Sponsored by:

Readiness codes fix....

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 12:25 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Marco8
I have tried this 3 times and still not in readiness....

Originally Posted by flying_low

Just drive this twice

Start engine, let idle for approx. 2 min, 10 secs.

Accelerate to 20-30 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 3 min, 15 secs.

Accelerate to 40-60 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 15 mins.

Decelerate and come to a stop. Then:

Idle in Neutral for 5 mins. (manual trans.)

Idle in Drive for 5 mins. (Tiptronic trans.)

During the drive cycle, do not exceed 3,000 rpm or 60 mph.
Disconnected my battery recently to change ground strap, now car overdue, failed inspection (no cel/trouble codes) just can't get to readiness mode.

Suggestions.......... Thanks in advance
First of all, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. Definitely NOT fun. If you venture out again, try replacing every instance of "approx" to "at least" in Flying Low's instructions. Also, try to not let it rev over 2700, just to be safe. Did you start the drive cycles from a cold start? Also, did you switch the ignition off after the drive cycles? Disconnecting your battery will clear whatever flags you might have set, but I'm sure you already know that.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:47 AM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may have not completed the second drive cycle. Unfortunately you won't know until until it's set.

Don
Old 11-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Marco8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woke up this morning at 4AM, tried to go back to sleep, after about 5 minutes thought-let’s try the readiness setting again. Had roads to myself. 2.25 minute warm up (heard SAI running), 3.5 minutes 3rd gear 1800 to 2000 rpm (long stretch of road), 20 min freeway 6th gear (see 6th gear has a purpose ), 55 mph approx 1900 rpm. Checked scanner and low and behold CLEARED…..Yes! Found 3000+ rpm again and headed home.

All in all, 140 miles trying to get readiness codes reset. Thanks everyone for their help!

Marco

Last edited by Marco8; 11-09-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:09 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Marco8
Woke up this morning at 4AM, tried to go back to sleep, after about 5 minutes thought-let’s try the readiness setting again. Had roads to myself. 2.25 minute warm up (heard SAI running), 3.5 minutes 3rd gear 1800 to 2000 rpm (long stretch of road), 20 min freeway 6th gear (see 6th gear has a purpose ), 55 mph approx 1900 rpm. Checked scanner and low and behold CLEARED…..Yes! Found 3000+ rpm again and headed home.

All in all, 140 miles trying to get readiness codes reset. Thank everyone for their help!

Marco
Awesome!!! Congrats!!! You are free to like your car again.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mbriggs993
Very valuable information in this thread. 993BillW said that to use the the Code Reader you need to disable the Immobilizer. How do I disable the Immobilizer and is that required to use the code reader to test the codes while driving?

Marc
If the car is stopped (not running) you will need to disarm the immobilizer in order to get ANY OBDII code reader (or even a Porsche tester) to communicate with the car's system.

If the car is running then the immobilizer is already disarmed and the reader should be communicating. I leave the reader connected while I'm doing the drive, about every minute the reader will "interrogate" the OBDII system to check for updates.

BTW, my reader does NOT require the batteries to be installed for the reader to work when it's connected to the OBDII port, it gets it's power from the car. The only reason for using batteries is to review codes when reader is unplugged from the car.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:57 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

on another good OBDII note, I went to the salt lake county ref station last week. instead of putting the car on rollers for a sniff test the guy shrugged his shoulders and handed me a waiver.
no test, no look over, nothing.
must of been my lucky day, I'd a played the lotto but didn't feel like driving to wyoming.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by diet97993
You may have not completed the second drive cycle. Unfortunately you won't know until until it's set.

Don
+1 As I understand it, some codes require the cycle to be done TWICE. I am not sure which ones however.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kika
+1 As I understand it, some codes require the cycle to be done TWICE. I am not sure which ones however.
See post # 48.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:15 PM
burns334
2nd Gear

I got 2 1996 Twin turbo's ready this week, cold start and warmup and then drove the recommended cycle ie 20-40 mph under 2000 rpm, 50-60 under 3000 rpm. One did a trip complete 6 minutes into the 50-60 mph run and one completed after the 5 minute idle. Just takes perserverence.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:15 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Is the 997tt readiness code situation similar?
I recently had a bad battery, now three readiness parameters wont reset,(o2, sec air, cat).
TIA
c
Old 04-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Don't lift
Rennlist Member

My '97 throws the SAI CEL regularly, so I carry my OBDII scanner in the car and reset (turn off) the CEL, no issues at all until it is time for Smog Check every other year.

NOTE: I DO NOT reset (turn off) the CEL until the day BEFORE I do the drive cycle.

For the past 8+ years I have successfully done the drive cycle and passed California smog every time.
I'd like to share my experience and hope it is helpful to others.

First of all, in California, you are allowed 2 flags ( not ready ) for cars prior to year 2000.
You DO NOT need to reset ALL flags !

