Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm so pissed off that the Kinesis Supercups won't fit over Big Reds!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 11:46 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 564 Likes on 201 Posts
Angry I'm so pissed off that the Kinesis Supercups won't fit over Big Reds!

I need a 12mm spacer up front to make them fit and there is no way in hell that is going to work with the my suspension geometry.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:03 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sure they wont fit (my Gemballas are 18x9" ET40 mounted with 245/35 PS2)?
Old 02-19-2010, 12:11 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

They won't. Tested it. The other thing is that even if I tweaked things around I would still need to get longer studs to cover the spacer...
Old 02-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,188 Likes on 1,838 Posts

I ran 12mm spacers up front with RS alignment specs and zero issues. However, if they're not working for you, all the better. Not confidence inspiring to have such a large spacer up front when you're driving spiritedly or at high speed. I removed mine shortly after install.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:45 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Louis, I've measured this in the past, and the larges spacer I can put on the car without compromising safety is 6mm. Here's how I've done the math: the amount of tread on the wheel stud that the nut goes on has to be at least as long as the diameter of the stud. With a 6mm spacer I get that exact amount. If you feel this is incorrect in any way please let me know, I'd love to figure out a way to make this work obviously...
Old 02-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I ordered mine from Wheel Enhancement they asked if I had stock brakes. Luckily I told them I was planning on upgrading them to Big Reds, so they made sure the offset (which I don't remember) was correct.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:58 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Louis, I've measured this in the past, and the larges spacer I can put on the car without compromising safety is 6mm. Here's how I've done the math: the amount of tread on the wheel stud that the nut goes on has to be at least as long as the diameter of the stud. With a 6mm spacer I get that exact amount. If you feel this is incorrect in any way please let me know, I'd love to figure out a way to make this work obviously...
unless i am missing something longer, studs are easy to install you dont even have to remove the discs .
Old 02-19-2010, 06:34 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ilko, I think I know what the problem is. I really like the look of the Kinesis supercup wheels (needless to say). But AFAIK, Kinesis have used a 17" wheelcentre for this wheel design as opposed to 18" wheel centres for the other brands (RH, Kerscher, Tramont etc.). This means that the back edge of the spokes of the wheelcentres with hit the big red brakes. My RH 3.6 speedlines fit over the big reds but they sit VERY close. The diameter of the wheelcentre though is 1inch larger than yours, which makes them fit. If you compare your supercups side by side (even a picture will do) against OEM 993RS wheels you will know what I mean. Look at the sizes of the wheelcentres and compare. Great looking wheel though. I bet they are still in great demand. Sell them and buy a set of 993RS speedlines? Just a thought..

Have a nice weekend

Old 02-19-2010, 06:40 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Yes Viggo, that is exactly the problem. And the centers are actually 16" on the Kinesis and 17" on the Speedlines. It could be corrected if the wheels were pushed out, but it's more effort than it's worth and I'll have to compromise in other areas such as safety and handling which I am unwilling to do.

Thankfully I didn't buy the wheels, but I've already gotten several PMs from people asking me to sell them
Old 02-19-2010, 06:45 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes Viggo, that is exactly the problem. And the centers are actually 16" on the Kinesis and 17" on the Speedlines. It could be corrected if the wheels were pushed out, but it's more effort than it's worth and I'll have to compromise in other areas such as safety and handling which I am unwilling to do.

Thankfully I didn't buy the wheels, but I've already gotten several PMs from people asking me to sell them
That's what I thought . Anyway, good thing that you didn't buy them then. You should PM RLer "Nurburger", he had two sets of NIB 993RS speedlines for sale. Certainly nice rims buy would require a spacer in the rear on your beautiful 4S. Have a nice weekend Ilko!
Old 02-19-2010, 06:51 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I've seen his posts and drooled all over them, but those wheels are 2x the price of the Supercups...

Have a great weekend as well
Old 02-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Benton
Drifting

Originally Posted by steve porter
unless i am missing something longer, studs are easy to install you dont even have to remove the discs .
They are actually pressed into the backside of the hub. You have to remove the calipers & discs, then remove the wheel bearing nut to remove the hub.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:09 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Yes Viggo, that is exactly the problem. And the centers are actually 16" on the Kinesis and 17" on the Speedlines....
I really wish they had released these before being sold...I would have bot 1 or 2 sets (would have looked awesome in a WB fitment)

Old 02-20-2010, 12:18 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,188 Likes on 1,838 Posts

You're right, you do need to replace the studs. The 14mm (not 12mm as I previously stated) H&R spacers I bought come with the longer studs already. And H&R recommends that you upgrade studs with any spacer over 5mm so you're bang on, on your assessment.

I did my homework on this before I moved ahead. Hope this helps:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...what-size.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-a-mirror.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-fit-rims.html
Old 02-20-2010, 09:31 AM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Benton
They are actually pressed into the backside of the hub. You have to remove the calipers & discs, then remove the wheel bearing nut to remove the hub.
sorry, i meant that you don`t have to remove the hub. there is a spot where you can knock a stud out, put new one in and rotate to next stud. thats how i did mine

Quick Reply: I'm so pissed off that the Kinesis Supercups won't fit over Big Reds!