Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Cover or not to Cover (car cover that is)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 05:58 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Without a cover the sun will also trash the rear deck in no time. At the very least put an old towel on there to cover it completely. It might even save your rear speakers.

The sun is a lot more harmful than dust. I would go with a cover most of the time, as long as the car is not filthy. +1 with being careful with the hot exhaust, and securing it carefully for the wind.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I use a Porsche Silverguard cover on the days that I drive the 993 to work (only 1-2 times a week), however, my car is black, with a black interior, and my office is right next to the 405 fwy, so there is a LOT of dust and crap floating around.

My primary concern is the sun beating down on a black car. my car is far from perfect, and while I try to avoid scratches, it is inevitable for the kind of driving I do, mostly I am concerned with protecting the interior and keeping the heat out of the car.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:03 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 993 is always clean and waxed so there are no issues.
That's the key, a clean car. I might agree with covering a silver car everyday but for a black car I wouldn't - just driving it gets it dirty and the dirt accumulates on the inside of the cover. Yes you can buff out the scratches but only so many times before the paint starts getting thin. A good coat of wax and bird poop won't stain, especially a black car, as long as you don't let it stay on there too long. Also ever try to put on a car cover properly (folded in the middle, inside out) on nicely waxed car on a windy day? It ends up on the ground. Use sunshades front and rear and save your paint.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:23 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 550 Likes on 373 Posts

A good coat of wax and bird poop won't stain, especially a black car,
The birds here in NE need to switch their diet. I can tell you from experience on multiple black cars, the toxic a$$ shots they drop leave marks through the wax in hours.

Quick Reply: To Cover or not to Cover (car cover that is)