993 Forum 1995-1998

Rant alert!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:33 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by VNTGSPD
DYI? DYI?? Are you sure it's done right?
Absolutely...having listened to shop stories of co-workers and neighbours and seen the work performed by a so called professional on their cars.

There oughta be a law.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:57 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Yup. Not only do I agree with you 100%, but coincidentally I also am due for new rotors/pads etc. Would be nice to do it myself, but with no knowledge and even less garage space, that's not gonna happen
Porsche brakes are actually really easy to do, they are just pads & hats, go to p-car.com and look up the DIY and you will see what I mean.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:22 PM
arenared911cab
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all you guys contemplating pad/rotor diy...Here' the deal if I can do this, so can you! I am in a wheelchair with a mountain biking spinal cord injury at c6. This means I have arm function, but not finger function or any function below the clavical. I as well craved the bliss of wrenching my own car and got pissed off paying others, especially after I had a local guy "flush" my brakes only to have them crap out after. This injury restricts some/most of the wrenching myself, but not for rotor/pad replace and caliper painting!

Now it sounds a bit like I'm touting my own horn (and I am...just a bit) but don't be afraid of this stuff! This forum will calm your fears and everyones knowledge will empower you. My garage is basic with jack stands and reddy heaters for the canadian cold!

Today, brakes...tomorrow ENGINE REBUILD!! (oK maybe not)...
Attached Images     
Old 02-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see ownership of my 993 as an avocation, and avocations cost money. Other than skiing and keeping fit, ownership of the car is my only avocation.

So if a model railroader spends $1,500 on a brass locomotive, I might spend that on a clutch. If a stamp collector spends $2,000 on a first day cover, I might spend that on suspension upgrades.

If I did my own work, I would see the money saved as tax free income. On the other hand, I can earn that income by going in on Saturday and working on a few extra files. While that wouldn't be as interesting as wrenching, for me it would be less stressful.

I am fortunate to have a tech who does good work, and who I can trust. Being a professional, if he is doing something and sees something else that needs fixing or replacement, he just does it.

Having said all of this, I really admire the owners who can do their own stuff, and I really enjoy reading their photo essays. I wrenched for many years, got reasonably good at it, and have lots of space and lots of tools. But the stress levels are too high for me now.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:00 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by arenared911cab
...This injury restricts some/most of the wrenching myself, but not for rotor/pad replace and caliper painting!
Rob, you're an inspiration. Where did you source your caliper decals, they look pro. Nice dogs, BTW. The coat on the shepherd tells me they're well loved.

Originally Posted by arenared911cab
Today, brakes...tomorrow ENGINE REBUILD!! (oK maybe not)...
Hey, with the right tools and setup, (and pcar.com, of course), I bet you could do it ....
Old 02-19-2010, 08:51 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw a post a few days ago "You don't buy a Porsche, you build it."

Quick Reply: Rant alert!