993 Forum 1995-1998

Project: Custom Spoiler Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 07:44 PM
cowtown
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project: Custom Spoiler Control Module

I wanted to share my latest project, a programmable spoiler control module for my 993. I've been looking around for alternatives to the stock unit, and the RUF is just way too expensive for what you get, IMO. So I spent twice what the RUF costs, and spent tons of time, to figure out how to make a complete replacement. Now THERE's a good return on investment! (For me, it was really about the challenge, and learning something about how the car works.)

The circuit is built around a 4MHz programmable microcontroller. There's some support circuitry to control the relays, a circuit to convert the incoming speed signal to something usable by the chip (TTL), and of course a stable power supply to run it all. The four LEDs indicate heartbeat, tail is up, tail is down, and "error" to indicate that a part (motor, switch, button, etc.) has failed. Everything is isolated or buffered so there's no direct connection between this board and the car's electronics.

The nicest thing about doing it this way is that spoiler behavior is totally configurable in software. The board links to a laptop using a serial connector and downloads its code, which then stays in memory indefinitely. I can change raising speed,lowering speed, and whether the console button is a one-touch manual operation.

Also threw in some more sophisticated rules, such as "only raise the tail if the car is above X MPH for Y number of seconds," to prevent the light-to light up/down/up/down pattern we know so so well.

Since it's got memory built in, some adaptive "learning" is also possible, such as detecting a series of traffic lights or stop-and-go freeway driving on your regular commute and adapting accordingly. Sky's the limit because it's all just code.

I've been using it for two week on my daily commute and back road drives, and it's working fine. I've currently got it programmed for tail-up at 65MPH, down at 15MPH, and "only raise if I'm above 65MPH for 10 seconds straight." I made the console button one-touch (not hold down), and allowed the button to manually lower the tail at any speed below 65MPH. The dash indicator in the clock could also be set up as a tail up/down indicator or whatever.

I'm working on putting the board into a nice anodized extruded aluminum box. It should look as good as stock. Right now I've had to fab up a male plug because I still haven't found the correct connector. All in all, this has been a fun project and I learned a lot about the car's circuitry.
Attached Images    

Last edited by cowtown; 01-05-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:50 PM
SinVancouver
Instructor

Lol.. thats some nice work.. I wouldn't be surprised if you see a line forming in this thread.. who knows.. this could turn out to be a better return on investment than you think lol...

SinVancouver..

Oh yeah and add me to any list that forms
Old 01-05-2007, 07:52 PM
911C2
Racer

I think it is awsome that you could do that. are there aerodynamic benefits? Cooling?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:07 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Group buy!
Old 01-05-2007, 08:08 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SinVancouver
I wouldn't be surprised if you see a line forming in this thread..
I'll get in line behind Sin.

Nice work, Cowtown! Let us know if you feel like "learning" more.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:13 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

In line ...
Old 01-05-2007, 08:26 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

What an awesome piece of work and um... yes I am waiting in line! Here in the DC area it can get pretty tiresome with the tail up and down all the time.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:37 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in too!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's great!

I wasn't converting to a fixed tail in the future I'd get one for sure. But I bet you can sell a few!

Don
Old 01-05-2007, 10:22 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's awesome! I envy anyone that can do what you just did.

Please count me in.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:36 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is great, I'd be interested if you decide to make more too!
Old 01-05-2007, 11:17 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Yikes! That's really nice work...I'm in line if you decide to mass build.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:02 AM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cabrio993
That's awesome! I envy anyone that can do what you just did.

Please count me in.
+1

Please count me in! ....and I also want one just because of the engineering that went into it ! I can really appreciate that! Very cool skill and oh yeah.....you are one sick man! nice !

Old 01-06-2007, 12:09 AM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that's awesome! Now, what about setting it to go up when you turn on the ignition and down when you turn it off? That would be tricky because the power to the spoiler would be off when you turn off the ignition...
Old 01-06-2007, 12:14 AM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Originally Posted by brucec59
Wow, that's awesome! Now, what about setting it to go up when you turn on the ignition and down when you turn it off? That would be tricky because the power to the spoiler would be off when you turn off the ignition...
nice idea !

also, what is the "general rule" about group buys?.....the first page adopters are the most important or something like that?..... lol !

j/k

Quick Reply: Project: Custom Spoiler Control Module