Sponsored by:

1997 993 wheels -- 17" vs 18" ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Betsy W
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 993 wheels -- 17" vs 18" ?

Ok guys, this is my first post (I've only commented on others so far), so please be kind!

My new (to me) '97 993 NB (41K miles) has the 408 option listed on the VIL: 18" Technology Design Wheels [1996]

Problem is, the car actually has 17" wheels on it (see below). I have records going back to 1999 (but no guarantee they're complete) and there's no mention of a wheel purchase (or the 17" tires to fit). Folks here who list the 408 option seem to have 18" turbo twist wheels instead. My questions are....

1) Could that 408 code be referencing something else? I've read that codes don't always mean the same thing year to year. Are there any other 1997 owners with the 408 code out there who can verify what wheels came with the car?

2) Is it worth trying to track down a set of 18" turbo twist wheels? I know "worth" is a subjective term here, but my interest is primarily to drive and enjoy the car, not race or modify it. I don't foresee any performance need for 18s over 17s, but rather a feeling like the car isn't "right" without the wheels it was built with. (Assuming I'm reading the 408 code correctly.)

And finally, 3) Per photo below, the car's got some Pirelli Pzeros on it. Please tell me if these are decent tires. They've got 3K miles on them I believe -- should last a while. Again, I'm not exactly tearing it up out there, but I'd like to know what I'm driving on.

Thanks guys!!
Name:  wheel_closeup.jpg
Views: 5824
Size:  45.6 KB
Old 01-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Smile Oh Boy I am first to take a shot at Betsy W...

...actually I will be quite kind. Congratulation on stepping up to the Board and for the wisdom to buy a 993, the best car Porsche ever built (IMHO).

As Bubba the Love Sponge says, "Here's the deal!" The 18" wheels may look good, but for the street, their tire options are not the best. Reason, 18" tires are low(er) profile. They have a short side wall. The tires are part of the suspension. The shorter the sidewall, the more rigid the ride.

Second reason to stick with what you have, 17" tires are plentiful and they are cheap too. What is wrong with that.

If you want some style with your stock wheels, look for a wheel refinisher...although your wheels look to be in great shape. They can be refinished to new, or powder coated to X color, or.

The tires you have seem fine too. Research the Department of Transportation dating code scheme. It is very simple...check your tire side wall for the code and see how old the tires are. if they are old (Old is in the mind of the beholder), then replace them. A nice set of tires in the stock size (205 front and 255 rear) can be had for Under $750, as cheap as $500, and these are Z rated (high speed) tires.

If you are in a cold area where there is extreme cold, ice and snow..leave the car in the garage. However if you must drive it, and this type of weather is forecast to persist (months on end) you may want to invest in a second set of wheels with winter tires. Road salt is hell on aluminum wheels...you car has lots of aluminum on it that is exposed to the road.

Last item, of you have not already done this, join Porsche Club of America. There will be events in your area...you can meet fellow Porsche geeks, driving events, etc.

Really last item, leave your car stock for a while. Get to know it...then later on make some changes. Sometimes there exists mass hysteria on changes and modifications...example, "must change suspension, must lower car, must put on loud obnoxious mufflers, need a short shift kit."

There will come a time when you will go mad...but just wait a bit. Welcome to the 993 club and Rennlist.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:21 AM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi and Welcome Betsy - I am nearby in Herndon VA. The 408 option was for the 18 inch wheels but it was for the C4S model. Where do you see the 408 code? Is it on the sticker under the hood in the trunk? I have 18 inch summer wheels/tires and use my old "cup" wheels (the kind you have) for use with snow tires in the winter - they work very well - even in the recent major snow we had here in the DC area I got around just fine. As the previous post says the 18s will be a rougher ride but not that much - especially if you install new shocks (PSS-10's). By the way - most of the road surface treatment here in the DC area is not salt but a more gentle compound and should not be an issue with the wheels - I used mine in th winter for over 7 years and they look fine. Don't feel bad about asking all the questions you wish here - but also make use of the search function. Welcome again and Happy Motoring.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:21 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

the above comments are certainly valid but I would suggest that lots of 993 owners run 18 inch wheels. without sparking a 20 page debate I think wheels are very much a matter of personal taste. nothing wrong with the ones you have but if you have a few bucks and want a different look then there are numerous choices. tire choices, visual appeal and handling are all factors. The tires are you have are fine. lots of Porsche's run them - there are other choices and when those do wear out you should search this board for options but no reason to change before then... good luck with whatever decisions you make!! and welcome to RL!!
Old 01-06-2010, 06:46 AM
Betsy W
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm not dissatisfied with the 17s, but I grew up with a collection of classic cars where authenticity was important. If my car was delivered with 18s, I'd like to know.

@Martin: Thanks for the welcome. I've been a Porsche owner since 1997 and a happy member of PCA (though not an active participant, I admit). One of the great things about Porsches is the community of folks happy to help. I really appreciate your suggestions.

@porscheralph: I'm relieved that here in NoVa the road treatments aren't as corrosive to the wheels! And yes, the 408 is right off the VIL (sticker in the front hood). The other options look accurate.

