Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you replace your 993 with?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 12:03 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Steve, the Lexus is a magnificent automobile. I have a 98 LS400 and frequently rent new cars on business trips, and I am relieved to get back into my 12 year old LS. It glides forward and has *****. It goes without saying however, that the difference between the LS and a 993, is the difference between a 747 and an F22 Raptor.

I use mine as my commuter car and it has been a wonderful car (65 mi. a day, in horrid LA traffic). I bought it with 20k on the clock and added another 100k and have only had to replace the starter and power steering pump (the windshield too, but that was my fault). It will definitely last you until you can get back into a 993, and since you live on the east coast, the 460's also have 4wd.

Best of luck, I do hope things change and you are ultimately able to keep your 993...but if not, the Lexus is a fine car.

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Thanks guys and believe me, I'd much rather have a 07 750i or 07 550i BMW ... or 05-06 MB E55 or 05-06 MB S55 instead of the Lexus, but I have to get a totally reliable Japanese car next that isn't a money pit to fix when the warranty runs out. Trust me, I'm putting this off as long as possible!!! And, I've done my homework. I've spent hours and hours on the BMW and MB web forums and in the end, it felt like being on a Ferrari forum. Lots of expensive repairs potentially await the owner of an 07 car when the warranty runs out on these. My budget will be $34k or so for just one car.

About the orange looking wood? It's not really orange in real life. It's brown, and of a very high quality, the same wood they use in Yamaha pianos if I'm not mistaken. Yes, it's not a 993. I certainly realize that but a 7 year stretch of owning a 993 is still pretty great.

Not a 993 but it's not like I'll be driving a Yugo either. It could be a lot worse than this... And for the naysayers that say they're totally disconnected from the road, I've driven them twice now and they're not that way at all, though, I wouldn't mind getting disconnected from most of the roads in this area as they're full of potholes and terribly uneven road surfaces from the rough winter.

Laugh all you want, but one day I plan on getting back to a 993! Maybe a TT or a Targa Tip

For now, I'm still smiling, driving my car. Who knows, maybe with this new job I'm starting on Monday with my current company, I'll make enough in the year to actually keep both cars. The Lexus is my backup plan if one of the cars has a catastrophic repair in the next year or so...

On to the next post...
Old 05-12-2010, 12:20 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RDS928S
How bout this?. Now if I could only find that spare $695,000 I hid several years back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STUNN...item27b173f0c2
So you'd throw that much money in Mr. Canepa's direction? Even after that non-disclosure 993 turbo purchase/buyback we were all privy to last year????

In any case, and about that car, is it Larry Grove's? If so, nice to have been on the track with that car (and it's twin that John Byrne owns/owned). Hard to believe they bought those cars out of Asia somewhere as hacked up, "updated" 935s/similar twenty years ago and brought them back to original glory. And that about $20K changed hands to buy each of the cars..................
Old 05-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYT993
Steve, the Lexus is a magnificent automobile. I have a 98 LS400 and frequently rent new cars on business trips, and I am relieved to get back into my 12 year old LS. It glides forward and has *****. It goes without saying however, that the difference between the LS and a 993, is the difference between a 747 and an F22 Raptor.

I use mine as my commuter car and it has been a wonderful car (65 mi. a day, in horrid LA traffic). I bought it with 20k on the clock and added another 100k and have only had to replace the starter and power steering pump (the windshield too, but that was my fault). It will definitely last you until you can get back into a 993, and since you live on the east coast, the 460's also have 4wd.

Best of luck, I do hope things change and you are ultimately able to keep your 993...but if not, the Lexus is a fine car.
Thanks, Dan. The 07's (my price range) didn't have AWD (not till 2009 - way out of my price range) so I'll have to be very careful in the winter not to drive it when conditions are icy. It'll just stay parked till they salt the roads. And yes, hopefully it won't come to me selling my 993 but them's the breaks if it does. I realize it obviously won't replace a 993.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:36 AM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Also not keeping within the replacement pricepoint - I dream of a Green Jag E-Type. Always have. Coupe for sure.

Steve, my winter car is a 1991 LS 400. I spend less than $500 a year to keep her going. Good value indeed.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:47 PM
speedbagger
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Is Toyota really still in that category?
ha....was just about to reply with the same!

sludge issues, corrosion issues, acceleration issues......the list goes on. the quality gap to the domestics (or even the germans) is nothing like what it used to be.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:06 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by grappamon
550 maranello or 360 coupe 6spd. I owned a 328 for 10yrs and it was absolutetly reliable. Nothing ever went wrong with that car and I really miss that sound.

