Rear-ended, hit and run

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts
Default Rear-ended, hit and run

Ok, so after having my turbo for 5 months, I come out to find this:

Now, there was no note (shocker). While out there, my friend and I were talking, and this third party (who also knows my friend) comes up and goes "damn, looks like you really got hit"

After the third party leaves, I walk our parking garage and look for possible suspects. I find the third party's vehicle, and he had a trailer hitch, some black paint on his bumper, and pieces of my center reflector embedded in his bumper.

I called the police, they pulled the cars up to each other, and found the damage to be a match. THE OTHER GUY DENIED IT AND CLAIMED HE WAS NO WHERE NEAR MY CAR. I couldn't believe it. This guy is a professional at a major investment bank and seemed like a straight up guy. apparently not.

The police report will be entirely on my side, but now its time to fight with insurance.

I'm assuming I'll need a new quarter panel.

The spoiler is pushed up on the drivers side. Will that need to be replaced most likely? If so, thats a $7,800 part.

I can't believe the guy wouldn't man up and had the ***** to talk to me about it when he did it.

Also need a good bodyshop in the northern NJ area that does top quality work in a reasonable time frame (I've heard paterek brothers is the best, but it takes months to get in there).

Thanks guys.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:17 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about the damage. I can't believe the scumbag would openly pretend to know nothing about it. What a douche.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:24 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
After the third party leaves, I walk our parking garage and look for possible suspects. I find the third party's vehicle, and he had a trailer hitch, some black paint on his bumper, and pieces of my center reflector embedded in his bumper.
That really sucks!!!

Was your car in the parking garage?

Was the other car in the garage as well?

What did the garage attendants say?

Video cameras?
Old 04-25-2010, 11:25 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I got rear ended by the Military Police more than half a year ago and they still have not payed. After I told my insurance which tries to recover the deductible that I will sue them it appears that there is movement. I should have gone to lawyer immediately even for a case that clear. Looks like in America nothing moves without a lawyer. This is my recommendation: Get a lawyer quickly. The smart *** that hit who will do the same.

GL with the repair. Good time to upgrade to a Euro bumper ...
Old 04-25-2010, 11:25 AM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In CA, hit and run is a crime... are the cops going to charge this $hitbag with H&R or is that not considered a crime in NJ?
Bummer you have to deal with this.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Oliver..... What shame, I am so sorry you have to go through this BS. I have a long list of "professionals" getting caught with their hands in the cookie jar and they lie like an uneducated street hood. It's a human thing. It sounds like the police did their job. Now lets see if the legal system and insurance companies do theirs. If this is the worst thing that happens all year, it'll be a good year. Hang in there and keep us posted.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:46 AM
wetoddid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That makes me sick to my stomach just looking at it. A day after I bought it, I was once backed into in my wifes Z because they couldnt see me. Sad part was I was in line behind her at at stop sign, and she decides its a good time to back up. I punched the steering wheel to sound the horn, but it had thumb buttons. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest his crotch.

Kevin
Old 04-25-2010, 11:54 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

What a complete and utter jackass. I wish you all the best getting this handled - by the best shop possible.

He will get his. That is a fact.

Andreas
Old 04-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's happened to me to a previous car of mine . Very upsetting. Hope you get it resolved satisfactorily, and he pays FULLY!!!

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest his crotch.
+1
Old 04-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

That blows, Oliver. Sorry that happened. But at least you found the guy who did it - what a liar.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Sucks but at least you caught the perp.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:11 PM
FD Motorsports
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 89 Likes on 26 Posts

oh no... sorry Oliver. That totally bites.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:12 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What a dumb a$$. I hate it when drivers won't take the time to maneuver their cars properly in a parking lot. I think they feel that bumpers are literally for bumping into stuff and then stopping. I hope this has a good ending for you.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

What an a-hole the other guy is. Good luck with the repairs.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:38 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before I read your description, I said to myself "Looks like a pickup truck. Might not have even known it." So there is that 10% chance of honest mistake. Among the remaining 90% chance that he felt/heard something," with the shock, embarrassment and intangibles it's fairly easy to understand why most people slink away from leaving a note.

However, if you know the guy, especially as close as a friend of a friend, this simply reprehensible and inconceivable. I'd advise your friend to upgrade his friend pool.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
This guy is a professional at a major investment bank and seemed like a straight up guy..
Goldman Sachs?

Quick Reply: Rear-ended, hit and run