Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Cover or not to Cover (car cover that is)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 06:30 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default To Cover or not to Cover (car cover that is)

So the wife is back in school and that means I now have to drive the 993 to work every day. Right now it's overcast and in the 70's so its not too bad, but in about a month the temps will be in the 90's and the Sun is going to be beating down on my poor Porsche all day. I put in a work order for covered parking spots but I am not going to wait for that standing up

Is a car cover a good idea in this situation? I am pondering buying a cheapo Autozone cover temporarily to see if I can put up with the install/remove twice a day, plus I will have to keep the car very clean... If it works out I may get a nicer Coverking or Covercraft cover.

I guess this was more of a "whine" than a question...
Thanks all,
- Peter
Old 06-17-2010, 06:45 PM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I personally wouldn't use a cover in a daily situation. Install/remove you will find is not a big deal (less than a minute), but the risk that you run is any dirt on the surface of the car or the inside of the cover liner may be ground into the paint in the act of installing or removing the cover. Nicer covers will have liners which minimize this, but nothing will prevent it completely.

In your case, I'd say just put up a sun visor to minimize the sun on the dash / interior, and leave it at that. If you're really paranoid about the sun, maybe find a wax with a UV blocker in it.

Whining is allowed but at the end of the day just remember you're whining about Porsche ownership.

- Dave
Old 06-17-2010, 07:11 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Personally I wouldn't put a cover on the car outside, especially if you have to put it on at the beginning of the day and remove it later. Any wind will cause the cover to rub against the paintwork and anything abrasive will result in damage, especially the cheaper covers you mentioned.

Since my car is an occasional use vehicle I keep it under a soft cover during the week when its sitting in the garage and remove it at the weekends so that its ready to go for those fun trips out.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:29 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cover my car everyday as long as it is relatively clean. I use a nice Porsche silverguard cover and do not cover it if it has spent more than a couple of hours outside uncovered. At the end of the week the car will have a very light dust on parts of it but otherwise stays really clean. When covered regularly, I only have to wash it every two weeks.

Yes, there is evidence of very light scratches on the fender flares where most of the contact occurs but this removes very easily with a light polish and wax. Also, it takes a couple months before the light scratches even appear, however my car is red, not black.

I think the benefits of sun protection, bird protection, a**hole protection, and greatly reduced need for washing are worth it. There is a trade-off though and to each his own.

Here's a picture because we all like pictures.
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2010, 07:40 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Especially on a black car I'd avoid using a cover except indoors when the car and cover are 100% clean. Put sunshades in the front and rear and hope an indoor space opens up soon.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:51 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

My opinion is to use some 303 Aerospace Protectant on the surfaces that get direct sun and forget the cover. 303 should mitigate any sun damage that could occur until your covered parking space comes up.

Car covers are a magnet for ne'er do wells, because they know anyone "****" enough to cover their car will be really pissed to come out and find the cover gone, or the car keyed. A Porsche only makes it worse, and unless the cover locks, it's an easy thing to steal.

Sad that's the world we live in, but there ya go.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Be VERY,VERY careful with a cover on a driven car. They can scratch the paint real easy, basically negate the reason for the cover. You also got to keep the car super clean, any dirt, & you WILL scratch the paint. Dark cars are the devil with covers. If you are worried about the interior getting to hot, just get a front sunshade, & you can do the O ones for the rear.

If you are going to cover it, get a really nice flannel cover, that is soft on the inside.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:30 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 287 Posts

I beg to differ with STEALTH993. IMHO, flannel-lined covers are terrible. They trap grit, are virtually impossible to get clean and very heavy. I do, however vote for COVERKING Stormproof covers. Lightweight, strong, most waterproof I've ever found, form-fitting, slick and don't trap grit. EZ on, EZ off. www.ajusa.com (no affiliation).
Old 06-17-2010, 08:37 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 550 Likes on 373 Posts

