Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self Gratification with Pictures - Outlaw 993 - Updated with Dec 2010 Mods!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:40 AM
deleonl1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful!!!
Old 09-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks Nurburger and others for you positive comments.

My intention is to make only some small subtle tweakes between now and Xmas (intsall later 96+ rear third high brake light with cover painted steel grey, suede grey inserrts on bucket seats, some slight tinkering with suspension height). I will then groom and commission a professional photo shoot as our weather will be nice in Jan and I will post on here with any new updates...thats the plan.

Cheers
M
Old 09-20-2010, 06:06 PM
daveHy
Advanced

Hi Macca Your car looks great and your insight to various mods food for thought. One future mod I may be able to help you with. I picked up a dach cat bypass for my ROW 96 and whilst it did give me more top end it also produced a lot of unporschelike backfiring. I dont mind a bit of popping on the over run but it was everytime I changed up over 2500rpm. I ended up taking it off, cutting it and welding in two 100 cell cats. No loss of performance sounds good and much less popping. You ever get to Cairns ? if so meet up for a beer and talk 993's.
dave
Old 09-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Dave. Great to hear from another RHD ROW 993 owner - especially one down under :-).

Yes I found that the Dach X make lots of popping and farting but on my car this only appears to happen on the over run. It sounds great and I love it.

I must confess to having only covered 400 km since the pipes were installed and I didnt specifically listen for any noises like you describe around 2500 rpm.

My car was a NZ new car that left the factory Nov/Dec 1993. NZ was running leaded fuel still until later in 1994 so the car was equipped with rare option M150 (also used on UAE and some SA 993s). This is a closed loop non lambda system using C02 Potentiometer. So I have no 02 sensors at all! My factory cats were devoid of Catalysts as well. For this reason and perhaps the new MAF, Steve Wong Chip, LWFC or NVR early engine I do not seem to be having any issues of backfiring across the rev range unless on the over run or induced.

I get to QLD every 12-15 months but to be hones not often up your way although you do live in a beautiful part of the world with idyllic climate. If I do get up there Id be sure to look you up for that bevvy ad chat!

Cheers
M
Old 09-20-2010, 07:18 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Shifter tunnel in CF is a great idea - the stock piece weighs a ton!

How about RS door panels to drop a bit more weight?

Guard or factory Motorsports LSD is a good idea. I believe the Guard LSDs are made in your neck of the woods?

Only thing I disagree with on your original list is that you've described the RS sways as less than hot. IMHO, they're perfect for our cars and stiffer bars really reduce independence/warp and feel.

Lovely project, great read, thx for the ongoing updates and pics .
Old 09-21-2010, 01:08 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Matt.

Thanks for the feedback and ideas.

Ive definately contemplated the RS door cards. Im hesitant however as we do use the storage in them (I have the none hi fi option but with Boston Acoustics speakers and cross over installed). However the longer I think about weight loss the more sense these seem to make to me. Id likely go for the carbon ones with full carbon hardware that Marcus makes. Does anyone know what I could save in weight by changing over?

Guards is made in the USA. I may end up ging for a new Porsche Motorsports unit. Its a little cheaper and probably fine for my low mileage maintly street driven 993.

With regards the sway bars I think I was referring to the RS adjustable ones being less than hot due to bang for bucks. At around 1000 usd for that set up I think for the average 993 owner who maybe only goes o the track 1-2 times a year max then the turbo or C4S sway bars would work out to be a better investement at 1/3rd price. No adjustability but frankly I rarely have changed my RS ones in any case. If you do lotsa track work then fair enough.

Cheers
M
Old 09-21-2010, 01:12 AM
daveHy
Advanced

Hi Macca, sorry I thought the bypass mod was yet to be done. Interesting you didn't get any backfiring but then again your car is an interesting 'polution' spec. I ended up changing the o2 sensor ( I believe the boys with the steering wheel on the wrong side have 4 or something ridiculous ) cleaning injectors, fuel pressure etc in the end I wrote to 911 and Porsche world and they said you need some sort of cats, hence the 100 cell. What part of NZ you in ? have you still got your original turbo S ducts ? love all that carbon
Old 09-21-2010, 01:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Dave,

Yes pollution spec has actually been a blessing. Much simpler to modify! No Cell light. No 02 sensor costs either LOL!

Auckland.

Yes still have turbo S ducts. Infact Ive keep every single thing ever removed from the car from factory! Im likely to have a big garage sale one day when Ive decided what Im keeping and what Im selling.

Just need to decide if Im going to continue down the Outlaw route with this 993 or revert externally/visually at least to factory (or close to it) again? Im thinking "Outlaw 993" at the moment!

Any othr weight loss ideas from all and sundry appreciated...

Cheers
M
Old 09-21-2010, 01:28 AM
Priceless
Racer

WOW! Jaw dropping! VERY nice and love the wheels
Old 09-21-2010, 03:21 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Macca,

Guard is an American company, but if memory serves, quite a few of the key bits are manufactured "down under"....
Old 09-21-2010, 03:36 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

wow, just WOW!
Old 09-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

The Maccawagen just keeps getting better and better!
Old 09-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Matt. I wasnt aware of that. Interesting....

Id really like to keep my original door cards. Not least of all because I had them skinned in classic grey leather and spent alot of time and money having the CF inserts installed and CF handles which I quite like. It appears they are probaly worth less than 10lb/4.2kg each saving anyhow as Id like to retain the BA speakers with tweater and cross over, electric windows with auto lifter function etc.

Without substituting panels with none factory arts there seems little easy big hitters in weight loss. It would be wonderful if some left me some genuine 993 doors in alloy in their will (ex cup car etc) along with a genuine RS alloy hood! That would be 55lb/25kg done and dusted!

Dreams come free ;-)

Cheers
M
Old 09-21-2010, 10:01 PM
daveHy
Advanced

Macca, do you want to sell the ducts if you have the techart ones plus the original lights ??

dave
Old 09-22-2010, 01:12 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Dave. Ill send ou a PM regards the ducts. I have a storage unit filled with the parts from this car and probably need to do something about that at some stage LOL! Let me know if there are any other bits you are searching for...

Cheers
M

Quick Reply: Self Gratification with Pictures - Outlaw 993 - Updated with Dec 2010 Mods!