Sponsored by:

Rear-ended, hit and run

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
precisely. He's just making life hard by denying this. I wouldn't have said a word about hit and run had he just admitted it. Now there is a possibility of criminal charges. so stupid.
So sorry to read of this, but hopefully it will be repaired to your satisfaction and bring you future happiness.

To not man up, once confronted with the undeniable facts, say volumes of this guy.

"Car"ma will catch up with him.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

ok, update:

spoke with my progressive claims adjuster. Set up an estimate appt. for thursday morning. I get the police report wed.

Spoke with the body shop, they are open immediately which should mean a fairly quick turn around. Body shop is highly regarded, which is great.

Hopefully the estimate is reasonable, and then progressive can go after this guy's insurance.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

I lose more faith in mankind every day.
Sad situation. Make the best of it and remember there are just as many people who are truly kind, honorable contributions to society. I hope your body shop does a great job and you can go back to enjoying your car soon. The other guy is slowly digging his own grave with his approach to life.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

ok,
Estimate is for $1913, which is weak. Bodyshop will push for more. They are expecting a supplement. This was from my company.

Now,
got police report. Basically states they lined cars up, damage matches etc. He still denies, but we have his insurance info (geico).

I might think this is a bigger deal than it is, but they issued him a summons for "Failure to report an accident".

Now if he got this summons, that would imply that he was IN an accident.

Does this help my cause?
Old 04-29-2010, 04:57 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

ok,
Estimate is for $1913, which is weak. Bodyshop will push for more. They are expecting a supplement. This was from my company.

Now,
got police report. Basically states they lined cars up, damage matches etc. He still denies, but we have his insurance info (geico).

I might think this is a bigger deal than it is, but they issued him a summons for "Failure to report an accident".

Does this help my cause?
I believe that a summons does support your position. However, I really do not think insurance companies really care. If the insured denies to his insurance company that he did anything wrong, you will have a tough time proving that he backed into you. Afterall, you could have backed into him!! I am not trying to deflate your anger or claim but insurance companies view this stuff as a PITA.

Mark
Old 04-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget to claim loss of value due to his making your pristine car a (soon-to-be) repaired one. The carfax will probably make note of this incident and follow the car around whomever gets it after you.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Ugh. Just read this! Sorry to hear of your crappy situation...5 months after nonetheless! I'm really glad that you caught the "perp" and its pretty clear what happened. All supporting evidence is on your side, so you shouldn't have too hard of a time getting what you deserve.

Here's to getting everything back to new again!
Old 04-29-2010, 05:44 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ok,

Now,

Does this help my cause?

Well, I'm not an attorney, but it sounds to me like the police have basically said he was in an accident and did not report it (by issuing the summons). So you show that summons to the insurance companies and they'll need to take it into account. Sure it would be better having a police report saying he was at fault, but his contention is that he wasn't involved at all, the police say otherwise - he loses! Best of luck with it
Old 04-29-2010, 10:07 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
I believe that a summons does support your position. However, I really do not think insurance companies really care. If the insured denies to his insurance company that he did anything wrong, you will have a tough time proving that he backed into you. Afterall, you could have backed into him!! I am not trying to deflate your anger or claim but insurance companies view this stuff as a PITA.

Mark
Mark, at this point, who knows what will happen. That said, from what an insider told me, progressive (my insurance) is pretty good at getting cash from other companies.

Total crapshoot.

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Don't forget to claim loss of value due to his making your pristine car a (soon-to-be) repaired one. The carfax will probably make note of this incident and follow the car around whomever gets it after you.
Yup, if his insurance pays for it, I'll file a diminished value claim. That said, I don't plan to sell this car for a LONG time. Either way, the carfax situation sucks.

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Ugh. Just read this! Sorry to hear of your crappy situation...5 months after nonetheless! I'm really glad that you caught the "perp" and its pretty clear what happened. All supporting evidence is on your side, so you shouldn't have too hard of a time getting what you deserve.

Here's to getting everything back to new again!
Thanks Arrwin, just like the guy who keyed your car, some people just suck.

I'm sure bodymotion will do a great job in getting it fixed up.
Originally Posted by PNogC2S
Well, I'm not an attorney, but it sounds to me like the police have basically said he was in an accident and did not report it (by issuing the summons). So you show that summons to the insurance companies and they'll need to take it into account. Sure it would be better having a police report saying he was at fault, but his contention is that he wasn't involved at all, the police say otherwise - he loses! Best of luck with it
I agree completely, but with all the legalese and other BS, I'm sure Geico will try to wiggle out of it. At this point, I've resigned that I might have to pay my deductible. Its $1000. Sure it could have gone to better stuff, but sometimes luck just isn't on your side.

we'll see how it plays out soon.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:37 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

That is so GREAT that you found the low life. He should be keelhauled--as a minimum--AFTER he pays up whatever price you quote! Usually these dirt bags skate off scot free. Good for you to have done the police work. I had my 914 hit and run and only wish I could have found that jerk. Remember, you pay your insurance premiums so that they have to subrogate and do the work.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:25 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Quadcammer, Very sorry to hear about this. You showed great restraint & class by not pounding in the guys face at the scene. Hope you're good-as-new very soon. You put your heart & soul into your new car. We all feel for you.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Thanks guys.

Car goes to the body shop on saturday, and hopefully it will be be good as new in a few short weeks.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:36 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Thanks guys.

Car goes to the body shop on saturday, and hopefully it will be be good as new in a few short weeks.
Which shop did you decide to use?

Mark
Old 04-30-2010, 04:24 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$2K or so is a fairly small sum for an insurance company so I wouldn't expect they'll waste a huge amount of time on getting Gieco to pay. IIRC New Jersey is basically no fault so even pursuing this guy directly won't likely bring much satisfaction, at least financially. Fortunately I suspect the police will help in making this guy regret his decision to deny the accident. A summons means a date with a judge and given the facts and police report I doubt the judge will be leniant. This guy deserves to learn the lesson.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I decided to go with body motion. Mike seemed very willing to help and my body shop insider stated that they seemed like a good shop.

Quick Reply: Rear-ended, hit and run