I have used a Porsche SilvergArd cover outside for close to three years. I don't use it eve eryday, but generally cover the car for the first few days after washing. Once it starts to show a little dirt I stop covering it until I get around to washin it. So far, the scratches that appear are very minor and easily polished out evry year. The risk of severe staining and marks left by bird droppings is far worse...which is the main reason I cover it. The bird c**p came bake on in minutes and really etch intothe paint...does not easily polish out. Wash your cover every so often to keep it clean.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
I beg to differ with STEALTH993. IMHO, flannel-lined covers are terrible. They trap grit, are virtually impossible to get clean and very heavy. I do, however vote for COVERKING Stormproof covers. Lightweight, strong, most waterproof I've ever found, form-fitting, slick and don't trap grit. EZ on, EZ off. www.ajusa.com (no affiliation).
You do have a point, but we are talking about 2 different ones. The 4 season ones are big, bulky & heavy. the new stretch ones are much better, & the nap on the inside doesn't grab stuff like the other ones. They are not waterproof like the other ones.

Originally Posted by 95_993
I have used a Porsche SilvergArd cover outside for close to three years. I don't use it eve eryday, but generally cover the car for the first few days after washing. Once it starts to show a little dirt I stop covering it until I get around to washin it. So far, the scratches that appear are very minor and easily polished out evry year. The risk of severe staining and marks left by bird droppings is far worse...which is the main reason I cover it. The bird c**p came bake on in minutes and really etch intothe paint...does not easily polish out. Wash your cover every so often to keep it clean.
Bird poop can still stain the car through a cover, it can make the cover stick, as can acid rain & even pitch. Either way, you don't leave the "crap" on the car.

I no longer cover the C4S, it was getting scratched, & really since it stays in the garage it only protected her from dust, I don't like to have to polish the car at all if i can help it. Right now it's been over 2 years with out a polish after my first big 4 step polish.

Also, I do live in Seattle, we DO NOT get the sun that So-Cal & other southern states do.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:15 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Seems like we have a fairly split crowd here
I plan on washing the car on Sunday, wax it, dry it and then cover it. Monday morning is a 7 mile drive to work. I have a california duster in the trunk in case the car isn't spotless before covering it.
My interior is pristine and I would cry if the dash started to warp or crack. The paint is just... eh.
My guess is I will do this for about two weeks, get sick of it and try to find a $600 Honda I can drive to work!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:34 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I drive the car maybe 2 or 3 days (max) per week to work, to a parking lot that requires badge access, and has LOTS of birds crapping all over everything. From May through October here the sun is brutal, despite me using 303 and good waxes (P21S, Griots, etc) I want more protection. I park in the 'north 40' away from everyone, and california duster the car before my Porsche silverguard cover goes on. I have found that my 'every time I wash I pick one panel to clay,hand polish and wax' cycle where by the time I've washed the car about 6 or 7 times the entire cars has been 3-stepped, plus a once per year clay and machine polish. keep the paint in good shape regarding spider scratches. I'm not filthy rich like most Porsche owners I've come across, this will be the only (and last) Porsche I own, it's already 15 years old and I still owe $9k on it and IBM is rumoured to be putting all us grey-hairs on the old pension plan out to pasture at the end of this year or next, so no more toys for me. I cover it because it's the best overall protection during the brutal f*cking summer here. My stress relief from this f*cking job is to putter in the garden and wash and obsess over this car and my paid-for Cooper.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I've been covering my cars when they are parked outside since 1975. I couldn't stand to see my MGB uncovered. The 993 gets covered with a silver-guard when outside and a micro-cover in the garage. The 993 is always clean and waxed so there are no issues.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:12 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

I've been using my 993 as a DD for the past month and I've covered it outside every day with a Silverguard cover. I haven't noticed any issues with scratching, but I do keep the car pretty clean. As others have said, I prefer the minor risks associated with the cover to the damage caused by bird poop, sun, etc.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:29 AM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get something somewhat custom fitted for the 911/993 to aviod any wind related issues. Keep the car clean, the cover clean, use the California duster thing and I think you'll be fine.

Worst case: it's left uncovered Thurs and Fri because the car has gotten too dirty to cover that late in the week.

P.S. Careful of the exhaust tips, I have melted/burned a couple small holes in my cover from the elastic pulling it down over the hot tips.

Quick Reply: To Cover or not to Cover (car cover that is)