Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

photobucket having issues tonight.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:56 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I carry a 2.5lb extinguisher in my car all the time. I have the engine undertray OFF and she's as dry as a bone 'underneath'. Still, 'for that peace of mind' - when *I* - or *someone else* might need it - for whatever reason - it's just an arm's-length away.

Gerry

FWIW, if you do a search (google, bing...) the make that is VERY prone to 'spontaneous fires' is... Ferrari. See www.wreckedexotics.com for some really scary pix !
Old 05-18-2010, 05:28 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2.5lb Halon extinguisher with a BK seat rail mount that I keep in the SC just in case of a fuel line rupture somewhat common in 80's and earlier cars. It's better to help save a car than stand around and watching it burn.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:50 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has there been any instances where a 993 caught on fire lately? And what was the cause?
Old 05-18-2010, 05:54 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Great responses as usual. Thanks all! The thing that tips it for me is that I never thought of how having one on board might help someone else! Ok, now let's talk brackets. Mr Andreas has one that looks different from some of the others. Is it easy to find alternatives? Anything I should stay away from. I'd love to mount it in the rear, but once in a while I carry a third person and they can't sit behind me, so that leaves the passenger side. Do folks find attaching the mount to the center console too limiting in space for the passenger?
Old 05-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

hombre, i'm not sure if it would be acceptable to you, but mine is mounted on the transmission tunnel in the rear. Made up a custom bracket over the tunnel that mounts into the rear inside seat belt bolts. If you are interested I can try to dig up a picture.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarhombre
Mr Andreas has one that looks different from some of the others.
Mr. Hom,
The bracket I have (Stable Energies) moves with the passenger seat and is very reasonably priced. Check it out.

Andreas
Old 05-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Since photobucket is back up and running. If anyone isn't convinced. I could have easily saved my Rover if I had a fire extinguisher. Speculation is that it was a battery runaway. Fire burned pretty small for 2 or 3 minutes, then when it took off, goodby...

Old 05-18-2010, 10:42 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the link Sir Andreas.
Rick, I'm glad you were on the outside taking pics instead of the coroner!
Paul, I like the sound of your solution. It would seem to be easily removed if I have to carry dead weight (pun intended!) I'd like to see pics if you can find them.

Although a small percentage of folks responded, it seems clear that the represented majority of you carry the Halon cans. I'm going to try and save the island lol. No smoke monster for me. Cans it is!!
Old 05-18-2010, 10:59 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great responses as usual. Thanks all! The thing that tips it for me is that I never thought of how having one on board might help someone else! Ok, now let's talk brackets. Mr Andreas has one that looks different from some of the others. Is it easy to find alternatives? Anything I should stay away from. I'd love to mount it in the rear, but once in a while I carry a third person and they can't sit behind me, so that leaves the passenger side. Do folks find attaching the mount to the center console too limiting in space for the passenger?
Mounting it in the rear passenger footwell is great for keeping it out of the way, but unless you are very flexible it may be difficult to retrieve. IMHO the two main considerations re: placement (aside from aesthetics) is to put it in a location that is easily accessible to you and also is not intrusive to your or passengers. I have mine mounted on the drivers side...one because the wife is clumsy and would probably bang her foot exiting/entering and of course blame me, and second because it is much easier to retrieve when you are belted in (you should belt yourself in and make sure you can reach the extinguisher with one hand...including the possibility that the belt may be retracted in an accident).

Mine is mounted using the BK universal bracket - frankly it's not as clean as the 993-specific mount and is a little more pricey, but as it is a universal it allows you to adjust the placement...I have it tucked as much under the front seat as possible - it does take a little getting used to so you don't catch your shoe on it. I also went with the BK quick release, which is gorgeous but pricey...it does allow you to mount the FE even tighter under the seat. The way I have it mounted I can reach down with either hand and and get the FE within 3-5 seconds without looking.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:29 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi folks! On a scale of 1-5, how necessary is a fire extinguisher to carry in the car (assuming no track time and no smoking of crack while driving)? IF you rate this as a must have item, is there one type superior to another?
Well if your 993 has a bad harness you haven't gotten around to replacing, then it would be a "5"

There was also the recent issue of the MY03 Turbo 996 having bad power steering pumps that would dump pentosin on the exhange/heat exchangers, including one Rennlister whose yellow TT went up in flames just as he exited.

Also this pic of a rennlisters 928:
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=pcarhombre;7582637]
Paul, I like the sound of your solution. It would seem to be easily removed if I have to carry dead weight (pun intended!) I'd like to see pics if you can find them.
QUOTE]

I don't have any pictures of my own, but I got the idea from the last post in this thread:

I mounted my unit lengthwise along the torque tube tunnel, though. I just cut some aluminum plate using a cardboard template, had it chromated, bent the wings to fit the tunnel, and then painted it black.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

David, you gotta warn us about graphic picture content!
Old 05-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...battery runaway...Falcondrvr
Was that a Lucas battery, perchance, Rick?

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher