Sponsored by:

The great engine build project begins

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 02:09 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Just because I am paranoid, after you assemble, are you going to check the piston/valve clearance in a number of positions near TDC (or where the cam puts the valve nearest the piston)? This would confirm the valve is gaining clearance from the machined pocket.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-08-2010, 03:03 AM
avslash
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread. I harbor the hope of tackling the top end on mine when the time comes. Very interested to see your progress and hear your comments.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:50 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Just because I am paranoid, after you assemble, are you going to check the piston/valve clearance in a number of positions near TDC (or where the cam puts the valve nearest the piston)? This would confirm the valve is gaining clearance from the machined pocket.

Cheers,

Mike
RS (Supersport) cams do not present a piston-to-valve clearance issue with OEM 100mm pistons unless the larger RS intake valves are used.

RSR cams on the other hand, are totally different and other measures are required for clearance. Naturally, nobody would be using those cams with the OEM single-throttle intake system anyway,....

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 06-08-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:03 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Steve, info sent. Looking forward to talking with you.... I think.

Thanks,
Emerald
Old 06-08-2010, 11:14 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RSR cams on the other hand, are totally different and other measures are required for clearance. Naturally, nobody woulkd be using those cams with the OEM single-throttle intake system anyway,....
NOBODY? Nobody with brains, anyway. A guy stumbled my way probably 8-9 years ago who was sold a bunch of parts, and insisted he'd be making the killer track car with a bunch of 3.8 castoff stuff. Didn't work out so well when I heard later. (I think he went through 3 3.6's before he figured out his nifty front oil tank system wasn't working correctly.)
Old 06-08-2010, 11:19 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by avslash
Great thread. I harbor the hope of tackling the top end on mine when the time comes. Very interested to see your progress and hear your comments.
I'm fast approaching the 30th anniversary of being a naive 18 year old with a broken 2.0S. It got done, and the rebuild (and what came later) has basically shaped my life. I got a lot of advice from the likes of Bruce Anderson, Jerry Woods, Jim Pasha, etc. who were here locally. Steve and others "in the biz" have demonstrated they are very forthcoming with their expertise and time; and guys like me a few steps down the food chain are also available. I wouldn't discourage anyone with the desire from having a go.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RS (Supersport) cams do not present a piston-to-valve clearance issue with OEM 100mm pistons unless the larger RS intake valves are used.

RSR cams on the other hand, are totally different and other measures are required for clearance. Naturally, nobody woulkd be using those cams with the OEM single-throttle intake system anyway,....
What kind of gains would you see with the RS (supersport) cams and stock valves assuming I have headders and already have all the good stuff inside like compression bumped up to the full 11.3 carillos etc, good valve springs and retainers etc... Im sitting at 265ish to the ground now. Redline set to 6800.

How hard to change out if motor already out of the car for tranny work?

Jeff
Old 06-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Here is my thinking. If you have to machine a pocket on the piston, then its worth a check. Why? Well, given its the first time he has put a 911 engine together, it's a good experience to do this, it also checks that the timing is relatively close (or 180 degrees out...LOL). Remember, he is not paying for his labor, so at the worse case it adds to the understanding on how this works, and at most the procedure will take a few hours.

If you are only machining the intake pockets, does it also double checks that the pistons have been put in with the correct orientation? Again, first time through, its possible to put the pistons in upside down especially on a rotating stand where the engine could be top down. Just trying to cover all the bases...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-08-2010, 11:30 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by race911
I'm fast approaching the 30th anniversary of being a naive 18 year old with a broken 2.0S. It got done, and the rebuild (and what came later) has basically shaped my life. I got a lot of advice from the likes of Bruce Anderson, Jerry Woods, Jim Pasha, etc. who were here locally. Steve and others "in the biz" have demonstrated they are very forthcoming with their expertise and time; and guys like me a few steps down the food chain are also available. I wouldn't discourage anyone with the desire from having a go.
Hey Ken,

Pretty much what I have been thinking. It is great that there are so many experienced folks who are willing to share the knowledge. I am more likely to attempt a project because I feel there are mentors out there to help, so a big thanks to all who are helping.

Thanks,
Emerald
Old 06-08-2010, 11:37 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike J
Here is my thinking. If you have to machine a pocket on the piston, then its worth a check. Why? Well, given its the first time he has put a 911 engine together, it's a good experience to do this, it also checks that the timing is relatively close (or 180 degrees out...LOL). Remember, he is not paying for his labor, so at the worse case it adds to the understanding on how this works, and at most the procedure will take a few hours.

If you are only machining the intake pockets, does it also double checks that the pistons have been put in with the correct orientation? Again, first time through, its possible to put the pistons in upside down especially on a rotating stand where the engine could be top down. Just trying to cover all the bases...

Cheers,

Mike
Hey Mike,

Yeah, thank goodness I am not paying for my labor, because I am going slow

I plan on taking my time and doing it right. Some parts will be easier because I just did them, and now will redo them, but it is still fun. It is a fun journey that I enjoy and am looking forward to the outcome. It is always interesting to see the different approaches that can be taken.

Thanks,
Emerald
Old 06-08-2010, 11:37 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best of luck with it Emerald... and thanks for sharing your work/process with us.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:12 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by e3photo
You just might be getting some more goodies from me
Music to my ears!

Andreas
Old 06-12-2010, 11:18 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by jhummel68
Here is another one subscribing to this thread. I've rebuilt a few VW motors before but this takes it to the next level.
We should try to rebuild a Type 1 motor during TOMMY10. Soap would be more than happy to offer his room for this!

Andreas
Old 06-13-2010, 02:08 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AOW162435
We should try to rebuild a Type 1 motor during TOMMY10. Soap would be more than happy to offer his room for this!

Andreas
Absolutely! I think my best time for an engine drop was an hour and 15 minutes working solo. My best results are when I am drinking a beer and working on the car. This will be the prefect combination.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:18 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Thought I would add a quick update. The heads pistons are off to Steve for some work, but I found a box on the porch today.
I sent my fuel injectors off to RC Engineering, and they are back. They do great work and have a short turn around. You get a print out of before and after.
Thought I would share a few pics.

Enjoy,
Emerald
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: The great engine build project begins