Sponsored by:

Rear-ended, hit and run

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 04:39 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
Total bummer -- but really, you don't need a quarter panel. That would be a massive over-reaction probably driven by the body shop guy having dollar signs in his eyes.

The end of the panel got bent down a little bit. A metal guy will be able to straighten it out in 45 minutes with no bondo. Once you take the bumper off and remove the tail light, there is total access on the underside. Don't let a body shop talk you into replacing the panel -- that involves extensive cutting, welding, etc. Welds are a rust magnet. Your car looks ugly right now, but really, this is a very minor fender-bender.
agreed!

A good shop can repair without the quarter panel being replaced. Less invasive = better if possible and this is very doable as Noah stated.

The spoiler replacement depends on where the damage is. If the mount points are messed up then it might need to be replaced.

I think you know this but I'll state the obvious: Take your time with the body shop and make it clear the kind of repair you expect. I would ask to stop by and check progress before paint...
Old 04-25-2010, 04:46 PM
SPD YLO
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all this evidence, a case in small claims should be a slam dunk.

Still a bummer.
What an *******!
Old 04-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you know this but I'll state the obvious: Take your time with the body shop and make it clear the kind of repair you expect. I would ask to stop by and check progress before paint...
+1

It's very noticeable when the gaps are not equal on both sides. Make sure the tailgate lines up perfectly both ends. Expect nothing but the best results.

Last edited by Bouzoukikid; 04-25-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:55 PM
tommyg
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Quadcammer -

Sorry for your troubles, sounds very frustrating. In regards to body shops, give Dave Jenkins @ DJ's Auto Body in Morristown a call, he does alot of Porsches. He just repaired/re-sprayed my rear bumper and sprayed my new front euro turbo bumper. His work is good. His # is: 973-538-7207
Old 04-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Bouzoukikid
Don't change the quarter panel if you can avoid it. Maybe better to repair it as to leave the original spot welding intact.

On looking at the damage to his vehicle, there maybe a small chance he did not notice that he a had damaged your car. Surely he would have at least wiped away your red rear lens from his vehicle to hide the evidence if he was that dishonest, and then parked somewhere else.
certainly very possible.

But to not acknowledge it once the vehicles were lined up and the damage examined is WEAK.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by tommyg
Quadcammer -

Sorry for your troubles, sounds very frustrating. In regards to body shops, give Dave Jenkins @ DJ's Auto Body in Morristown a call, he does alot of Porsches. He just repaired/re-sprayed my rear bumper and sprayed my new front euro turbo bumper. His work is good. His # is: 973-538-7207
Tommy,
I've heard that as well. I'd like Paterek but since they are so busy and I've heard won't work on anything but 356s, DJs is definitely a good choice.

I hate dealing with body shops, but I don't have a choice.

This WILL be repaired correctly.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:58 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

If you are willing to go to Central NJ, Bodymotion has a great reputation with body repairs (located in Ocean, NJ). Also, recently had work done at Lee's Garage in West Long Branch. Excellent quality and local dealer Schneider Nelson Porsche sends him lots of work.

Mark
Old 04-25-2010, 06:34 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That just sucks.

If you were closer you would be more than welcome to my old POS dented DD for a couple of ramming sessions on his junker.

Oh well, it can be fixed and will come out better than ever. Keep your chin up knowing that an entire rennlist army is heaving bad juju his way.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:49 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as decklid alignment goes, check the hinges. They're probably bent, and the latch on the underside of the lid is also probably bent.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:46 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 426 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about this...

I know some guys who live right across the Passaic River in Nutley who could "take care of things" for you.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:20 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
I know some guys who live right across the Passaic River in Nutley who could "take care of things" for you.
As they say, vigilante justice is still justice.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
As they say, vigilante justice is still justice.
Nah.... Karma will take care of it. Revenge is over rated; though pleasurable at times....
Old 04-25-2010, 11:08 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about this. Can't believe the guy would deny hitting you. How embarrassing for the a$$hole, with all the evidence on your side. It would so much easier on both of you if he'd just act like a man and not a weasel.

Sorry this happened. A good body shop will take care of you.

chuck
Old 04-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by csertich
I'm sorry to hear about this. Can't believe the guy would deny hitting you. How embarrassing for the a$$hole, with all the evidence on your side. It would so much easier on both of you if he'd just act like a man and not a weasel.

Sorry this happened. A good body shop will take care of you.

chuck
precisely. He's just making life hard by denying this. I wouldn't have said a word about hit and run had he just admitted it. Now there is a possibility of criminal charges. so stupid.

as for taking him for a "trip" to the swamp, my italian gf already offered, but I'll be the bigger man.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:29 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
precisely. He's just making life hard by denying this. I wouldn't have said a word about hit and run had he just admitted it. Now there is a possibility of criminal charges. so stupid.

as for taking him for a "trip" to the swamp, my italian gf already offered, but I'll be the bigger man.
He doesn't have to make a trip to a swamp, the Majestic Passaic will suit him just fine. Make sure he takes a swim when the tide goes out, that way he'll make the trip to Newark bay where they'll find him

Quick Reply: Rear-ended, hit and run