Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats total BS. GL.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:10 PM
jhubs
Racer

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
This guy is a professional at a major investment bank and seemed like a straight up guy. apparently not.

I can't believe the guy wouldn't man up and had the ***** to talk to me about it when he did it.
Here is the problem! "Investment banker"... what did you expect!
Old 04-25-2010, 02:56 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Wow, I am truly sorry to see this. I certainly hope you get treated well and the car repaired like new.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:06 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As was said, what a douche!

FWIW, I would personally meet with this person - bring a friend with you as a witness - and give him a chance to fess up and admit to it.

Let him mull over it -- telling him, as he ponders, that you are going to pursue this 100% and have come to him - so as to give him a chance to man up - to fess up.

If he balks and does the 100% denial routine -- (and basically tells you "Good luck with that!") -- then you NEED to plan out your 'route' towards your own satisfaction - i.e. the whole car brought back to the way it was before the damage was done.

The fact that you/cops found the paint from HIS car on YOUR car is 100% solid evidence. It didn't get there my magic or tele-transportation.

I know you are SICK to your stomach over this - and, trust me, all of us here, on this forum, feel for you and want YOU and your car to 'get better'.

OK, off you go.

Gerry
Old 04-25-2010, 03:15 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 60 Posts

This guy is a professional at a major investment bank
he wears a suit to work, so he must be honorable!!
... just another POS following the "lie and deny" MO that is far too prevalent in today's society.

I hope the repair turns out to your satisfaction.... there is more hope for your car than mankind !

Last edited by max911; 04-25-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: speelling
Old 04-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by canysmc
That really sucks!!!

Was your car in the parking garage?

Was the other car in the garage as well?

What did the garage attendants say?

Video cameras?
Thanks.
Yes, my car was in my apartment complex parking garage. The other car was in the garage as well. Its not valet parking so there was no parking attendant. Film was reviewed and did not cover this area.

Originally Posted by e9stibi
I got rear ended by the Military Police more than half a year ago and they still have not payed. After I told my insurance which tries to recover the deductible that I will sue them it appears that there is movement. I should have gone to lawyer immediately even for a case that clear. Looks like in America nothing moves without a lawyer. This is my recommendation: Get a lawyer quickly. The smart *** that hit who will do the same.

GL with the repair. Good time to upgrade to a Euro bumper ...
Thanks
I know about 40 lawyers very well, so that will not be a problem. Progressive seems to be ready to go to bat for me.
Sadly I already had a euro bumper.

Originally Posted by PNogC2S
In CA, hit and run is a crime... are the cops going to charge this $hitbag with H&R or is that not considered a crime in NJ?
Bummer you have to deal with this.
Hit and run is a crime in NJ as well. Although its basically 100% obvious this guy did it, without a witness, I don't think they can charge him with anything.

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
Oliver..... What shame, I am so sorry you have to go through this BS. I have a long list of "professionals" getting caught with their hands in the cookie jar and they lie like an uneducated street hood. It's a human thing. It sounds like the police did their job. Now lets see if the legal system and insurance companies do theirs. If this is the worst thing that happens all year, it'll be a good year. Hang in there and keep us posted.
Thanks Chuck, I had gotten the car basically perfect as well too. definitely a shame. I think the police are doing their best, and were definitely on my side.

Originally Posted by FD Motorsports
oh no... sorry Oliver. That totally bites.
Thanks Mark/FDM.

Originally Posted by dcdude
Before I read your description, I said to myself "Looks like a pickup truck. Might not have even known it." So there is that 10% chance of honest mistake. Among the remaining 90% chance that he felt/heard something," with the shock, embarrassment and intangibles it's fairly easy to understand why most people slink away from leaving a note.

However, if you know the guy, especially as close as a friend of a friend, this simply reprehensible and inconceivable. I'd advise your friend to upgrade his friend pool.

Goldman Sachs?
Yup, it was a chevy tahoe. I'm open to the fact that it was an honest mistake. But when you line the cars up and the damage matches 100%, its time to man up.

My friend "knew of" this guy in that they've talked a few times, but they weren't really buddies. My friend was definitely appalled that this guy wouldn't own up to his mistake.

Actually no, not goldman.

Originally Posted by jhubs
Here is the problem! "Investment banker"... what did you expect!
He's not an investment banker, and I work in financial services as well, so take it easy with that.

Originally Posted by g_murray
As was said, what a douche!

FWIW, I would personally meet with this person - bring a friend with you as a witness - and give him a chance to fess up and admit to it.

Let him mull over it -- telling him, as he ponders, that you are going to pursue this 100% and have come to him - so as to give him a chance to man up - to fess up.

