
Attached Images        
Old 08-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Jack_M
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey gang…I’m the father-in-law and a long time (albeit inactive) rennlist member. I appreciate the kind comments on both cars and am glad ryano posted some photos. Whoever stated, “at least he understands” said a mouthful. I go to great lengths to keep my cars period correct but with just the (IMHO) right amount of personalized tweaks to make them maybe just a little more fun than they were some 38 years ago. Anyway, as requested, a few more photos are here…including a shot of the car as I bought it about 5 years ago. When I acquired this 72 911T, it still had its original 2.4 with MFI and actually would start and run. I had done a similar (Grand Prix white) RS replica but that car had some rust in places we couldn’t get to to properly repair and I never felt real good about that. So I sold the chassis (but kept the fresh 3.2 which was originally built for an RSR project…another story for another time) and found this car which had minor rust around place (battery boxes) that was easy to replace/fix. I did disclose the rust issues to the buyer of the white car by the way. He planned to build a track car out of it so that wasn’t an issue for him. With regard to the engine, it was build fresh from the case out and has Jerry Woods GE 60 cams, Jerry Woods valve springs/titanium keepers, 46mm PMOs, and is fired through an MSD 6AL with the timing and advance controlled by an MSD timing computer. The heads were ported and a special valve job was done by Memphis Motorwerks. Wicky Lowery in Nashville (former tech with Brumos) assembled the case and crank, I completed the top end. It’s a great engine and has good manners in town and doesn’t mind a lively rip over Blood Mountain in North Georgia as often as I can find time to do it.

Thanks again for the comments on the car and thanks to ryano for sharing the initial shots. By the way, he took the really good shots of the replica at Road Atlanta last year. He's an excellent photographer and son-in-law. That he is a P-car enthusiast is an added benefit.
Jack
Attached Images         

Quick Reply: Fun first day of tinkering with the car....