Early Sport Seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Vilhuer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeK
That is also a plan of mine. Have you priced the list of parts necessary? I am foremost interested in retrofitting the heating, but a heated 12-way would be the holy grail.
Manual GTS has 8-way heated pair with drivers side memory from factory. I got all lordose parts and passenger side memory from 12-way seats for few $100. Changing backrest frame to sport version costs practically nothing as its just few feet long pipe cut to two pieces, welded into frame and painted. Real expensive stuff is new foam and leather. Might as well do some custom work like Porsche crest in headrest and pasha pattern or Porsche text in leather. But there are many more urgent projects on the list on both GTS. In any case 928 forum has some examples of the possibilities.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:48 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Yes, it would appear that anything built after February '95 would have had hardback seats as an option.
OK, now I'm not clear; were they a standard seat or an option?

Originally Posted by JPP
Here's a picture of Hardback seats with Supple leather, 8-way power and heat.

OK so the front two buttons control front height, rear height, front-rear seat position, backrest angle position. I take it that third blocked out button is for lumbar and whatever else can be adjusted?

These are my hardback seats...
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2010, 07:56 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
OK, now I'm not clear; were they a standard seat or an option?
All sport seats were an extra cost option on 993's.

OK so the front two buttons control front height, rear height, front-rear seat position, backrest angle position. I take it that third blocked out button is for lumbar and whatever else can be adjusted?
Yes, third button is power lumbar.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:19 AM
Vilhuer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

3rd button is for lumbar or lordose as Porsche calls it but in your pic it is not installed. 4-way and 8-way heated versions use same button frame as 12-way non heated and heated seats. 3rd round button location is just covered with round plastic plate. On 12-way without heater seats heater button position is covered while frame is same. In late model year 928 for example 8-way with heat is very common but its really hard to find 12-way and thus almost all have empty 3rd position.

There are two different versions of heater setup. Adjustment changed in '89 MY. Earlier version used just button which had two positions while later setup has button and adjustment wheel inside it. There is also additional heater elements in later version on sides of the seat base.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:16 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
All sport seats were an extra cost option on 993's.

Yes, third button is power lumbar.
I can't speak for every model and year, but per my window sticker, the sport seats were a no charge option on my 97 C4s. Why would Porsche offer this?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:41 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Vilhuer
In late model year 928 for example 8-way with heat is very common but its really hard to find 12-way and thus almost all have empty 3rd position.
I'm sure money was a HUGE factor for many people looking at the cost of just the Lumbar bits. Here's a window sticker showing the cost of adding the Power seat package, $1004, plus Lumbar left and right at $551 ea. The seat heater option on my '87 cab was $330 ea. and I'm sure that had gone up by '95 to this stuff wasn't cheap. Also, note that front seats with electric height adjustment are standard which probably means there were no fully manual standard seats offered at this point.

Originally Posted by Vilhuer
There are two different versions of heater setup. Adjustment changed in '89 MY. Earlier version used just button which had two positions while later setup has button and adjustment wheel inside it. There is also additional heater elements in later version on sides of the seat base.
The earlier seats had just the toggle switch on the seat, as you said, but they also had a remote temperature adjuster on the dash, same rotating switch as the one you find on 993's for wiper delay adjustment. The 'wheel' in the center of the toggle switch for later seats replaced that remote and adjusted the temperature from the side of the seat ....

Last edited by JPP; 02-23-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:14 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by air eater
I can't speak for every model and year, but per my window sticker, the sport seats were a no charge option on my 97 C4s. Why would Porsche offer this?
Yes, this is the exception. Porsche offered the choice with the 'S' package cars at no upcharge.

FYI, R'lister Cobalt answered my question about the picture of 8way power hardbacks with heat that he posted in another thread. Note the straight stitching lines across the center pads. Maybe a result of adding heating elements in the Special Wishes workshop??:

"Hi, These seats came from a special wishes 993TT. You are correct these were never offered on a 964T. In fact I have never seen their like. Every pair of 993 sport seats I have seen did not come with heat and most were only 4 way adjustable or manual. Very rare find indeed."

Old 02-23-2010, 02:33 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPP
Here's a window sticker showing the cost of....
OMG, almost $20,000 in options.

$611 for oval chrome exhaust pipes....you really have to give your head a shake when you see that.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:26 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

OMG, almost $20,000 in options.

$611 for oval chrome exhaust pipes....you really have to give your head a shake when you see that.
Yes, on a car I believe you are familiar with ....

Old 02-23-2010, 09:23 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPP
Yes, on a car I believe you are familiar with ....
Lets put it this way, the only options I'd consider if I was buying one new are ones that improve handling and braking. Bling doesn't cut it with me.

Quick Reply: Early Sport Seats