Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making the spoiler switch-activated only...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:54 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander
Why do you care if it goes up and down? Oh - you think it ruins the "look" of the car. So what?
"So what?" H-m-m-m-m-m...The reason I care (And I am only speaking for myself) is the same reason you don't care...And the same reason you don't care if I care...Personal preference...Simple as that...Or is that not acceptable? (And if it isn't, then you reason for not caring is no more valid than mine for caring).
Old 04-07-2010, 11:03 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...sequences.html
Old 04-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, I opted for the RUF module because I was tired of the spoiler going up and down constantly in the type of traffic flow I found myself in. Plus I went through a few plastic spoiler dams in a short time, which I attribute partly to a lot of up and down of the spoiler.

The RUF module was a simple fix. Was it expensive? Sure, but perhaps not in relation to other mods. Or at the least it's on par with everything Porsche.

We spend big money on things like exhaust tips, or shift *****, etc.. Are those worth the money? Are they necessary? Carbon fiber bits and pieces? Expensive, yes. Necessary?

The RUF module doesn't make the car go any faster or look any better. But it's functionality was worth it to me, personally.

It's all subjective and so we do what works for us as individuals.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

There was a really nice post from a Rennlist Member who made a programable unit.. thing was really slick.. Found it..

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ol-module.html
Old 04-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg964
I can hear it go up and down which gets annoying in stop and go traffic or on the streets around here with traffic lights every 1/4 mile. There is no reason for it to go up at 45 mph, if it was in any way necessary Ruf would not offer the module. Oh and I do like the look of the car better with the spoiler down-why does that bother you so much?
You really shouldn't be able to hear it go up or down. There's been a ton of posts on rennlist about that over the years.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:30 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

It's really simple:
1. Anytime between 10-50mph, a single touch on the switch in the up direction will fully deploy the spoiler (you do not need to hold the switch in the up position) Then, with the spoiler deployed (up), a single touch to the cockpit switch in the up direction between 10-50mph will keep the spoiler up until the next time the car is started and 50mph is exceeded and then speed drops below 10mph.
2. You can over-ride this at anytime by bringing the spoiler down with a simple one-touch of the button in the cockpit in the down direction between 10-50mph.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:04 AM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What I don't like about that mod described in the 964 forum is that you loose the single touch operation. With that mod, you have to hold the button long enough for the thing to deploy (or retract), which is about 6 or 7 seconds. I don't want to sit there with my finger on the button counting 1...2...3... and hope that I waited long enough.

What I usually do is give the button a quick press the first time I happen to think about it as I begin my drive. If I'm between about 8 and 50 mph, it goes all the way up with a single quick press.

Then, when I'm nearing my destination, I press the button down (again, in that 8-50mph range), and it goes all the way down. My problem is that I often forget to put it down. I step out of the car, turn around and there it is - the spoiler is up. So I get back in, but the key in, turn it to On, press and hold the button...

So, the bottom line for me is that I'll be getting an RS wing one of these days...
Old 04-08-2010, 02:32 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the bottom line for me is that I'll be getting an RS wing one of these days...
LOL, thanks Bruce, you're making the $400 I spent on the Ruf module look like a bargain.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:35 AM
Leucadia
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
What's annoying is that one of the most pleasing shapes in automotive history is ruined by what appears at first glance to be an elementary school lunchroon tray left sitting on the rear deck. It just looks frickin' silly, that's all.

As for cooling, I could stand for my car to run a little hotter...It takes forever to heat it up so I can check the oil.
I'm with you bro.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:33 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Its not a matter of that. Its just silly to have the thing go up and down everytime one comes to a stop. If I designed the spoiler control, I would have had it come down on speed and time...not just speed.

I just put mine up manually after I start the car and it stays there for the duration of the drive.
+1
Old 04-12-2010, 09:52 AM
B18CXr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know if this trick works the same for the 993?

Yes, worked perfectly on my '95

Quick Reply: Making the spoiler switch-activated only...