@stace: Yeah, I'm not really debating the merits of 17s over 18s, just trying to establish what came with my car!

Still hoping there are other 1997 owners with the 408 option who can speak to what it represents. Anyone out there?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 394 Posts

M408 were the hollow spoke 8&10x18 twist wheels
M413 were the same size turbo look wheels
M405 were the same size RS Speedline wheels

looks like someone swapped wheels somewhere along the line
Old 01-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The Porsche Option Decoder shows 408 as "18" Technology Design Wheels [1996]".

I'm no expert but I believe the Pirelli PZeros are very good tires. Whether your tires are good for the season is another matter (winter, all-season, pure summer). I would check Tire Rack's site for more detail on your exact tire.

We're happy you're here. I would suggest staying away from the guy called Cactus though....
Old 01-06-2010, 05:18 PM
arjag
Instructor

Betsy,
I think that Bill is right on. My 1998 S has the 408 optional 18 inch turbo twist wheels - the hollow spoke wheels as a factory option. These are relatively valuable and I bet a PO sold them. It sounds as though you are like me - you want a more original car - so I understand your wish to have the turbo twists. I'm glad that my car still had them. You can find them but they are dear. Note the difference with the hollow spoke versions that came on the turbo (the 408 option). There are also non-hollow spoke wheels that are a little heavier.
With regard to the ride, it might make a difference but i bet it would be minor, especially compared to getting shock and spring upgrades. As for tires, I am running Sumitomo HTR ZIIIs and I am completely happy with them. Search a previous thread where several members are running them. Good tire (for street) and relatively inexpensive.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:29 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome, Betsy!

We're generally not really a "concours" crowd here. As a result, few seem to care what the option sticker says for wheels, as it's one of the easiest "errors" to correct at any time. Nevertheless, you may choose to buy some 18" hollow spokes (they're not too expensive) and:

1) Just put them away for "authenticity" peace of mind and continue to run your 17" Cup IIs if you daily drive and the streets of DC are as bad as I remember.
2) Actually choose to run the hollow spokes. They're a pretty good wheel that looks correct on the car.
3) Choose a different 18" wheel that suits your taste as long as it's not too heavy.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aren't the hollow spokes a bit fragile? they could have cracked over time and the po replaced them with the "stock" 993.

and welcome, by the way.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Betsy W
Intermediate

Wow, thanks so much for the information. I really appreciate it.

Let's just *say* I was going to try to track down the correct wheels. Are there some favorite online wheel shops that folks like? I really just want true OEM wheels, nothing fancy.

And I'd have to order 8" for front and 10" for rear, correct?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Betsy W
Wow, thanks so much for the information. I really appreciate it.

Let's just *say* I was going to try to track down the correct wheels. Are there some favorite online wheel shops that folks like? I really just want true OEM wheels, nothing fancy.

And I'd have to order 8" for front and 10" for rear, correct?
the hollow spoke twists for your n/b are
Front 8.0 x 18 52 mm 993-362-136-00
Rear 10.0 x 18 65 mm 993-362-140-01

solid twists are very similar in appearance, you actually have to look preety hard to see the differences
Front 8.0 x 18 52 mm 993-362-136-01
Rear 10.0 x 18 65 mm 993-362-140-04

there are also some lower o/s rear for w/b
Rear 10.0 x 18 40 mm 993-362-140-00(hollow) 993-362-140-03(solid)
Old 01-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your cup wheels were OEM for some 993's just not yours the way it was optioned from the factory. I don't know if that helps or not but your 17" cups are not inappropriate for the 993. That being said, hollow spoke twists are all over the place (I sold two sets a few years back) and could be had for a reasonable price. Check on Rennlist frequently and Pelican perhaps. I'm sure a set in VA or close by will show up sooner or later.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:52 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Betsy W
Are there some favorite online wheel shops that folks like? I really just want true OEM wheels, nothing fancy.
If they are still available new, you won't like the prices. Here, Pelican, Craigs and Fleabay are your best resources. Wheel Collision (sorta near you in PA) says they have some for $575 each:
http://www.wheelcollision.com/pors2.htm

Ask the sellers for part numbers, as the majority for sale seem to be the heavier and less valuable "solid spoke" variety. There's also a 7-1/2" version of the front wheel which is slighlty less desireable, but if it's lighter, it's fine by me. Don't be shy if you can get a deal on some but there's some rim rash. They can be refinished by Wheel Collision or others as long as they are true.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:05 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand your feelings about keeping the car stock and as original as possible. I have 17" on my ride but if they originally came with 18" it would bother me. Why? I don't know but it just would. Unfortunately the 18" are very expensive which could cause one to re-think the need. The Pirellis are superb tires as long as the date code is less than 6 years old. Check the DOT number on the sidewall to see the date. If you don't know how to read it just look for the 4 digit number after the letters DOT. Sometimes there are other numbers there too but look for the 4 consecutive numbers. Example: 4206; that would mean the tire was made the 42nd week of 2006. 0207 would mean the 2nd week of 2007. I'm sure you can see the pattern. Enjoy your ride whatever you decide!

Quick Reply: 1997 993 wheels -- 17" vs 18" ?