Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

First-time buyer advice 993 (C4S vs Turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:41 PM
ab2010
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First-time buyer advice 993 (C4S vs Turbo)

Hi all!

I'm a first-time buyer on the market considering getting either a 993 C4S or a 993 Turbo. I have my mind set on a 993 (but not on a particular model year). Here are my questions:

- Would you discourage a first-timer buyer from getting a 993 Turbo (vs a C4S)? Why?

- What would be the annual upkeep/maintenance for a 993 C4S and a 993 Turbo (no modifications, just upkeep)?

- What is the downside to removing the rear spoiler of a Turbo (or a tuned car)?

- What are the considerations to keep in mind when it comes to the model year?

- Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks so much in advance!!
Old 05-12-2010, 04:51 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

- I wouldn't discourage anyone from owning an AWD twin turbo Porsche, even people with little experience with high powered sports cars. The AWD and twin turbos made the 993TT pretty tame in the corners, compared to its predecessors (RWD single turbo cars).

- That depends on how well maintained the car has been but generally expect to pay a little more with a turbo. Even if everything else stayed the same you'd be buying tires more often with the turbo

- You can't remove the rear spoiler as the intercooler would stick out. If you hate the looks you're stuck with a C4S.

- I can't think of a major difference between the 1996-98 turbo or C4S cars.

- The C4S is quite a car in itself, I personally prefer it to a turbo as it has cleaner lines (especially without the rear wiper). The other thing that made me choose it is that unfortunately I wouldn't be able to use a turbo to its fullest potential on public roads.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ab2010
Hi all!

I'm a first-time buyer on the market considering getting either a 993 C4S or a 993 Turbo. I have my mind set on a 993 (but not on a particular model year). Here are my questions:

- Would you discourage a first-timer buyer from getting a 993 Turbo (vs a C4S)? Why?

- What would be the annual upkeep/maintenance for a 993 C4S and a 993 Turbo (no modifications, just upkeep)?

- What is the downside to removing the rear spoiler of a Turbo (or a tuned car)?

- What are the considerations to keep in mind when it comes to the model year?

- Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks so much in advance!!
1. you gotta start somewhere, might as well get the car YOU want. 993Turbo and C4S are two different cars. I would not discourage anyone based on the type of car, I would only discourage someone if they really could not afford to properly maintain either car. The TT will cost more to maintain in the long run. However initially, either one might be more depending on the condition.
2. depends on how much you drive, and how much you do yourself. A tune up on a Turbo is big $$. oil is expensive, and both cars use a lot of it. oil change will run a few hundred.
3. not sure what you mean, because of the inter-cooler on the turbo, a tail is needed to house the physical dimensions, you cannot put a NA engine lid on a turbo, you can put a different tail on however, i.e. GT2, turbo-S etc...
4. read, search is your friend. basically there are 2 and 4 wheel drive variants, coupe and cab, NA and turbo. unless you plan to drive in snow and/or a lot of wet, 4wd isn't a necessity, but you get it with the turbo or the C4S. 2wd and 4wd handle differently, you need to drive both to see which you prefer, or if it doesn't matter to you. S models have wider rear fenders, like the turbo model, but without the turbo motor.
5. lots: you found the right place to learn, which is right here, search the archives, many have come before you, and there is a treasure trove of information and great advice buried in these archives.

good luck!
Old 05-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Welcome to RL. A couple of threads that will help you with your questions:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ns-wanted.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...uld-i-get.html
Old 05-12-2010, 05:12 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Questions to you before one can give reasonable advice:
(1) What kind of driving do you do? If you like acceleration or a lot of freeway cruisng, the tt wins.
(2) What kind of car do you drive now? The C4S has meager tq compared to the tt, especially in higher gears. If you now drive a tq monster, you will regret the C4S.
(3) Do you like to own an exclusive car? If yes, the tt wins.
(4) Are you the type who is itchy to upgrade until you reach the top? If yes, save some money and go straight for the tt. Trading up is costly.

CP
Old 05-12-2010, 05:13 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you can afford either, get the Turbo. It's just as tractable around town or in traffic as the C4S, but the boost is addicting.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:37 PM
ab2010
Rennlist Member

Default Reply

First off, thanks so much for your super swift and good replies!! That's really fantastic!

