Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who here has never met another Rennlister (or other Porsche forum member) in person?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:50 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts
Default Who here has never met another Rennlister (or other Porsche forum member) in person?

I've met a few Rennlist members over the years here in person and it made this board seem a bit more real, close, tight and just generally more appealing to me. When I see certain members post something that I've met in person, I "get it" a little more as I have those memories of hanging out with them and talking about 993's or working on our cars.

If I lived in an isolated area of the country where it wasn't easy to get together with other Rennlisters, I'm sure I'd still feel the spirit just about as much here. It wouldn't be the same though to a small, maybe a very small degree.

Then there's probably a good percentage of people here that are lurkers, hanging out on the sidelines, reading all these posts, and only ever so occasionally posting something or maybe never posting, just lurking. That's cool too, of course. No judgement, just an observation.

And there's most likely a good number of people that have absolutely no interest in meeting anyone from a 993 forum in person, but they readily enjoy reading the posts.

So, who here, if you care to reply, has never met anyone from this 993 forum or any other Porsche web-forums?

Do you have an interest but the opportunity never just never materialized?

Super busy at work and it just never worked out, time-wise? Maybe you just bought your car and haven't made it out to meet anyone yet? Definitely give it a try if you're thinking about it! It can be very rewarding.

Or something else?

I feel pretty enriched by just my small exposure at various "Meet and Drives" over the last 6 years I've owned my 993. I never did any events when I had my 88 911 for 5 years previous to my current car. In addition to the "Meet and Drives", I've met a few members from my area over the years for lunch and just hanging out to work on cars.

You?

(On a Meet and Drive)
Old 01-16-2010, 11:56 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll bite.

I'm pretty new to this site but I have never met any current 993 Listers or RW members
(talked with a former 993 owner/RL contributor at PCA events). Have exchanged PM's with a couple "locals" and hopefully when the weather improves we can meet up.

I will drive just about anywhere to see another 993.

Great Thread idea BTW.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:12 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Erik,

That sounds like a good plan! I drive up to Hershey PA most years when it's not raining in April for the swap meet and that's definitely worth the 2+ hour trip. Thousands of Porsches all in one place. Heaven!

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-w-pics-o.html

Old 01-17-2010, 01:09 AM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

Definitely a good topic!

I met a couple of Rennlisters before I entered the Porsche world, but that said I definitely agree with your view that knowing Rennlisters personally makes this board all the more worthwhile.

For example, a random post last week about one Rennlister spotting another Rennlister's car in Nashville last week resulted in a Porsche meet-up this morning with about 25 cars..pretty cool. While it was great to see about 10 other Rennlisters I already knew at the meet, the real treat was meeting Arena993, whose posts I have been reading at length for many years.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:42 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might be a short topic.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:29 AM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
Definitely a good topic!

I met a couple of Rennlisters before I entered the Porsche world, but that said I definitely agree with your view that knowing Rennlisters personally makes this board all the more worthwhile.

For example, a random post last week about one Rennlister spotting another Rennlister's car in Nashville last week resulted in a Porsche meet-up this morning with about 25 cars..pretty cool. While it was great to see about 10 other Rennlisters I already knew at the meet, the real treat was meeting Arena993, whose posts I have been reading at length for many years.
Mike is good people and definitely knows a lot about these cars. He was the first one I met from this board. Since then, I've met a few other gentlemen. Great group of guys.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:38 AM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

i have become good friends with a fellow rennlister and we met through pms originally to check out a set of wheels i was running at the time. BTW very nice Cosmograph Daytona
Old 01-17-2010, 09:53 AM
pcarrera993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post Steve. I became a member in November 2009 and have been busy reading coutless articles on this forum since. It's the middle of the winter in Northern New Jersey and not much going. Can't wait for the Spring and Summer to attend some of the meets and events.

--Tito
Old 01-17-2010, 10:27 AM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've met a few TX rennlisters but since I've moved to MD, I've missed an opportunity or two to meet some of you fine folks in this area. Hopefully I'll catch up with some of you on future drives or PCA events.

Steve, you're the consummate friendly rennlister. Keep it up brother!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:03 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Darren (aka DYBT and in photo) stayed at my property in Park City, UT a few winters ago and we got together for dinner and a few drinks. He was living in Hong Kong at the time, if Im not mistaken.

I have met up with Louis (aka hoggel) for a few Porsche runs and he helped me out with a window bug---which ended up being a disconnected wire. He has offered to help me out with my Fister D install (which I will probably order in a few months) and bleeding lower gaskets when it gets warm.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 95 C4 993; 01-17-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:12 AM
matt777
Drifting

I've been a member for awhile and had a car for 2 years and never met anyone. Steven (Trophy) and I were chatting yesterday and he suggested organizing a Calgary Rennlister get together. We'll see what spring brings. I'm in Edmonton. There are at least 3 Calgary member but no other Edmonton members that I know of.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:24 AM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to modify the original question; "Who has met a Rennlister and wish they had not" Some of you people have cost me a lot of money. I call you my "Slippery Slope Accelerators"!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm a newb, but I would love to meet some Rennlisters this year. I've noticed a number of Chicago-based Rennlisters, and I was planning on trying to meet some at a PCA event this year.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:21 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

I've met Benoit (RacingFlyer) and Travis (BufordTJ) along with the famous JoAnne (RJT). Oh... and I met Steen when he flew in to pick up my car after he purchased it.

All great folks!
Old 01-17-2010, 02:31 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I have met LOTS of Rennlisters, and have made many friends from this board. There are still MANY that I would like to, and look forward to meeting. The beer is on me!

Quick Reply: Who here has never met another Rennlister (or other Porsche forum member) in person?