Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

First Porsche - allocating 60k for it, what should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:13 PM
skim
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default First Porsche - allocating 60k for it, what should I get?

Hi, I will be allocating 60k for my first porsche and of course it has to be a 993. You know what people say about the first love.
Even though it's realistically a year away, I like doing my research early and when time comes, I just go for it. So your inputs are VERY appreciated.
After doing research, following are my opinions and questions. Please give me honest feedbacks/answers based on your own experiences and some you've seen.

C2 - Great "starter" 993 but since I am looking at $60k for this, kind of out of the picture.
Cab - I just like the roofline of 993, so this one is out.
Targa - I like the idea of all glass roof, but my research shows it's noisy on freeways and it leaks water? Also not sure how reliable the sliding glass will be since it shows it's about 80lbs for the glass?? Sounds like it'll wear out parts rather quickly and parts becoming more and more difficult to find, not so sure about this.
C4 - AWD, wide body.. but not a Turbo..
TT - now, this is at the top of my list. This is a beast with 400hp/400tq. But I never had an AWD car and not sure if this will be as fun to drive (I know it'll handle better, but fun factor wise.. not sure) also being in CA, we don't really have harsh weather that requires AWD (not that I will be using 993 for those conditions).
1. Are turbos reliable? It looks like 993 is generally very reliable, but it's more stress on the engine and more parts to worry about later on?
2. Turbo gas mileage is 13/17. Coming from all NA cars, I thought FI engines are more "efficient" with gas? That sounds pretty low. Are turbo owners getting better mileage than claimed?

I think that's a lot for now as is. haha
I am genuinely excited and I am sure I will have more questions.
Thanks!!
Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

What are you driving now?
Old 10-13-2009, 03:27 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a nice C2/C2S and have money left over for upgrades and maintenance or buy a low end TT and be prepared to spend more down the road.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:36 PM
skim
Instructor

Originally Posted by gonzilla
What are you driving now?
Current ride is e90 m3 which will still be used as a DD
Old 10-13-2009, 03:37 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

This is a no-brainer.

For $60K you should plan on a Turbo. If you don't like the AWD, you can convert it to 2WD. And back again if you decide you like AWD better.

If you're worried about gas mileage, you're not in the mind space you need to be in to own a Porsche Turbo. Buy two Prius instead and let me know if you prefer the mileage to 400 horses
Old 10-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Give us more information so we can give you better advice.

What do you want from the car? Will it be a daily driver or a weekend car? Do you plan to track it? Do you want a pristine concourse car you can look at and pamper over the weekend or do you want to drive the car near the limits and not care if you get a few rock chips or how many miles you put on it? How much do you care about depreciation? How many miles do you think you'll put on per year? Do you live near highways or twisty back roads?
Old 10-13-2009, 03:38 PM
skim
Instructor

Originally Posted by matt777
Get a nice C2/C2S and have money left over for upgrades and maintenance or buy a low end TT and be prepared to spend more down the road.
This is what I have a question on.
So you are implying that TTs are less reliable? Is it due to turbochargers or those putting more stress on the engine? When you say "prepare to spend more down the road", what areas are you talking about?
Thanks.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:43 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by skim
So you are implying that TTs are less reliable? Is it due to turbochargers or those putting more stress on the engine? When you say "prepare to spend more down the road", what areas are you talking about?
Thanks.
Turbo! Put the same post on the 993turbo forum.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:46 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

These days, $60K gets you more than a low-end Turbo. Turbo's require more coin to upkeep because they have....turbos.

With any Porsche, regardless of model, one should expect to spend some money upon purchase to sort it out. Remember, at the end of the day, you're buying a 11-14 year old used car. Allocate a few thousand for initial maintenance/repairs/upgrades, and you'll be in good shape. And, of course, a PPI before you purchase.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Nollie
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks.
If you spend your money up front on the turbo (which is what I would do) then you're still going to want to do upgrades (aka the slippery slope) eventually. If you buy a C2S and have money left over then you can do some of the upgrades as soon as you make your purchase. There are a lot of goodies out there to help spend your money.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Turbo. $60K will buy you a very nice turbo. They do not cost any more to maintain than an N/A car. Maybe less if you consider Turbos don't suffer from the SAI problems. Performance + reliability + value - I challenge you to name a better car.

Greg H.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:10 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg H.
Turbo. $60K will buy you a very nice turbo. They do not cost any more to maintain than an N/A car. Maybe less if you consider Turbos don't suffer from the SAI problems. Performance + reliability + value - I challenge you to name a better car.

Greg H.
Wow. I didn't know that Turbos don't suffer from SAI. Are they also immune from weak valve guides, or are they due for a top-end rebuild at some point just like the N/A cars?
Old 10-13-2009, 04:16 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks.
Reliability is relative What are you looking for? The turbo cars are more complex and the parts are more expensive (at least some of them). It takes $$$ to keep up on the maintenance. Price out a clutch job, an oil change, brakes, new wires, cap,rotors and plugs, or even a top end overhaul and see if you can live with it.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:17 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg H.

Greg H.
Turbos also suffer from SAI issues, just at a lower frequency than the n/a 993's
Old 10-13-2009, 04:29 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Current ride is e90 m3 which will still be used as a DD
The quick answer is Turbo. I'd imagine that the NA will feel pretty slow to you. You should go out and try to drive a few and see what you like. Many people feel that the difference in feel between the awd and the 2wd is negligible, but you should see for yourself.

Quick Reply: First Porsche - allocating 60k for it, what should I get?