If he balks and does the 100% denial routine -- (and basically tells you "Good luck with that!") -- then you NEED to plan out your 'route' towards your own satisfaction - i.e. the whole car brought back to the way it was before the damage was done.

The fact that you/cops found the paint from HIS car on YOUR car is 100% solid evidence. It didn't get there my magic or tele-transportation.

I know you are SICK to your stomach over this - and, trust me, all of us here, on this forum, feel for you and want YOU and your car to 'get better'.

OK, off you go.

Gerry
Gerry, those are good ideas. The police already questioned him, but I may just have a word with him before the insurance stuff gets started.

My route currently is this:

talk to the adjuster and get the repairs started on my car. Get police report and send it along, and let my insurance company get started. If anyone balks, thats when the lawyers get involved.

Here are a few snaps of his car:

as you can see, its pretty clear.

Thanks for the support guys. Its just a car and no one got hurt, but we all work so hard to find nice accident free/paintwork free cars, and some careless idiot can ruin it just like that.

Whats the best method for a diminished value claim? I should probably search.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by max911
he wears a suit to work, so he must be honorable!!
... just another POS following the "lie and deny" MO that is far to prevalent in today's society.

I hope the repair turns out to your satisfaction.... there is more hope for your car than mankind !
yeah, you're right, his career choice doesn't mean anything.

I lose more faith in mankind every day.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Your character is defined by your actions when no one is looking.
If you need a Turbo spoiler. Doug (owner) at Vortex Motorsports here in Tampa has a mint condition Turbo spoiler in black. It came off his '96 when he went to an "s" spoiler. I've seen it and it's perfect. I think he wants $1500 for it.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:38 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Sorry for your troubles. My .02 says to fix it as quickly as you can so you can move on and enjoy up up coming beautiful weather!
Old 04-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

shoot him....he deserves it
Old 04-25-2010, 04:01 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

My car is in the shop right now from a bang-up where the other driver exited an alley without looking and drove into me. At least she couldn't deny it.

You should read the book Freakonomics. There is a great case study in there that shows that blue collar workers are more honest than white collar workers.

http://freakonomicsbook.com/freakono...-freakonomics/
Old 04-25-2010, 04:17 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'm assuming I'll need a new quarter panel.
Total bummer -- but really, you don't need a quarter panel. That would be a massive over-reaction probably driven by the body shop guy having dollar signs in his eyes.

The end of the panel got bent down a little bit. A metal guy will be able to straighten it out in 45 minutes with no bondo. Once you take the bumper off and remove the tail light, there is total access on the underside. Don't let a body shop talk you into replacing the panel -- that involves extensive cutting, welding, etc. Welds are a rust magnet. Your car looks ugly right now, but really, this is a very minor fender-bender.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:25 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

QuadCammer, those photos of his truck bumper are damming evidence. Be sure to show the images to your insurance company and Remember, Karma is a Bitch! ...

I recently went through the bumper repair process as well. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ristmas-2.html

The key thing is to keep a positive attitude and consider some nice upgrades to your car while your car is in the body shop.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Noah
Total bummer -- but really, you don't need a quarter panel. That would be a massive over-reaction probably driven by the body shop guy having dollar signs in his eyes.

The end of the panel got bent down a little bit. A metal guy will be able to straighten it out in 45 minutes with no bondo. Once you take the bumper off and remove the tail light, there is total access on the underside. Don't let a body shop talk you into replacing the panel -- that involves extensive cutting, welding, etc. Welds are a rust magnet. Your car looks ugly right now, but really, this is a very minor fender-bender.
Thats good to know. I wasn't sure, but it was a possibility in my mind. I'm most curious now about why my engine lid doesn't line up and whether thats a hinge issue or other more serious damage.

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
QuadCammer, those photos of his truck bumper are damming evidence. Be sure to show the images to your insurance company. Remember, Karma is a Bitch ...

I just went through the bumper repair process as well. The key thing is to keep a positive attitude and consider some nice upgrades to your car while your car is in the body shop.
yeah, I mean i've been fairly calm about the whole process. Just hard to keep anything nice these days.

The police report has these images and both insurance companies will see them. I'll be shocked if his insurance company balks.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't change the quarter panel if you can avoid it. Maybe better to repair it as to leave the original spot welding intact.

On looking at the damage to his vehicle, there maybe a small chance he did not notice that he a had damaged your car. Surely he would have at least wiped away your red rear lens from his vehicle to hide the evidence if he was that dishonest, and then parked somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Rear-ended, hit and run