Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Readiness codes fix....

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Jay96cab
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

993BillW,Thanks for the feedback. I am going to my local indy and have them check it with their PST2 and see where I stand with the individual parameters. When I smoged in 2009 I had to drive around 1500 miles to get everything reset. I had a 60K done about 1,000 miles ago and the SIA ports were unpluged at that time as well due to CEL issues. No CEL issues since and the car runs fantastic just very stuborn about resetting.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"As I understand it the new version of the Durametric tester software also has the ability but I'm not sure of that."

Actually it doesn't and my $150 upgrade was a waste. So it's no where as
capable as the old Porsche tester (PST2) other than for the basics, e.g. read
and reset faults codes. The engine diagnostics are what $60 OBDII scanners
will provide. Although it does provide some drive links, it's limited and some
don't work, i.e. the SAI pump.

"I am going to my local indy and have them check it with their PST2 and see where I stand with the individual parameters."

This can be done without the PST2. A cheap $45 scanner will do that. The benefit
of the PST2 is the ability to monitor extensively the complete driving process (trip),
as one is driving, and determine problematic tests if any.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
This can be done without the PST2. A cheap $45 scanner will do that. The benefit
of the PST2 is the ability to monitor extensively the complete driving process (trip),
as one is driving, and determine problematic tests if any.
How will they do that?
From my scanner I had 3 set very quickly and the other 5 stayed flashing til the very end, when all 8 indicated set and the scanner said "Done". It has never been where #4 set, then #5 ect., it has always been 3 set then 8 set. (Both my 993's and done several times).

On my scanner this is what I got: (copied from another thread)

About 4 mos ago I disconnected the battery on my ’97 993 for some routine maint. and other work. After reconnecting the battery I decided I wanted to try an un-scientific test of the OBDII Readiness Flags. I decided I would drive the 993 as I normally would for a few months until just before it was time for me to renew the registration which in TN requires an annual emissions test (no sniffer, just pass the OBDII tests). Since in the past I’ve never had any problems using the so called “BMW OBD ii Drive Cycles Procedure” to get my readiness indicators to set I wasn’t too worried about having any issues.

The Code Reader I use is the INNOVA 3100 and I’ve had it for several years, I think I paid less than $100 for it. The only time I’ve had a problem with it was caused by operator error (me) when I failed to disable the Immobilizer and the reader couldn’t communicate with the car. I learned that lesson the hard way.

I don’t know how many miles I put on before I hooked up the tester to check (remember I said un-scientific) but it had to have been in excess of 1500 mi. I drove the 993 as I normally would which includes regular excursions above 5k+ RPM. I did not try to baby the car for the sake of this test.

When I hooked up the OBDII Reader today I was not surprised that only following (3) Monitors (Readiness Indicators) were set:

M - Misfire
F - Fuel System
CC - Comprehensive Component

The following (5) Monitors were in a Non-set (flashing) condition:

C - Catalyst
EV - Evaporative System
2A - Sec. Air System (SAI)
O - Oxygen Sensor
OH – Oxygen Sensor Heater

There are a total of (11) Monitors but as the OBDII Reader’s Manual says “not all vehicles support all 11 monitors”. I deduce the Porsche supports only 8.

After performing the “BMW OBDII Drive Cycle Procedure” the first time on Sat. morning and returning home the status of the monitors had not changed, 3 were still set and 5 were flashing (not set). It should be noted that I left the OBDII Reader connected to the OBDII port the entire time while I was driving, once a minute or so the Reader would “refresh” (ping the 993”s OBDII system) itself. At no time did any of the Readiness Indicators change their status during or after the first run.

After letting the 993 sit (cool) for about 4 hrs. I decided to try the second run (in the past I let the car sit overnight, not this time). I went on a slightly different route but it still allowed me to run the “BMW OBDII Drive Cycle Procedure” in order. All through the drive the Reader was still connected to the car and there was no change to the 3 set/5 flashing status until I got home. I backed into the driveway and pulled the handbrake to complete the final step which is “Idle for apx. 5 min.” (in-gear for auto transmission cars only). After less than 1 ½ min. of idling the 5 remaining Readiness Indicators set (all on solid, none flashing)! Success! In the words of Jackie Gleason “How sweet it is!”

To be clear I was rarely able to complete any individual step of the “BMW OBDII Drive Cycle Procedure” without a break for a stop sign or to go around a corner, I would just return to the speed and RPM I was moving in as soon as possible. I did however extend the drive on that step of the procedure for as long as that section of road allowed (without getting ridiculous). However it is critical that you not exceed 3K RPM or 60 MPH for the duration of the test. I did however, on 2 occasions exceed the 3K/60 MPH limit but not by much and it was for a very brief period of time so I don’t think that is a “hard and fast” rule, just try your best to avoid it.

I have photos of the Reader connected and the display that I will upload tonight.

