993 Forum 1995-1998

Litronic HID intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:07 PM
rbeggs
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Litronic HID intermittent

My right hand HID shuts itself off after about 10 minutes of being turned on. This is consistent and has been happening for several weeks. The pattern suggests a heat related problem. A contact opening because of expansion perhaps. Whatever it is, has anybody had a similar symptom and if so what was the cause and cure?

Many thanks,

R. Beggs
Old 01-27-2010, 10:11 PM
cmat
Racer

I don't have specific experience with the Porsche HID system but I do have some general knowledge of HID lamps and ballasts. As a lamp ages, its steady state operating voltage increases and can reach a value where the ballast no longer can operate it resulting in the lamp extinguishing. It will take some minutes for the lamp to heat and reach its steady state temperature and operating point. This is what might be happening. I would try switching the lamps between the two ballasts. This would at least tell you if it's the lamp or the ballast. In the best case you might only need a new lamp.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:16 AM
rbeggs
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info Chuck. I'll switch the lamps as soon as I get the chance. Switching components is classic electronic troubleshooting protocol. But the HID lamp characteristics are counterintuitive. I think of "bulbs" as on or off, never intermittent. So I thought about swapping other components. Learn something new every day.

R. Beggs
Old 01-28-2010, 05:25 PM
911RufRT
Banned

I went through this a couple of weeks ago, it ended up being the bulb. You can buy them online as low $70 from Pelican or Autohausaz.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:39 AM
rbeggs
Rennlist Member

So I went to change the bulbs L to R. Couldn't figure out how to release the bulb. It looks like I need to unscrew its housing with a special tool. So I opted to exchange a rectangular component that sits inside the housing close to the HID socket and is connected directly to the HID bulb. Swapping these left for right causes the fault to follow. Bingo, it must be this little packet. Is this the "controller"?

Thanks,

RB
Old 02-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I suspect that you refer to the 'exciter' .... the small unit with the red bayonet connector for the bulb. Otherwise, attached a pic of my spares - pick out the offender
There is a stainless bayonet locking ring that must be released to free the HID (D1S) bulb - similar to the lock on the red connector. Then, the bulb pulls straight out.
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2010, 03:55 PM
rbeggs
Rennlist Member

Garth,

The item in question is the object in the center of the bottom row. The exciter you say. So what's the story on the "spares". Are these pictures used to merely torment other Rennlisters or does the possibility of some "arrangement" exist.

Many thanks in any case.

R. Beggs
Old 02-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rbeggs
Garth,

The item in question is the object in the center of the bottom row. The exciter you say. So what's the story on the "spares". Are these pictures used to merely torment other Rennlisters or does the possibility of some "arrangement" exist.

Many thanks in any case.

R. Beggs
I entertained the possibility of extended torment .... but acquiesced with a PM
Old 02-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. It was corrotion on the main plug where the lamp assembly plugs into the harness. I used some electronic cleaner and a brass brush and no problem in 3 years.

Quick Reply: Litronic HID intermittent