Sponsored by:

Well I have decided I will be parting ways with my 993

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 12:31 AM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Well I have decided I will be parting ways with my 993

This Decision has been in the back of my mind for a few weeks now and after missing out on my dream home last week because I didnt have enough $$ down I have decided to Part ways with my Dream Porsche.

This is not a for sale add, and I wont be listing the car for a month or so.
Just want to get some of your opinions if my price is right.

Here is some info on the car.

First and Foremost, Salvage Title. I Bought the car with Damage to the Rocker Panel, The outer Rocker Panel skin, Drivers Door & Door Panel were replaced, Thats It. Everything else on the car has not been touched. I have pictures of the damage, During the Repairs and After the Repairs. I am very picky and put in alot of time and alot of money to get it the way it is because I was doing it for myself. Car was repaired by a Family friend that has been in the Auto Body buisness for over 25 Years.

1996 Porsche 911 C2
Black on Cashmere
19K Original Miles.
Has ABD/LSD Option.
6 Speed Manual.

Service:
Updated Pulley & Belts
Brad Penn Oil Used
Stone Guards Replaced
New Rear Lower Control Arms

Upgrades:
55w HID's
Bilstein HD's With M030 Springs
Carbon Fiber Front Strut Bar
Motorsound Airbox
Fister Stage 2 Exhaust with Big Oval Tips
Silver Hood Crest
Optima Red Top Battery
Rennline Harness Bar (Car was never tracked, I like the look of the bar)
Thats it, I think........

Car was Garaged with Cover. All I really have to say is that it Runs, Drives, looks, and handles the way you would expect a 19K mile car.
Everything works, and has absolutly no problems. One or two of the wheels is scratched pretty badly from Transportation when the Truck driver used straps through the wheels.

I will be fairly firm at $28.5
So now my question is what do you guys think?

Again I am not yet ready to part with it this minute so please keep this in mind.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:48 AM
CHRIS WU
Racer

Love the last photo,cause I also have a 91 TT that I built from ground up.and you have a clean 993,please think long and hard before you decide to sell her.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:54 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I think you have a great car that you've spent some time and money to get into fine shape. That said, even with 19K miles, a salvage title is a salvage title.

Me personally, I'd rather spend the same $28K you hope to get, on a similar 993 with the same mods with, say, double the miles and a clear title, rather than be stuck with the stigma of a salvage title, which I think you'll see really hurts the price and makes it a headache to sell, regardless of low miles.

I'd keep the car, if you're able to.

Last edited by goofballdeluxe; 07-29-2010 at 01:00 AM. Reason: me type good one day
Old 07-29-2010, 12:57 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like a nice car, however, the big question remains ... why a Salvage Title with only minor drivers door damage?
For a car valued at $28.5K, an insurance claim in excess of 80% of value ($22.8K) would be required to total the car ... is something is missing here?

Originally Posted by 944/951guy
Here is some info on the car.

First and Foremost, Salvage Title. I Bought the car with Damage to the Rocker Panel, The outer Rocker Panel skin, Drivers Door & Door Panel were replaced, Thats It. Everything else on the car has not been touched.

I have pictures of the damage, During the Repairs and After the Repairs. I am very picky and put in alot of time and alot of money to get it the way it is because I was doing it for myself.
Car was repaired by a Family friend that has been in the Auto Body business for over 25 Years.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:10 AM
jaa1
Rennlist Member

different states have different laws on what it takes to salvage a car, texas for example is 50%.,, I don't know exactly what the law is in California, but I know I have seen 10s of cars with 20% or less damage being salvaged..

Regarding the car in question, I would keep if I were you, or if you really need to sell it, and are firm on the price, you will need to wait a long time to find a buyer, or will need to export it to a non EU country where they don't care about the status of the title..

