Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well I have decided I will be parting ways with my 993

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:39 PM
DryFly
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't know about price, but would love to hear the Stage 2's !

I'm in Happy Valley.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:47 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

List it for $25-26K and let the market speak for itself. If it sells, great; if not drop the price $1-2K. You'll get offers and then you can decide for yourself
Old 07-29-2010, 03:49 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I think that if you feel your car was unjustly given a salvage title, and it's possible to somehow argue that it shouldn't have been and you could get a clean title, that'd be an extra, say, $10K in your pocket.

Maybe you should investigate that avenue....
Old 07-29-2010, 03:58 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I think that if you feel your car was unjustly given a salvage title, and it's possible to somehow argue that it shouldn't have been and you could get a clean title, that'd be an extra, say, $10K in your pocket.
Wow...that would be a cool "trick." I think in some states they call that "washing the title." If I read the original post correctly, he bought the car already totaled (salvaged) and then proceeded to have the car fixed. I would be surprised if retroactively the state is going to look at a repaired car and make a determination that the car is no longer a salvage. I think once a salvage, always a salvage. This has as much to do with protecting future prospective owners as well as discouraging speculators to buy salvage cars, fix them and sell them for a large profit. Clearly that was not the case here though.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:04 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A man with his priorities in the right spot. IIRC, you're in your early-mid 20s.......refreshing to see someone with their lifetime goals in order. Thinking ahead like this will have you back in a 993 (or whatever you wish) soon enough.
+1

You obviously have a very nice car and I think a buyer will need to see it in the flesh to get over the salvage stigma. I'd take it to every show I could and stick a For Sale sign on it. It's a car with a "story" and those are always harder to sell but if someone likes the look of it (and they will) you'll get a chance to tell the story and eventually someone will pay a decent price. One word of advice, start now because your "final fling" may take you through the summer and out of the market until next year. If you sell it sooner than later consider yourself lucky. GLWTS.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:18 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
Wow...that would be a cool "trick." I think in some states they call that "washing the title." If I read the original post correctly, he bought the car already totaled (salvaged) and then proceeded to have the car fixed. I would be surprised if retroactively the state is going to look at a repaired car and make a determination that the car is no longer a salvage. I think once a salvage, always a salvage. This has as much to do with protecting future prospective owners as well as discouraging speculators to buy salvage cars, fix them and sell them for a large profit. Clearly that was not the case here though.
I have no idea about any of this; just adding my $0.02 worth to a previous thread that mentioned this.

I would imagine, though again I don't know, that there's a difference between trying to defraud the system/future buyer by 'washing the title' and being able to argue that a car that was given a salvage title erroneously.

As I said, I don't know. Perhaps others on the board do.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:49 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Well Thanks for everyones advice, I will think about the starting price a bit more and once i decide to put it up I will put it up on rennlist first.

I dont want to even try to deal with the DMV and try to wash the title.
To me a car that was damaged is a car that was damaged, Clean title or not.
It depends on how it was fixed, I have seen clean title cars I dont even want to try to describe what they have been through.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:51 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DryFly
I'm in Happy Valley.
No problem, Maybe sometime next week we can get together so you can hear them. Pm me toward the end of next week just as a reminder.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:03 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know what the prices for those parts at a dealership are but I would guess in the $4-$7K Plus another $4-$6K in work and that quickly adds up to $8-$13k and these are just guesses, Body shop always try to qoute as high as possible so they dont loos money.
I looked up the parts: new $1900, used $1100. Painting and installation another $1000 or so. A low mileage 993 didn't get totaled for a $2000-$3000 repair. There had to be more damage to the car. Did the car have the salvage title before it needed the door and rocker panel repair, or did the accident that caused the door and rocker panel to need repair also damage the frame?
A while back there was a thread with a car that had a washed title. The buyer thought got a great deal and was going to flip the car, then found out it had a washed salvage title. I'll see if I cant find the thread and bump it.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:33 AM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by richardew
I looked up the parts: new $1900, used $1100. Painting and installation another $1000 or so. A low mileage 993 didn't get totaled for a $2000-$3000 repair. There had to be more damage to the car. Did the car have the salvage title before it needed the door and rocker panel repair, or did the accident that caused the door and rocker panel to need repair also damage the frame?
A while back there was a thread with a car that had a washed title. The buyer thought got a great deal and was going to flip the car, then found out it had a washed salvage title. I'll see if I cant find the thread and bump it.
The rocker panel skin had to be replaced just that alone was $1500 in work, So im not sure where you come up with work and paint for $1k
Anyways like I said the car was not wrecked before this damage and I have pictures of it, there is no point for me to try to explain something unexplainable.
If I worked for the DMV I would try.....
Old 07-30-2010, 03:22 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 944/951guy
The rocker panel skin had to be replaced just that alone was $1500 in work, So im not sure where you come up with work and paint for $1k
Anyways like I said the car was not wrecked before this damage and I have pictures of it, there is no point for me to try to explain something unexplainable.
If I worked for the DMV I would try.....
Sorry, this just does not add up ... post your repair costs for credibility.
Once a car has a Salvage title, you will always have a Story to tell ...
Old 07-30-2010, 01:04 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you know the repair costs, what where they?
What kind of title does the car have? I found this on salvage titles in Oregon.
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I say keep it. The car looks great, but has a bad story.

While you may be able to $28k for it, it will take a while, & you will get a ton of tire kickers! You also need some one with $$, as no bank will finance it. We all know it's had enough to get a loan on a 993 due to the bad KBB values, then add a salvage on top of it.

Keep it, & enjoy!
Old 07-30-2010, 02:14 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd prefer to see pics of the damage and repair, lets stop speculating. We could make up our own minds as to whether this discussion is worth continuing and help the poor guy. What do you say 944guy?
Old 07-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
I'd prefer to see pics of the damage and repair, lets stop speculating. We could make up our own minds as to whether this discussion is worth continuing and help the poor guy. What do you say 944guy?
I'd be interested in seeing before and after pics.

Quick Reply: Well I have decided I will be parting ways with my 993