Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can I find 60k service details? Also, PPI items?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Yardape
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I find 60k service details? Also, PPI items?

Porsche noob... getting ready to pull the trigger on a '95.
Looking for a list of the required items for the 60k inspection/service.
I'd also like your opinions on what should be addressed on a PPI. As well as compression check info (good numbers, bad, etc.)
Thanks in advance for the info. I look forward to joining the club.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Just about everything you need to know.
http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.php/Main_Page

Direct
http://www.pcarworkshop.com/images/b...e_Schedule.pdf
Old 02-21-2010, 03:08 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yardape
Porsche noob... getting ready to pull the trigger on a '95.
Looking for a list of the required items for the 60k inspection/service.
I'd also like your opinions on what should be addressed on a PPI. As well as compression check info (good numbers, bad, etc.)
Thanks in advance for the info. I look forward to joining the club.
I think you should mention the car's general location and ask here for references for a shop to do the PPI. Having learned this lesson myself, I would add that you might want to have a separate shop check paint/bodywork/frame, unless the primary shop is well versed in such things. Don't trust CarFax.

As for the 60K, I'd add a couple things that aren't on the official list given the age of these cars; plug wires, distributor belts. There are other items in this category I'm sure, but those two come to mind first,,, (neither has been done yet on my car, AFAIK, at 113K miles.)
Old 02-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Yardape
AutoX

Thanks folks. Great info!
I've found a couple for sale, both in Ohio.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Yardape
AutoX

One more for the experts... I've read that the 993 engine has reliability issues. Can you shed some light on these issues and what I should be looking for?
Thanks... again.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The 993 engine is one of the best of the entire 911 series. Their issues pale in comparison to that of other engines.

1996 and later cars are OBDII compliant, which means a clogged SAI port will cause the Check Engine Light to come on. The root cause of this is often worn valve guides. 1995 cars are OBDI, which doesn't monitor for that, so even though the ports and the valve guides are the same as in the later cars, any problems there do not result in a "I have to fix this NOW in order to pass my emissions test!" scenario. Indeed, there are some homespun remedies for cleaning out the ports and resetting the codes.

There are leak prone areas such as valve covers and timing chain covers, but those are annoyances rather than show stoppers. My car is as strong as ever even though it's now leaking like a sieve.

Do not let engine issues deter you from this model; again, by comparison to other 911 series, these are as bulletproof as they get.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:24 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What "reliability" issues? Elaborate, and we'll be happy to discuss/point in the right direction on some maintenance that needs to be addressed. But there aren't any issues with really any 3.6 air cooled engine regarding whether it will catastrophically fail (to use a Porsche water-cooled engine term).
Old 02-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Yardape
AutoX

Funny you should ask race911... I was wondering the same thing. I've read a few posts on the 996 section where people were happy they bought it over the 993 as they don't have the engine problems. But they did not elaborate on what those issues were. That was what sparked my question to you guys.
Ed, thanks for the feedback as well.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:29 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yardape
Funny you should ask race911... I was wondering the same thing. I've read a few posts on the 996 section where people were happy they bought it over the 993 as they don't have the engine problems. But they did not elaborate on what those issues were. That was what sparked my question to you guys.
Ed, thanks for the feedback as well.
now you've done it... let the engine reliability debates begin!

It is safe to say that every iteration of 911 engine has had an issue of some sort. Some are worse than others... the M96 engine has the potential for one of the most costly failures. The debates on this go on for pages at time on every board.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:39 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, name ONE of the air-cooled 911 engine issues that requires basically throwing the engine away and plugging in a factory reman unit?

Bottom line is that you can REPAIR air cooled, but you REPLACE water cooleds. (NOTE: this discussion does not include word one about which approach costs less.)

If we want to go chapter and verse, I've had my hands in multiples of all generations: 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.7, 3.0, 3.2, 3.6 normally aspirated, 3.0, 3.3 turbo, AND the cobbled together variants.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Yardape
AutoX

No worries guys. Don't want to open up that debate with the 996 crew. I saw a few words of FUD from the other guys that had me concerned. You have put my mind at ease. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Where can I find 60k service details? Also, PPI items?