To your replies. To make all of your replies easier to digest, I tried to regroup your points and reply to them bunched together:

- I noted that one cannot remove the spoiler ( :-((( ), which is too bad because I really like the cleaner (and humbler) look without a spoiler so much more. Thanks for pointing this out!

- Without having owned such a car before, I cannot imagine that one could really use the full potential of a Turbo on the road in the US other than in Montana (and I wouldn't take it to a track). I could easily see myself getting addicted to the acceleration though! So yes, acceleration and freeway driving are top of my list.

- I currently don't own a sporty car so either car would be an upgrade. I would want to use the car for every-day driving, would that make a Turbo impractical (or an overkill)?

- As for the model year, I was more referring to the actual year it was built ('94, '95, ..., '98 as far as I know) rather than the model itself (Targa, S, Turbo, ...). Could you help me out with what the considerations are with the different model years?

- Thanks for the remarks about the upkeep! Would you have rough figures for annual upkeep in mind that you could quote here (C4S vs Turbo)?

- Last but not least, would any of you be ok giving me your opinion on a particular car I found?

Again, thanks so much guys!! I really appreciate it. I can't wait to own my first Porsche.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:58 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think all C4S and Turbo are 96-98, so they all have Varioram (I guess Turbos have VR, actually not sure). The 96 ECU is more difficult to remap on non-turbo engines. Getting extra horepower from the NA (normally aspirated, non-turbo) engines is very difficult and expensive, so if you have hopes for big power it will be better to start with the turbo.

It's going to be hard to quote upkeep numbers. I would say the Turbo would be more expensive over several years of ownership due tot he extra components, as well as the extra heat.

Usually NAs sound better.

I'm sure the group would be glad to offer opinion on a particular car, possibly even check it out in person.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:40 PM
ab2010
Rennlist Member

Thanks again! It seems that I should take some time to test drive both cars and see which one I like more. What's the best way/what are the various ways of finding such cars to test drive? Contacting individual sellers? Dealers? Are there other ways?

About my request for opinions from the group, I thought I should clarify that I could send you a website with the car and information and ask you to take a look at it there. I did not mean to ask for anyone's willingness to check it out in person (which would be awesome of course!).

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2010, 07:19 PM
speedbagger
Rennlist Member

send any nice NB coupes you find during your search my way! i'm located in chicago as well and just started searching.

i promise to send the nice turbo's and s's your way...as i can't afford

good luck with your search.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:21 PM
ab2010
Rennlist Member

Also, do you have any advice on car insurance?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:34 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bart1
I think all C4S and Turbo are 96-98, so they all have Varioram (I guess Turbos have VR, actually not sure). The 96 ECU is more difficult to remap on non-turbo engines. Getting extra horepower from the NA (normally aspirated, non-turbo) engines is very difficult and expensive, so if you have hopes for big power it will be better to start with the turbo.

It's going to be hard to quote upkeep numbers. I would say the Turbo would be more expensive over several years of ownership due tot he extra components, as well as the extra heat.

Usually NAs sound better.

I'm sure the group would be glad to offer opinion on a particular car, possibly even check it out in person.
No varioram on turbos. No dual ignition either.

You should drive each 993 iteration. Each has it own feel. If I had to choose between a turbo and C4s it would be a turbo. However, there are those of us who prefer the feel of a rwd drive car and would choose one over either a C4s or turbo. You need to drive each and decide which you like best.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 05-12-2010, 08:09 PM
ab2010
Rennlist Member

Would you say the best way of finding cars to test drive is to contact sellers/dealers? Or are there other/better ways of going about this?
Old 05-12-2010, 08:11 PM
01coccobet
Racer

my 2p idea......

If you hsve a chance to try one of each......"SHE" will tell you!!!!

and you'll fall in love
Old 05-12-2010, 08:19 PM
ab2010
Rennlist Member

oh I have no doubt! She just needs to look at me (and I always thought it should work the other way round)..

problem is: where do you find two of them in the same place to test drive?

Quick Reply: First-time buyer advice 993 (C4S vs Turbo)