Sponsored by:

Bored with my 993!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:36 AM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bored with my 993!

I have been bored w/my 993 lately and I think I need a project. I recently added stainless "Carrera" door sills, picked up a 3 spoke wheel, had a new shifter boot made with a newer shift ****, added some Lloyd floor mats, new stone guards and installed new aluminum bezel rings for the gauges. I also ordered HID lights for my running and fog lights and changed my tranny fluid the other night. These were "throw in mods" and I am still bored!

I am pondering dropping the engine and adding a light weight fly wheel and clutch, changing plugs and wires, changing the valve cover gaskets (not that it needs it), etc.. I think my enjoyment comes more from working on my p-car then driving it. Am I weird?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:41 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i say go for it.

while i have had a lott of rough times working on my car i can honestly say i dont regret it. she really feels like my car now.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:43 AM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by larpy
I think my enjoyment comes more from working on my p-car then driving it. Am I weird?
No, I am split down the middle on enjoyment between tinkering and driving. I am sure I have spent more time piddling around on it than driving it in the last year.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:45 AM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rsr91128
No, I am split down the middle on enjoyment between tinkering and driving. I am sure I have spent more time piddling around on it than driving it in the last year.

+1. I have spent a significant more time tinkering. Glad I am not the only one.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:48 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get really bored, you can build another engine for her. Lots of fun there.

Emerald
Old 07-06-2010, 01:02 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Buy TheOtherEric's Protomotive turbo kit.

(Eric, please drop off the money at the agreed-upon location. Small bills, please.)
Old 07-06-2010, 01:13 AM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Buy TheOtherEric's Protomotive turbo kit.

(Eric, please drop off the money at the agreed-upon location. Small bills, please.)

That would change my mind set for sure! If I had that baby I would never want to stop driving my 993. Chances are I would need to work on it a lot more as I have a feeling I would blow the engine up!
Old 07-06-2010, 01:18 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get a great deal of satisfaction from completing a job on my car, but had much ratcher be driving it. Much of my project time is usually spent trying to make up new curse words because something didn't go as I expected.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:11 AM
azmurciev12
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

get some after market wheels so you can update the looks of the car and keep your interest in it
Old 07-06-2010, 09:13 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. Sometimes, especially in the summer I get bored with my cars. It is not unique to my 993 experience though. It just becomes mortal...a mere car. Somehow the Porsches I have owned became magic again when fall arrived. Maybe it is the light and that cool air in the engine. And the spring. The spring is when all my pent up winter dreaming gets let out to play.

There is nothing like upgrading your car over and over...you keep reinventing the dream but driving it is like waking up...some days are just kind of regular. Larpy...you are some kind of adreniline junkie or something! Re-build your engine with lightweight bits...that should do the trick!
Old 07-06-2010, 09:40 AM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bart1
I get a great deal of satisfaction from completing a job on my car, but had much ratcher be driving it. Much of my project time is usually spent trying to make up new curse words because something didn't go as I expected.
I could not have said it better myself, the latest curse word brainstorm session happened over the DAS Roll bar install!
Old 07-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cohare
I could not have said it better myself, the latest curse word brainstorm session happened over the DAS Roll bar install!
You and me both.

Had a hell of a time lining mine up. Took two peeps and a crow bar in the end.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:19 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been bored w/my 993 lately and I think I need a project. I recently added stainless "Carrera" door sills, picked up a 3 spoke wheel, had a new shifter boot made with a newer shift ****, added some Lloyd floor mats, new stone guards and installed new aluminum bezel rings for the gauges. I also ordered HID lights for my running and fog lights and changed my tranny fluid the other night. These were "throw in mods" and I am still bored!

I am pondering dropping the engine and adding a light weight fly wheel and clutch, changing plugs and wires, changing the valve cover gaskets (not that it needs it), etc.. I think my enjoyment comes more from working on my p-car then driving it. Am I weird?
Oh geesh.....

Take a pill...
Old 07-06-2010, 12:29 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 589 Posts

I have been bored w/my 993 lately
I think my enjoyment comes more from working on my p-car then driving it. Am I weird?
i too enjoy working on the car a bunch, but yes, you are weird..........................
revel in your being an outlier, its good for all of us.

bored with driving?
have you done AX / DE / TT?
that might change your perspective.

craig
Old 07-06-2010, 01:56 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 204 Posts

Have kids yet?

I've been so busy with my little guy that any time I get with the car these days is a treat. But I so much prefer driving it nowadays. I used to be like you though - always looking for something new to do. These days it's more like: sweaty valve cover gasket? Meh, that can wait. Missing seat belt hook cover? Not a big deal, will order it with my next purchase from Sunset. Now I'm just happy I have a few minutes to rip up some mountain roads.

Quick Reply: Bored with my 993!