Someone (I don’t remember who) wrote out the “BMW OBDII Drive Cycle Procedure” so we didn’t have to use the PDF file, hopefully they won’t mind if I copy it and put it in this thread. Save me some more typing.
==========

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:42 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"From my scanner I had 3 set very quickly and the other 5 stayed flashing til the very end, when all 8 indicated set and the scanner said "Done". It has never been where #4 set, then #5 ect., it has always been 3 set then 8 set. (Both my 993's and done several times)."

That's exactly what occurs, i.e. one must complete both trips (some require
three) before ALL of the balance of the codes are indicated. Additionally,
without a Porsche tester, one never knows when trip two (or three) can begin.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:37 AM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Where can one get a porsche tester and how much is it?
Old 05-19-2010, 03:47 AM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

993BillW - Your experience has been the same as mine to the letter, After I read your thread I went out again on a route closer to home. My problem may be that I was trying to attempt the second trip to quickly (approximately 30 minutes) which is probably not enough time for adequate cooling between trips. I will go back out tomorrow.

Lorenfb - I understand, it was never my intent to influence anyone into making any such purchase. It's better to focus and concentrate on the issue at hand and develop a way forward for the benefit of everyone that is experiencing these issues with their cars. Your one of the resident technical experts in this area and highly recommended by Guy.

Cheers!

Don
Old 05-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"From my scanner I had 3 set very quickly and the other 5 stayed flashing til the very end, when all 8 indicated set and the scanner said "Done". It has never been where #4 set, then #5 ect., it has always been 3 set then 8 set. (Both my 993's and done several times)."

That's exactly what occurs, i.e. one must complete both trips (some require
three) before ALL of the balance of the codes are indicated. Additionally,
without a Porsche tester, one never knows when trip two (or three) can begin.
OK Loren, I misunderstood what you were trying to say.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:15 AM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

Mac993 - It's pretty much a dealer item. PST2's are NLA and have been superceeded by a new model. Cost $$$$$$$ very expensive! Read Loren's post #47.

Cheers!

Don
Old 05-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by diet97993
Mac993 - It's pretty much a dealer item. PST2's are NLA and have been superceeded by a new model. Cost $$$$$$$ very expensive! Read Loren's post #47.

Cheers!

Don
I am not sure I believe the number I heard, nearly the cost of a 993 C4S.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"it was never my intent to influence anyone into making any such purchase."

Actually my concern was over your being influenced in purchasing another
DME ECM or having your unit re-flashed when that most likely would be
a waste of money and be more problematic if the latter occurred.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Jay96cab
3rd Gear

Bill, from your description of doing the drive cycles it appears that you began at your home and ended at your home. Am I reading that correctly or did you complete the cycles on your course and then return to your home?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:41 AM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

OK, completed (3) of the BMW drive cycles again! let engine cool for a minimum of 5 hours between each cycle and no dice. I'm drive cycled out for now......No CEL either and car runs like a champ! go figure. Back to the drawing board and see if there is anything else we can come up with. I've got the Porsche OBD II trouble shooting manual in front of me. Cycle flag (1) is the catalytic converter suppost to take 300 sec (5 minutes) and run the engine through 4 speed and load ranges sez if you run in or out of the ranges the test will pick back up when your back in the ranges.....interesting?? engine speed is between 1120 - 2800 RPM. That should get the cats good and hot and no CEL. I guess my question to Loren is what is the actual order that these things set? Does it follow cycle flag 1 through 6 or in a different order? say 3, 4, 1, 2 etc. also a trip is considered 1150 seconds which is just about 19 minutes + . Since you mentioned that these flags respond (set) in series but if (1) fails they all fail. The only way to figure this out is with the (PST2) since it can read real time with values. However, again if your not throwing a CEL pretty much tells me that this an internal DME software issue and what is really the fix? and how do we fix it?

Cheers!

Don
Old 05-20-2010, 01:56 AM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

Lorenfb - Looks like I'm off to San Luis Obispo to talk to Guy.

Don
Old 05-20-2010, 02:03 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"Does it follow cycle flag 1 through 6 or in a different order? say 3, 4, 1, 2 etc."

When I setup (via Porsche tester) a 993 for readiness codes/monitors, I:

1. manually run the SAI test,
2. manually run the Tank Venting test,
3. begin driving,
4. next the O2 sensors get set ~ 15 minutes,
5. next the CAT efficiency gets set another 10 minutes,
6. finally the Adaptation (TRA & FRA) then set, ~ 5 - 10 minutes

Once the above all (6) complete, trip #1 has completed.
Then shut-off and restart the engine and begin trip #2 (repeat steps 1-6).

Again, one of the above steps may be problematic and not set a CEL.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:39 AM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Loren- As I am (and my shop are) clearly having issues with making this happen is it possible for me to bring my car to you to try and fix? If not could you PM me with the exact steps needed for me to try once again(in laymans terms). My smog date is running up and I am getting pretty worried. TIA!

Quick Reply: Readiness codes fix....