993 Forum 1995-1998

Rant alert!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:12 PM
911ist
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rant alert!

I may not belong to the majority of p-car owners (those with deep pockets) so I am going to complain...$1800-$2000 for normal wear and tear service??? OUCH!!!!!! I know I bought a Porsche and not a Honda and you gotta pay to play blah blah blah but seriously? oil change, trans fluid change, spark plugs, all belts, some relays to make the heater work, PPI-type inspection and probably other small stuff here and there doesn't really add up to $2k in my book. This is a shop that is recommended by rlisters so I don't think I am getting ripped off. Yes, i know i need to start wrenching on the car but since this is a rant post, I am throwing logic and common sense out the effing window.

between this and rebuilding the rotary on my rx-7 track car, I will now go build a doghouse when the wife evicts me
Old 02-17-2010, 08:21 PM
jhubs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear you! That really is a lot of stuff for $2k, though! Porsche parts have gone sky high since the "Bush Banks" screwed over the ecomomy and put the dollar in a tailspin. Plus, CA prices are higher than other places I'm sure.
My shop charges standard $90 per hour here in CO. That's pretty standard for all the car dealerships and repair shops no matter what the make of car.
I still think that $300 is way too much for an oil change on a 993, so I only do it once a year.
Was that a "rant?"
Old 02-17-2010, 08:26 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, sounds like you just did the most major service you could do to your car. Subtract out $250-300 for the "PPI" inspection and you are down to $1500. What does it cost to do all belts, hoses, oil, and plugs in an NSX?

Your right, it's not cheap but I wouldn't say it's a poor value either. Of course, I do all of my own work so I'm not writing the big checks either!
Old 02-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by 911ist
I may not belong to the majority of p-car owners (those with deep pockets) so I am going to complain...$1800-$2000 for normal wear and tear service??? OUCH!!!!!! I know I bought a Porsche and not a Honda and you gotta pay to play blah blah blah but seriously? oil change, trans fluid change, spark plugs, all belts, some relays to make the heater work, PPI-type inspection and probably other small stuff here and there doesn't really add up to $2k in my book. This is a shop that is recommended by rlisters so I don't think I am getting ripped off. Yes, i know i need to start wrenching on the car but since this is a rant post, I am throwing logic and common sense out the effing window.

between this and rebuilding the rotary on my rx-7 track car, I will now go build a doghouse when the wife evicts me
Once you do this stuff yourself, you'll realize why you've paid what you did. Of course the porsche tax does come into play.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:42 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

You're paying for the labor mostly. The parts you mention aren't that expensive, but you're easily looking at 15+ hours in labor. How much does your wrench charge per hour?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:46 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree that the profit margin is astronomical when it comes to Porsche repairs/maintenance but we all know that coming into the purchase. I also have no money but have the car I always wanted. I could have put it off forever but life is too short and you get tired of denying yourself. Financially it was an insane purchase but why am I happy? When I did buy my car almost a year ago I pretended that I was only paying for part of the purchase and would 'owe' up to $10,000 more over the next 5+ years. I am hoping it is much less than that but that is what I put into my mind to rationalize the true purchase price of the car. It is well worth it for me and I can deal with the future cost without letting it get me down. I know that I still 'owe' on the car. Try not to let the repair bills disturb you too much or it will spoil the ownership of your wonderful car.
** Just a side note. In Car & Driver or Motor Trend magazine (I forgot which one), they have short and long term driving experiences with some of the newer model cars that come out. The maintenance costs that these dealerships charge for oil changes, rotating tires, inspections are mind-boggling. $300 and $400 visits are the 'norm'. I guess I live in an inexpensive area because I still get my 2001 American muscle car an oil change for $30 ($70 for synthetic) and if I'm too lazy to rotate the tires myself, about $39. This is a Chevy dealership too, not an indie. I have no idea what is going on with newer cars and the expense associated with it but that is what the magazines are reporting. Makes 993 ownership seem 'fair'.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:13 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

just this last sunday i was talking to 964 c4 owner who paid 8,000 plus change $aus for a new clutch new shocks (not Springs) and a service. get this, he was happy as his mechanic who "looks after him" told him that the same job through porsche aus would have cost him 11,000 +. i think some mechanics sprinkle porsche fairy dust on all the parts. and we all know hoe expensive that **** is
Old 02-17-2010, 09:22 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My complete service cost less than $400, and I know everything is done RIGHT!!! DYI.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:08 PM
sydneymark
Advanced

Have had a few problems with the cab roof ...finally failing on me ...the control box had a blow resistor and the cause ..wear on the gears that open the roof cost is A$1100 EACH!!!...........use it as a manual opener or pay up

..just paid $2k for a new roof canopy .........here we go again
Old 02-17-2010, 10:16 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Yes, i know i need to start wrenching on the car but since this is a rant post, I am throwing logic and common sense out the effing window.
Not ever having taken a car to a shop for anything, I recently found out that the average shop rate is about $85 per hour to service an everyday car.

Which is why I do the work myself. I refuse to pay that much to someone who knows less than I do and who may not be as particular as I am about how the work is done.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:23 PM
face-ache
Instructor

some of you guys need to learn at least how to change oil.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:25 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

And now for a shameless plug ....

Shoulda taken that biz to our own Mark and Darin at FD Motorsports, I'm sure they could have cut a few bucks off that total. Not only do they allow close observation of the work your having done and their sport exhaust and Golden Rod fabrication process, there's complimentary beverages and I ain't talking 'bout cool aid, Willis .....
Old 02-17-2010, 10:41 PM
jlb_94611
Rennlist Member

oh in the beginning you have to get it all sorted out and then there is the new suspension and the add-ons .. yes its expensive but then its in puuurfect order and you know what you have and then the $$$ settle down.. relax and enjoy the thing.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:49 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

That's why I'm a member of this site and do as much of the maintenance and repairs as I can. Without it, I would not own one of these cars. I can afford to have the work done by a shop but would rather spend the dollars elsewhere.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:06 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
My complete service cost less than $400, and I know everything is done RIGHT!!! DYI.
DYI? DYI?? Are you sure it's done right?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Love your car BTW.

Quick Reply: Rant alert!