Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm so pissed off that the Kinesis Supercups won't fit over Big Reds!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 01:19 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I need a 12mm spacer up front to make them fit and there is no way in hell that is going to work with the my suspension geometry.
Sorry if this is a newbie question but why wouldn't it work?

Originally Posted by Louis J.
I ran 12mm spacers up front with RS alignment specs and zero issues. However, if they're not working for you, all the better. Not confidence inspiring to have such a large spacer up front when you're driving spiritedly or at high speed. I removed mine shortly after install.
RUF run spacers (in the rear) with most models. Do you mean that a spacer using the stock studs is dangerous to use whereas if you have a bolt-on spacer that is much safer? Just curious, again sorry for the newbie question. Still learning..
Old 02-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,188 Likes on 1,838 Posts

Originally Posted by vhanzon
RUF run spacers (in the rear) with most models. Do you mean that a spacer using the stock studs is dangerous to use whereas if you have a bolt-on spacer that is much safer? Just curious, again sorry for the newbie question. Still learning..
Hey Viggo. Don't quote me on this but IIRC, the RUF spacers are hubcentric and therefore don't require longer bolts. Hubcentric spacers have built-in studs and holes that bolt on directly to the hub. The wheel is then mounted on the spacer's studs as per the pic below. Hubcentric spacers are not recommended for use in front wheels.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:22 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've not heard an issue with hubcentric up front. Why not use hubcentric up front?

(I need some front spacers for a lemons car, so I'm interested)
Old 02-20-2010, 02:33 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Viggo. Don't quote me on this but IIRC, the RUF spacers are hubcentric and therefore don't require longer bolts. Hubcentric spacers have built-in studs and holes that bolt on directly to the hub. The wheel is then mounted on the spacer's studs as per the pic below.

Yeah I think the RUF spacers are hubcentric. Those are the ones I mean, with built-in studs, exactly thanks.

Hubcentric spacers are not recommended for use in front wheels.
Why not?
Old 02-20-2010, 03:23 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 564 Likes on 201 Posts

Hub-centric spacers don't necessarily require the bolts that bolt on to the hub. Here's a hub-centric spacer with no bolts:

Sorry if this is a newbie question but why wouldn't it work?
In my case it won't work because the front wheel I'm looking at is 18x8.5ET60. A 12mm spacer (or larger) would push it too far out and it would rub on the fender. The only way I could possibly achieve that is by having more negative camber to the front wheels.

I haven't heard before about hub-centric spacers not being recommended for the front wheels, please let me know why that is. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2010, 04:32 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hub-centric spacers don't necessarily require the bolts that bolt on to the hub. Here's a hub-centric spacer with no bolts:
I always thought the "hub centric" refers to the raised lip. So when you place a wheel and/or spacer on the hub, it will "centered" on the hub and have no "off-center" issues during rotation of the wheel and/or spacer on the hub.

I haven't heard before about hub-centric spacers not being recommended for the front wheels, please let me know why that is. Thanks!
IIRC, its recommended NOT to use a spacer that is not hub centric at the front.
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,188 Likes on 1,838 Posts

Hub-centric spacers don't necessarily require the bolts that bolt on to the hub. I haven't heard before about hub-centric spacers not being recommended for the front wheels, please let me know why that is. Thanks!
Originally Posted by canysmc
I always thought the "hub centric" refers to the raised lip. So when you place a wheel and/or spacer on the hub, it will "centered" on the hub and have no "off-center" issues during rotation of the wheel and/or spacer on the hub. IIRC, its recommended NOT to use a spacer that is not hub centric at the front.
I apologize. I mixed up my terms and meant to say adapter, not hubcentric. Adapters are not recommended for use in the front.

In my case it won't work because the front wheel I'm looking at is 18x8.5ET60.
That changes everything. I was under the assumption the wheel widths and offset were the same but maybe the mounting face was different. The wheels may still fit with a 12mm spacer but a) its a 50/50 gamble and b) you would have to make the kind of compromises you alluded you may not be willing to make (minimum -2 camber and 225 tires).

As a reference, my OEM 8" ET52 wheels with 14mm spacers pictured on the links I posted sat 7mm inboard from where your wheels would position. I also had a set of custom made 9" ET48 wheels which I researched extensively before I decided on offsets to achieve the widest possible track with no rubbing. Those wheels sat 4mm inboard from where your wheels would position. I didn't get rubbing despite using 235 series tires with square shoulders that were .5" taller than OE spec. but I did run -2 camber.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: I'm so pissed off that the Kinesis Supercups won't fit over Big Reds!