There is a run and drive salvage 98 C4S with 45k miles on ebay right now for $24k, and it has been sitting there for months.. Car needs about $8k worth of work.., personally, I think this particular example is worth $25k tops fixed in perfect condition:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc..._115932wt_1167

I think market value of OPs car is between 20-22k.. if you really want to find out what it is worth, send it to www.copart.com

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Sounds like a nice car, however, the big question remains ... why a Salvage Title with only minor drivers door damage?
For a car valued at $28.5K, an insurance claim in excess of 80% of value ($22.8K) would be required to total the car ... is something is missing here?
Old 07-29-2010, 01:11 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Bummer, Paul. Do what you can to keep the car.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:48 AM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Every State Has diffrent laws, There is nothing missing only what I said was replaced and damaged and I have pictures to prove what I say.

I have been in the buisness of Wrecked cars for a while and I have seen clean title cars with twice and three times the damage mine had. I cant explain it, its a Messed up system.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:51 AM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jaa1
different states have different laws on what it takes to salvage a car, texas for example is 50%.,, I don't know exactly what the law is in California, but I know I have seen 10s of cars with 20% or less damage being salvaged..

Regarding the car in question, I would keep if I were you, or if you really need to sell it, and are firm on the price, you will need to wait a long time to find a buyer, or will need to export it to a non EU country where they don't care about the status of the title..

There is a run and drive salvage 98 C4S with 45k miles on ebay right now for $24k, and it has been sitting there for months.. Car needs about $8k worth of work.., personally, I think this particular example is worth $25k tops fixed in perfect condition:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc..._115932wt_1167

I think market value of OPs car is between 20-22k.. if you really want to find out what it is worth, send it to www.copart.com
Copart is a site for wrecked cars, or fixed cars with problems and they never get anywhere near top dollar. My car has nothing wrong with it so I dont want to hand it over to some people who wont care about it and will put in a few extra dents at "no extra auction fees".
Old 07-29-2010, 01:53 AM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Bummer, Paul. Do what you can to keep the car.
Its more of a decision for my future then anything. I would love to keep it but I have to build my Future.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:26 AM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul:

+1 for keep it if you possibly can.

Will you be at the August 14th Arrive & Drive?

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:53 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

Its more of a decision for my future then anything. I would love to keep it but I have to build my Future.
A man with his priorities in the right spot. IIRC, you're in your early-mid 20s.......refreshing to see someone with their lifetime goals in order. Thinking ahead like this will have you back in a 993 (or whatever you wish) soon enough.

Salvage title will hurt the car's value. That said, you've documented much of it's rebuild here and the car's colour and mileage will work in your favour. If/when you sell it, detail everything possible and you just might get close.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:55 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car looks great. Why the salvage title? Doorskin and rocker panel on a very low mileage car just doesn't add up to salvage title. New the door skin and rocker panel are ~$1900, used ~$1100. Painting and installation another $1000 or so. It just doesn't add up to a total loss in a 19,000 mile car.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:55 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What a nice ride!! However this will be a tough sell despite the mileage for that $$. Many people, including myself, just do NOT want to own a car with any title that has a negative associated with it, no matter how perfect it has been repaired. Why?? It is just human nature I guess. When you lay out serious $$ you want the best possible purchase and ownership experience. This 'title' issue will just sit in the back of your mind all the time. It would for me and I would hate that. Hopefully you will find that right buyer that doesn't worry about such things. GLWS!!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:09 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a recent buyer, and having been looking over the last 6 months or better here's my .02 cents.

A car of similar miles, clean title would bring low/mid 30's. If, lets say $35k would buy a clean car, I would say a 25-30% hit on value wouldn't be out of the question. Having said that, he's not that far off on price. The problem is that little word salvage stigmatizes the car. We all understand what that word means and I think its going to be a tough sell to anyone with that word attached to it. Might be worth taking those pics to the DMV and fighting the title, see if it can be re-titled as clear or something in between.

GLWTS, its a nice looking car, and with low miles would make a great driver for someone...........but at what price. As said previously, nice to see someone with not a lot of years on them making the "right" decision to help their future bravo
Old 07-29-2010, 09:51 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I do understand that you're putting the funds into a, hopefully, appreciating asset. But I wonder how much of a hit you'll take on the car and will it be worth selling it? Salvage title cars are vehicles that are cars for life, for the amount of money that it cost for you to buy it and fix it up may lead to a thin profit margin.

Quick Reply: Well I have decided I will be parting ways with my 993