IMPORTANT NOTE:
For registration renewal in California, make sure you've READ what kind of smog station on your renewal notice from DMV, if it saids SMOG ONLY station.....you MUST go to that !
Pick out the smog station IN ADVANCE......

It does require 2 drive cycles, but I do it all in ONE TRIP....3am (no traffic).....approx. 1 hour time total.
1st. drive cycle from home (point A ) to end of step 5 ( point B ), then 2nd cycle from step 6 (point B )
back home ( point A ). Note: OBDII scanner plugged during the whole process so you know when you the flags are set.

I do the same drive cycle ( with some differences, not sure which one is correct, it works for me )

DO NOT exceed 3000rpm or 60mph during the drive cycle.

1) Cold start, idle for 2 min. 10 sec. ( with the A/C and rear defrost ON )...to add load?

2) Turn off A/C and rear defrost, do the 20-30mph for 3 min, 15 sec.

3) Drive 40-60mph for 15 min.

4) Come to a stop, leave it in gear for 5 mins. ( Manual Trans. )

5) Shut down engine for approx. 5 mins.

6) Repeat step 2 and 3......( Back sweet home, point A )

At the end of step 6, my scanner will say all flags are ready EXCEPT 2 ( OK for Cali ! )

Go directly to the nearest Smog station in the morning, when cold starting the engine, DO NOT let it idle cold, drive off right away or keep RPM above 2500 for the 1st. minute or so....... ( I believe this prevents the SAI pump from coming on )

Hope this can be helpful.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Don't lift
My '97 throws the SAI CEL regularly, so I carry my OBDII scanner in the car and reset (turn off) the CEL, no issues at all until it is time for Smog Check every other year.

NOTE: I DO NOT reset (turn off) the CEL until the day BEFORE I do the drive cycle.

For the past 8+ years I have successfully done the drive cycle and passed California smog every time.
I'd like to share my experience and hope it is helpful to others.

First of all, in California, you are allowed 2 flags ( not ready ) for cars prior to year 2000.
You DO NOT need to reset ALL flags !

IMPORTANT NOTE:
For registration renewal in California, make sure you've READ what kind of smog station on your renewal notice from DMV, if it saids SMOG ONLY station.....you MUST go to that !
Pick out the smog station IN ADVANCE......

It does require 2 drive cycles, but I do it all in ONE TRIP....3am (no traffic).....approx. 1 hour time total.
1st. drive cycle from home (point A ) to end of step 5 ( point B ), then 2nd cycle from step 6 (point B )
back home ( point A ). Note: OBDII scanner plugged during the whole process so you know when you the flags are set.

I do the same drive cycle ( with some differences, not sure which one is correct, it works for me )

DO NOT exceed 3000rpm or 60mph during the drive cycle.

1) Cold start, idle for 2 min. 10 sec. ( with the A/C and rear defrost ON )...to add load?

2) Turn off A/C and rear defrost, do the 20-30mph for 3 min, 15 sec.

3) Drive 40-60mph for 15 min.

4) Come to a stop, leave it in gear for 5 mins. ( Manual Trans. )

5) Shut down engine for approx. 5 mins.

6) Repeat step 2 and 3......( Back sweet home, point A )

At the end of step 6, my scanner will say all flags are ready EXCEPT 2 ( OK for Cali ! )

Go directly to the nearest Smog station in the morning, when cold starting the engine, DO NOT let it idle cold, drive off right away or keep RPM above 2500 for the 1st. minute or so....... ( I believe this prevents the SAI pump from coming on )

Hope this can be helpful.

4) the "in gear" requirement is for auto trans cars only, the only thing in-gear will do for a manual is put additional wear on the release bearing

I have a hard time understanding how you get to a fully "ready" status with 2 monitors not set? What 2 don't set? There are only 8 sensors monitored by the Porsche (and BMW's of the same vintage) OBDII system and on my scanner they set in a 3/5 increment, meaning 3 set very quickly and the remaining 5 set all at once at the end of a (successful) drive. (See post # 48, with pics now)

Not saying I can't be wrong but I've done a good bit of experimenting (on only 2 different 993's though) and each time it's worked the same.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 04-16-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"remaining 5 set all at once at the end of a (successful) drive"

That's exactly correct, i.e. all 5 at once!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:25 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

I disconnected the battery to realign my steering wheel several weeks ago which lead to failing emissions last week because the codes were not ready. It took 3 tries and many thanks to this forum, I am good to get it tested today during lunch..
Old 08-28-2012, 12:48 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 234 Posts

Guys help!

Flat battery and I charged it, installed in the car and I'm now running into the stalling at every single attempt to stop.

My issue with running the routine described in this thread is that I've got 3 speed bumps and one traffic light to negotiate before I can even think of attempting these cycles.

HELP! What should I do?

Quick Reply: Readiness codes fix....