Sponsored by: DashLynx

Parking Light Improvement

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:26 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I must confess...

I changed out the two interior lights above the doors, and the trunk and engine lid lights as well...all with the LEDs from superbrightleds.com.
After 5 minutes of looking at them I cleaned off the old ones and put them back in. The LEDs just looked so cold and uninviting to me...I prefer the warmth of the incandescent bulbs. I am returning the unused bulbs to Subperbrightleds.com.

However, I did leave the new LED parking light in...although it too is colder looking, it now matches the 55 watt HIDs I got from DDM, Now the front looks more integrated and the headlights look like "part of the car" instead of an add-on. Now, I need the H3 fogs and I will be done with lights for now. The H3 lights I got are not bright as noted by diligent RL'r a couple posts back!
I am going to get the Sylvania H3's.

*This has been posted before but while I was "into my lights" I disassembled the headlights (took front sealed lens off cleaned the inside of it and the reflector (USE CAUTION SO YOU DON'T MAR OR SCRATCH)...Wow, you can't beleive the film and dirt that gets in there even thought the factory seal had never been broken! Now when I look at my headlights the lenses are clear and glistening...you can see all the detail of the reflectors and bulbs and I must say, it makes my car look much better!
Old 04-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default not plug and play......

Am I the only person who's LED's didn't work out of the box (I bought those '5 LED' items from Hong Kong)? I found out after buying them that our car's have a positive earth - polarity doesn't matter for ordinary bulbs, but does for LED's. I guess I'll be cutting, swapping and re-splicing the wires then?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:19 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewart
I found out after buying them that our car's have a positive earth
They do? News to me.

Andreas
Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine worked...
Old 04-09-2010, 09:34 AM
The Eagle
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the way to go: reverse the plug (scrape away the two guides)

~ The Eagle ~
---------------------

'96 Polar Silver/Black C4S, manual, litronics, LED's in the positioning lights, alu/leather shifter & handbrake,
silver face gauges with alu rings, "GT" sport seats, full leather interior, motor sound airbox, stainless door sills,
valve caps Porsche crested brushed alloy, front protection bar, with split rear grill and layered with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax

'92 Carrera 2 (Sold)
'89 Carrera 3.2 (Sold)
Old 04-09-2010, 11:06 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 240 Posts

For clarity, our cars does not have positive earth at all, it's only Stewart's car that have reverse polarity on the bulb socket. I've never seen that before, I've mounted park light LED's on over ten 993's.

There's an additional way to fix that, unclip the two metal pins inside the female connector, and interchange them. But, it may be a bit tricky, a barb must be bent inwards on the metal part using a thin metal rod or similar to release the pin.
Regards,
Tore
Old 05-31-2010, 08:26 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

How come the easiest mods turn out to be the most 'bug' prone. I got the clear lights for my new Euro turn signals to eliminate the egg yolk look and I changed the drivers side in 2 minutes. The passenger side bulb will not come out of the socket!!! I can untwist the bayonet bulb but cannot get it out of the socket.

Any experience with this?

Update: I think the socket that houses the bulb is shot - seems like the bulb is stuck pretty good. I think the indicator light socket part is 993 631 126 00. Anyone know if this is correct. The part isn't clearly part of any schematic I can find online.

Last edited by 993c4_Toronto; 05-31-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: New Info
Old 05-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi guys. I think you may find the US cars have negative earth but ROW cars have positive earth. I first discovered this when wondering why my porsche trickle charger would not charge though my cigarette lighter socket. I may be worng but after some research I discovered it is wired different from teh fuse boxand I recall there being a difference in poliarity of earth....

Cheers
M
Old 05-31-2010, 11:55 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

993c4_Toronto, what bulbs did you use in the clear corners? I also have clears and have been looking for a brighter 2 filament bulb. The turn signal bulbs stay on as part of the daytime running lights (I too am in Toronto) and they are a very yellow colour. I replaced the parking lights with those 5 LED bulbs so they match the HID's, replaced the fogs with Superbrights (better but not anywhere as white as the HID's) but have been not been able to find the answer to which bulb matches the HID colour for the clear cornered turn signals?? Does such a thing exist??

thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 09:39 AM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Vern1 - Your turn lights stay on as a configuration of the DRL? I don't think I have seen that before.

I bought the bulbs that are silver when not illuminated so the look good when the turn signal is not on. That was my primary goal. I never came across a bulb for the turn signal that was desighned to match the look of HIDs. I know you have been looking for a while for that.

I have one of my new bulbs installed and it looks great. Unfortunatly as I wrote above, I can't get the second bulb out of the socket!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:22 AM
aircooled
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Vern,

I used LEDs in the "positioning lights" to match the HIDs.

Like Steven above, used the silver coated 1157standard (double contact) Parking and turn signals are amber anyway, so no need for color matching to the HIDs. Regarding bulb removal, may just have to break the existing bulb to get it out. I'm looking at one of the sockets now--no corrosion, just stuck - looks like a double fillament bulb in a single socket.

When I ordered Euro Clear corners, they came with a socket for a single filament bulb (1156). Just replaced it with the stock dual filament (1157)

One supplier, Superbrights makes a variety of automotive replacements that may work in your situtation, see: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...n.html%23a3156 If yours are used for DRL as well as turn signals, a load resistor may be needed on the flashing segment.

It is confusing, may just have to order and try it out...good luck
Old 06-01-2010, 03:13 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Guys.......all cars have negative earth.................pleeeeaaassseeeeeeeeeee
Old 06-01-2010, 03:33 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 240 Posts

Well, maybe we're digging into language technicalities here, maybe not the safest ground (!) for a native Norwegian.:-) :-)
"Earth" in electrical terms is the reference point and indicate nothing about polarity. Some cars, mostly made by our brilliant British friends have the positive battery pole connected to "ground" or chassis. I'll bet Mr. Lucas has something to do with this, Patent Holder Of the Short Circuit. Maybe 911pervy can elaborate this better than me?
Anyway, modern cars have all "negative earth" and the negative battery pole connected to chassis.
Voilá!
Tore
Old 06-01-2010, 03:43 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
Guys.......all cars have negative earth.................pleeeeaaassseeeeeeeeeee
My '72 Land Rover (SWB, Diesel) did not...

Andreas
Old 06-01-2010, 03:43 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by ToreB
Well, maybe we're digging into language technicalities here, maybe not the safest ground (!) for a native Norwegian.:-) :-)
"Earth" in electrical terms is the reference point and indicate nothing about polarity. Some cars, mostly made by our brilliant British friends have the positive battery pole connected to "ground" or chassis. I'll bet Mr. Lucas has something to do with this, Patent Holder Of the Short Circuit. Maybe 911pervy can elaborate this better than me?
Anyway, modern cars have all "negative earth" and the negative battery pole connected to chassis.
Voilá!
Tore
OK, good point, all cars from 1970 ish onwards have the - connected to the chassis so negative earth. Old, real old British cars and some other Jonny foreigner makes had positive earths

Quick Reply: Parking Light Improvement