I really like the 993 but I just don't get the same excitement from driving it. A friend once told me that driving a Ferrari is an "Event" and everything else is just cars. He has owned just about every make and I have driven just about every make and he is absolutely right. That's my opinion anyway.
+1. My 328 was as, if not more, reliable than many of my 911's I've owned. However my 993S is a keeper for life. I'll keep it until I'm old and feeble and can't drive anymore.........then I'll just go out to the garage and look at it.

The answer is having the best of both worlds, a 993 and an f-car.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:01 PM
rc1320
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

997 GT3RS
Old 05-13-2010, 10:04 AM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Thanks, Dan. The 07's (my price range) didn't have AWD (not till 2009 - way out of my price range) so I'll have to be very careful in the winter not to drive it when conditions are icy. It'll just stay parked till they salt the roads. And yes, hopefully it won't come to me selling my 993 but them's the breaks if it does. I realize it obviously won't replace a 993.
Steve - I had an 08 LS460 it was a very nice car but, too boring for my tastes. I ended up trading that for a GS460 (v8 w/8speed like the LS), it was quick, comfortable and reliable. Before that I had an IS350, all 3 cars were very easy to maintain, no phantom check engine lights, no stupid little things you had to take it to the dealer for, just ran solid day in and day out. so, disregard what you hear take it from people who have owned the cars - they are bullet proof, and if I like the way the IS-F looked I would have one of those now instead of my S4.

I never had the LS in the snow but, the IS and GS were pretty terrible, high performance tires + 300+ HP RWD = problem. I got around fine ok but, it certainly wasnt easy..
Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by cohare
Steve - I had an 08 LS460 it was a very nice car but, too boring for my tastes. I ended up trading that for a GS460 (v8 w/8speed like the LS), it was quick, comfortable and reliable. Before that I had an IS350, all 3 cars were very easy to maintain, no phantom check engine lights, no stupid little things you had to take it to the dealer for, just ran solid day in and day out. so, disregard what you hear take it from people who have owned the cars - they are bullet proof, and if I like the way the IS-F looked I would have one of those now instead of my S4.

I never had the LS in the snow but, the IS and GS were pretty terrible, high performance tires + 300+ HP RWD = problem. I got around fine ok but, it certainly wasnt easy..
Thanks for that. I thought the GS was really small inside compared to the LS, but ... everything would seem small compared to the LS! My test is if people would be comfortable in the back seat for the 5 hours to NYC then that's the car for me. I'll check it out again. The AWD version would be better for this area...
Old 05-13-2010, 11:11 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Jaguar E-type, V12 engine, bright red paintwork, chrome where now you see only plastic.
Aaaaaaah, I can dream.

Gerry
Old 05-13-2010, 12:29 PM
SPD YLO
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z8

Probably need a couple bucks.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:09 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SPD YLO

Ran with one of those in the mountains of Italy a couple years ago. He couldn't, or didn't, keep up with my buddies 964. We were running pretty hard. Cool car, though - no idea what they sell for.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:08 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Shadow,

Are you getting cold feet about "the whole 993 thing," or just doing your due diligence? In this market, I've seen a lot of very nice 993 deals happening...

My understanding is that this question is "what at the same price would you have if the 993 never existed?" So you can't say "another 993."

Originally Posted by MrBonus
An E30 M3 or NSX. I would also consider an Elise.
Yeah, those could work for me. Perhaps add a 356, G50 3.2, E46 M3 or C6 Corvette to that list in my case. Haven't given prioritizing this group much thought, though.

Originally Posted by Paul K
It's all about the looks. But that's all. Hence I drive a 993!
Re: Ferrari, if you're talking about looks as in attention, that can have a powerful appeal for some folks, but there really aren't too many outside of old 250s that have "to die for" looks relative to 993. I truely love the 993's exotic looks. It's the main reason why I bought it.

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Or ditch the Rolex Daytona; that thing should bring in some cash...
Exactly. I would have to have a fun car before I had a fun watch. I expect that the question is limited to sports cars that you'd actually want to buy. A near luxury sedan bought out of neccessity is something else altogether. Personally, if I had 2 to 3 years to sort out my life, I'd definitely use the time to find a way to hold on to the beloved Porsche that I already had.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:14 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Last I looked they trade about $100K +/- so far from an even up 993 trade - except maybe vs. a less than perfect Turbo S (which would be madness IMHO). Lots of Z8 garage queens available at unrealistic prices.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:05 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

No I have a 993, and I plan to keep it for a bit longer. I change cars every few years...In thinking about a replacement, I can't think of anything except a 997. My son wants me to keep the 993, so he can have it in 6 years when he drives.

I drive a XJR, so I don't need another daily driver. I've had Jaguar xk's and they look great but are not that fun to drive. I've thought about Ferrari's, but they seem to require to much $$$$ to keep going.

Quick Reply: What would you replace your 993 with?