Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the rear spoiler / wing be disconnected without consequences?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:33 PM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Can the rear spoiler / wing be disconnected without consequences?

What are the consequences of disconnecting the rear spoiler/wing?

Will a warning light be activated?

Is there an impact on engine cooling?

Is there an impact on stability up to say, 90 mph?

How does one disconnect the mechanism/power than raises the wing?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:42 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the owner's manual, an inoperable spoiler will impair engine cooling.

In reality, I doubt the impact is that worrisome.

To disable the feature, simply unplug the wire harness clip from the spoiler control module (located under the dash at the passenger's footwell). The warning light will not go on.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,448 Likes on 837 Posts

dare I ask why you want to do this?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So long as you disconnect it in the extended position, I'm sure you'll be fine.

When it comes to engine cooling, perhaps I'm a little less intrepid than most. I have my oil cooler fan permanently set to high, and my engine tray is off.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:22 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 56 Posts

I didn't like the constant up-and-down of the moveable wing in traffic, which is why I went with a fixed spoiler.

I concur with Ed...if you disconnect the module plug, make sure the spoiler is in the extended position, as the spoiler is there for a reason, not just for the novelty factor.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:56 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Go with the RUF module. Up and 75 down at 15. Never goes up around town.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

johzev: Isn't that 75 and 45?
Old 07-14-2009, 05:13 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by jackb911
I didn't like the constant up-and-down of the moveable wing in traffic, which is why I went with a fixed spoiler.
i'm pretty sure that if you briefly press the spoiler button UP, once the spoiler is already raised, it will stay up until you stop and shut off the ignition = no up-n-down cycles when in traffic.
but
it's been > 1 year since i had my stock motorized spoiler deck lid on and may be mis-remembering.

craig
Old 07-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

AFAIK the spoiler has two purposes, aerodynamics (downforce at speed) and engine cooling.

given that the 993 is essentially oil cooled and the oil radiators are in the front of the car, I don't think that the spoiler provides all that much cooling. When it is extended, heat can more readily escape the engine compartment, but I don't think there is much effect on engine temperature. Is it enough to damage anything, I doubt it, shorten lifespan of heat sensitive components? maybe,

While the spoiler generates downforce, unless you are on the track, it won't make a huge differenece.
I am waiting for a microswitch for my 993 spoiler, so in the mean time, I have disconnected power to my spoiler so I don't burn out the motor. At highway speeds, and even in excess of the legal posted limits, the 993 is very stable. The higher the speed, the more necessary the spoiler becomes.

Yes, the warning light will come on at 55, and then go back out at 7.

Are there consequences to disconnecting power? probably some, otherwise the factory wouldn't have put them on the car, are they significant? that depends on the type of driving. for most daily commuter driving, the consequences are probably minimal. For hard, agressive, track driving, well, the consequences become more substantial. The factory plans on their customers driving these cars agressively. Not that everyone does of course.
If your 993 is a commuter car that is n't driven very agressively (do you shift at 5K+) and you are driving cool climates, then disconnecting spoiler power probably isn't going to be a huge impact. If you do shift at 5K+ and it is frequently 85+degrees, then I wouldn't disconnect power.

I am guessing Philly suburbs can be pretty warm in the summertime...
YMMV
The above is entirely my opinion and not based on any factual studies or data...
Old 07-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If the rear spoiler of a NA 993 is disabled, Porsche stipulates that the car should not be driven above 72 mph: the car's stability and engine cooling (hot air is aspirated through the opening) are effected negatively.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:06 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

The RUF module does say up at 75 and down at 45. In actuality and this has been confirmed by other rennlisters, with the Ruf module the wing raises at about 75 and retracts at about 15. It really does eliminate the up and down during city driving.

As for using the switch. I could never get the console switch to work as described Craig.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:56 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe he got tired of the coffee grinder noise?
Old 07-15-2009, 01:14 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My understanding that for cooling the spoiler only really helps above 75 mph or so. At those speeds the airflow over the car begins to produce negative pressure over the rear deck which limits cooling and as speeds increase create lift so the spoiler helps with cooling but only at higher speeds. The airflow issue is really only a factor at high speeds so at slower speeds the cooling will work just fine with the spoiler up or down so as a practical matter as long as you're not running at 80+ mph for prolonged periods I doubt it matters at all.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a ScanGauge II thing hooked up to my 996 all the time, one of the things I monitor is the IAT (Intake Air temperature). I have noticed a huge drop in temp. after the spoiler rises. Typically the IAT is about 5-10 degrees higher than outside air temp. with the spoiler up, but about 30 degrees hotter with the spoiler down.

There is a deflector inside the spoiler when it is up to deflect fresh air into the engine bay, on 964, 993, 996 + so at any speed they are helpful.

So with approximately 1% change in HP for every 10 degrees we are talking about 8-10 horse power lost with the high IAT temp.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:49 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johzev
...As for using the switch. I could never get the console switch to work as described Craig.
Once the spoiler is up and you drop below 50 mph, one touch on the switch will keep it up.

Quick Reply: Can the rear spoiler / wing be disconnected without consequences?