Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Interior color question... how many shades of grey?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:53 AM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior color question... how many shades of grey?

Got a question about the interior color of my former car which now belongs to rc1320. I'm selling the original seats which, as far as I know, are classic grey as are the rear seats, carpet and door panels that are still in the car. It has a black dash, headliner and parcel shelf.

Anywhoo, I have the seats for sale on this forum, and a guy is asking me if I am sure they are classic grey. He says they appear to be a lot lighter than his classic grey interior.

Below is a shot of the seats and the only one I still have of the interior. Does the flash make the grey color appear to be lighter? How many shades of grey were there for a '95 993?

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...way-power.html

Old 03-22-2010, 01:22 AM
whatyoutalknaboutwillis
Instructor

Take a picture of the decal under the hood: Classic or marble grey? Hard to tell from the picts but the color code can be cross walked with color description. I am in the market for marble grey seats myself.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:47 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good question. My seats are the same as yours I think. All the time I had my car I thought it was classic gray but now I think they are somewhere between classic gray and marble. I've got a friend with a lighter gray which I believed was the marble but maybe his are Linen. I think I've heard of a "space" gray also. Curious to see what feedback you get on this.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Man thats hard. Your seats look like classic grey with a flash but your car interior looks lighter. I think the camera may be over exposing the interior picture with black seats.

M
Old 03-22-2010, 02:09 AM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whatyoutalknaboutwillis
Take a picture of the decal under the hood: Classic or marble grey? Hard to tell from the picts but the color code can be cross walked with color description. I am in the market for marble grey seats myself.
Gawd I am such a geek. I still have a pic of the option code decal. What can we decipher from this ? My interior is "PT" ?

Old 03-22-2010, 02:32 AM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Ah-ha!

"PT" is "Florentine Grey" . Thanks for this thread JPS...

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ssic-grey.html

By that I mean, looking at http://www.993faq.com/?p=106, the interior option codes are:
BG Chestnut Brown
BM Chestnut Brown
BX Chestnut Brown
DF Classic Grey
EB Black
FE Midnight Blue
FJ Midnight Blue
FK Midnight Blue
FS Cashmere Beige/Black
JB Nephrite Green
KH Chestnut Brown
LC Cashmere Beige/Black
LG Cashmere Beige/Black
LT Black
MB Boxster Red
MX Classic Grey
PT Florentine Grey
SA Black
SB Classic Grey
SC Midnight Blue
SD Chestnut Brown
SG Cashmere Beige/Black
TF Classic Grey
TT Classic Grey
US Midnight Blue
VD Black full leather
VN Black partial leather
YA Cashmere Beige/Black

4 of those are Classic Grey. I know there are a couple of shades of grey, one of which I've heard is Marble, which I don't even see here. I'm trying to figure out if the light grey in a car I'm looking at is Classic Grey or something else for matching a seat.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:02 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by kiesan
4 of those are Classic Grey. I know there are a couple of shades of grey, one of which I've heard is Marble, which I don't even see here. I'm trying to figure out if the light grey in a car I'm looking at is Classic Grey or something else for matching a seat.
Hey Kie, I miss your car driving through my neighborhood (12th and E. Thomas ...)
Your list is not complete (you're missing Marble grey, Rubicon Grey, Space Grey (leather only), Dark Grey (leather only) not to mention Provence Blue, Cedar Green, Flamenco Red, etc.) and it's missing the internal numerical factory code that determines, among other things, what combination of colors are present, which color is dominant (Marble over Rubicon v.s. Rubicon over Marble) and what type of material they are made from (i.e. plastic, leather covered plastic, vinyl leatherette, cloth, etc.) A few weekends ago, I saw an Arena Red S with Sport Seats that had Rubicon Bolsters with Marble Grey perforated center cushions plus black carpet, all factory.

Unfortunately, my resources show Florentine Grey for a carpet color only (code DDQ). For 1995 the only grey's listed are Classic and Marble, however, every year had 'Special Order Custom Leather Available to Sample'.

You might contact GAHH in L.A. and have them send you a bag of samples to compare color. Vinyl leatherette and Leather in the same color differ in shade dramatically.

Last edited by JPP; 03-22-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Interior color question... how many shades of grey?