Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st mod..... short shifter, but which one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 07:34 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Very good point. Never thought of that. Whilst we don't have to worry too much about the cold in Dallas, the heat is an issue. I usually try to park in the shade or covered parking lot but that's not always possible.
If you go with the Rothsport, just throw a glove or towel over the shifter when parked in the sun.

If I go with the modified RS-SSK + goldenrod I'm going to need to find a better shift ****, so the Rothsport might be the way to go. The stock one isn't great ergonomically and has to go. Would the Cayman shifter fit on the linkage bar?
Don't know about the Cayman, but you can buy 996 shifts ***** from Gert (www.carnewal.com) that fit the 993 RS SSK, or you can buy a 993 RS shift **** with is IMHO a big ergonomic improvement over stock.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:45 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Not really crazy about the look of the RS shift ****. The 'aluminum' part is also plastic and I think alloy is a more classy look. I've tried the 996 carbon shift I wasn't impressed with that either....it creaked when pushed and didn;t have a solid feel.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:38 AM
dtm407
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i recently installed the FDM/rothsport short shift kit. I previously had a b&m short shift kit in the car but needed to replace it since it broke. (i have not had any experience with a non short shift car since my car came with the b&m short shifter installed). The difference between the two short shift kits is night and day. The FDM/rothsport is light-years ahead in quality of components, tactile feel while shifting, and precision.

I live in florida and we started our 90+ degree days a few weeks ago. I have a black rothsport shifter. The shifter does not get hot after the car sits in the hot sunlight. (probably since it is a solid piece of metal and any heat picked up from the hot cabin/direct sunlight is transferred to the cooler metal shift assembly).

The rothsport shifter is incredibly well made has a great tactile feel that no multiple piece shifter can compete with.

The real money piece however is the FDM short shift component. Replacing the stock ball-cup joint with the precise roller bearing joint is similar to replacing your rubber bushing with monoball joints. You do not realize how squishy and soft the stock shifter is until you try the FDM. While shifting between gears, you can now tell exactly the shifter position and shifting into the wrong gear greatly decreased.

I have my car worked on at a race shop where 200K+ cars are not uncommon- in other words, they have seen it all and are difficult to impress. They liked the rothsport shift and thought it looked cool, but their first words after seeing the FDM short shift kit was " this is nice stuff" and " you are going to like this". For a street car, they thought best bang for the buck was FDM short shift kit (with or without the rothsport shifter).

If i were you, i would go for the rothsport shifter because you are always going to want it and you might as well only pay for the cost of installation once.

BTW, Darrin at FDM is great and very helpful to work with.

doug
Old 05-24-2010, 04:34 PM
FD Motorsports
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 89 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dtm407
i recently installed the FDM/rothsport short shift kit. I previously had a b&m short shift kit in the car but needed to replace it since it broke. (i have not had any experience with a non short shift car since my car came with the b&m short shifter installed). The difference between the two short shift kits is night and day. The FDM/rothsport is light-years ahead in quality of components, tactile feel while shifting, and precision.

I live in florida and we started our 90+ degree days a few weeks ago. I have a black rothsport shifter. The shifter does not get hot after the car sits in the hot sunlight. (probably since it is a solid piece of metal and any heat picked up from the hot cabin/direct sunlight is transferred to the cooler metal shift assembly).

The rothsport shifter is incredibly well made has a great tactile feel that no multiple piece shifter can compete with.

The real money piece however is the FDM short shift component. Replacing the stock ball-cup joint with the precise roller bearing joint is similar to replacing your rubber bushing with monoball joints. You do not realize how squishy and soft the stock shifter is until you try the FDM. While shifting between gears, you can now tell exactly the shifter position and shifting into the wrong gear greatly decreased.

I have my car worked on at a race shop where 200K+ cars are not uncommon- in other words, they have seen it all and are difficult to impress. They liked the rothsport shift and thought it looked cool, but their first words after seeing the FDM short shift kit was " this is nice stuff" and " you are going to like this". For a street car, they thought best bang for the buck was FDM short shift kit (with or without the rothsport shifter).

If i were you, i would go for the rothsport shifter because you are always going to want it and you might as well only pay for the cost of installation once.

BTW, Darrin at FDM is great and very helpful to work with.

doug
Doug,
Thanks for the nice props. I'm glad you are happy with the FD Motorsports/Rothsport set up. We are happy with the results of our joint venture with Jeff (Rothsport). He's a great guy to work with and makes some very nice stuff.

Darin Fister

Old 05-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone have a picture of this short shifter installed with a boot or bare?
Old 05-25-2010, 06:06 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

A few pics in this thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...r-awesome.html
Old 05-25-2010, 07:43 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a couple of others here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ll-almost.html

and here:https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...t-wrap-up.html
Old 05-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 350 Posts
Smile

++"IMHO the best value is the FD Motorsports modified RS-SSK + Golden Rod."

I went with the Platinum Rod and the SSK from FD Motorsports, couldn't be happier.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:52 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind, any shift lever is just that, a lever. The shorter you make it the harder it will be to move the object at the other end, i.e. the gears. The factory SSK is about a 25% reduction in movement and some people want more. I've had stock and currently have the factory SS lever, the difference isn't huge, but I do like it. I don't think I'd want to have to push any harder so my recommendation is to go with the FD Motorsports pieces. I think if you go much shorter than the factory version the effort just gets too high and you lose some of the lightness/feel. ymmv

Last edited by 1pcarnut; 05-28-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:35 AM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

I just went through the same decision process and was seriously considering the new Rothsport / FDM JV project but in the end, landed on the FDM SSK w. Goldenrod. I am very pleased with the product and, in combination with the RS engine mounts, it transforms the car.
Cheers,
Bob
Old 05-28-2010, 01:11 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Don't forget to get the forward rod...not fun when the plastic cup disintegrates and leaves you stranded
Old 05-28-2010, 02:08 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David in LA
Don't forget to get the forward rod...not fun when the plastic cup disintegrates and leaves you stranded
Whats the forward rod? At this moment I'm 95% sure I'll go with the Rothsport/FD SSK + goldenrod. The RS motor mounts sound like a reasonably priced upgrade too.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:22 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
Whats the forward rod? At this moment I'm 95% sure I'll go with the Rothsport/FD SSK + goldenrod. The RS motor mounts sound like a reasonably priced upgrade too.
The FDM SSK comes with a brand new front rod and mount, all in stainless steel, eliminating the ball/cup entirely.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:47 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

How easy is it for someone with basic skills and tools to swap out the std shifter with the SSK and goldenrod. Does the job have to be done from under the car and if yes, will a couple of jacks and axle stands suffice? Ed China on the Wheeler Dealers show makes it all so easy...
Old 05-28-2010, 06:12 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

How easy is it for someone with basic skills and tools to swap out the std shifter with the SSK and goldenrod. Does the job have to be done from under the car and if yes, will a couple of jacks and axle stands suffice? Ed China on the Wheeler Dealers show makes it all so easy...
This is not a complicated mod. You will need jack stands, preferably four but you could do two on one side and "tilt" the car. Once you have the tunnel cover off you will see it is just a matter of undoing nuts and bolts. To remove the shift lever cover, sitting in the passenger seat push down gently on the left side of the cover, it will pop down, then just move the cover to the left a little and it comes out of the slot on the right side. Then shift boot will come off with a little pulling, you don't have to remove any of the center console in the car, it's pretty much all done underneath.

Quick Reply: 1st mod..... short shifter, but which one?