Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Submit Photos for 2010 Calendar - Information Here!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Hound Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Submit Photos for 2010 Calendar - Information Here!

After several pages on the calendar thread, Black993 (Justin) and I threw in together and have hatched the following plan to both allow everyone to custom create their own calendar from posted photos and to create a stock calendar from those photos. It may not be perfect, but it's what we can do this year, so please bear with us.

Overall, the plan is to get everyone to submit photos of their cars via email that will be automatically posted in a smugmug gallery. Once everyone has submitted their photos to the gallery, then we'll distribute the link and folks can go to the gallery to make comments on cars, rank them, etc. You can also download any of the photos at that gallery if you would like to do so and have them assembled into a calendar at any of a bunch of sites (flickr, apple, etc.). After everyone has commented on the assembled photos/ranked them, etc., we'll take the top 14 or 15 or so (which is bound to be somewhat unscientific and make some of the non-selected mad) and create a calendar at lulu.com that you can purchase individually. Lulu will do all of the printing/packing/shipping and credit card stuff. We will probably set the price a tad higher than the cost so that each calendar sold generates some $$ for Rennwish.

So, if you want to submit your photo for consideration for the calendar and for others to download to use in calendars that they assemble on their own, just email them to:

jimharvey@email.smugmug.com, with the word "aerokit1b" in the subject line of the email.

If you want to add a caption (details on the car, etc.), just type it into the body of the email. it will appear as a caption in the gallery. Generally, the more pixels you have in the image the better. If it's from an iphone or something, it probably won't reproduce well. No size limit on individual images - so fire away.

All photos received on or before January 17 will be considered for the calendar. We'll probably have the gallery up for a couple of weeks for folks to rank and download images of all of the beautiful cars that get posted.

Now the fine print: please don't submit photos for which you don't own the copyright or rights for these purposes. By submitting photos, you're allowing others to copy them so that they can be included in their personal custom calendars (not for resale to others). You're also allowing us to submit them to lulu or another publishing site (if you're one of the chosen few) for publication in the stock calendar which we'll sell and distribute to folks on this site. If you download photos, you're agreeing to use them only for your personal calendar (not for resale to others). We're not liable if someone comes after you (or us) for misusing their image. Please, no flames about this part - it's a litigious world in which we live.

That's it. Now - submit lots of beautiful photos and we'll let you know when you can see them and rank them and how to buy the calendar.

THANKS.

Jim/Justin
Old 01-03-2010, 03:53 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So as Jim said, I'll be helping out where I can.

I checked around at some of the online printing sites and found that if you want to print your own calendar, prices range from about $14 to $40, depending on size and quality. I did find a few places that had a very cool desktop calendar that came with a stand for under $20. I may have to get one of those.

Anyway, a few printing places that I checked

http://www.mpix.com:
Both a calendar poster, and a VERY nice "press" calendar. Press calendar requires a software download

http://www.snapfish.com:
This is one of the few that had the desktop calendar

http://www.cafepress.com:
4 different types to choose from

http://www.shutterfly.com
4 to choose from here as well, including an 18 month version

http://www.lulu.com:
This is where the calendar of selected images will be printed from.

http://www.photoworks.com
Tons of calendars to choose from

If you have any others that you have used or know of, please PM me the link so I can add it to this list.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks guys for doing this!...its sounds like this way forward will work. Will be emailing some pics...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-03-2010, 10:15 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I'll email some cool pics...
Old 01-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 171 Posts

Thanks for putting this together, can't wait to see the photos. I did get a Top Gear calendar (with mag subscription), interesting 7 page poster format with a collage of car photos on each month, featuring a car (but no Porsche models in 2010 :-( ).

So folks may not want to limit their submissions to single frame photos. And I like seeing versions with the spec's woven into the image too.

@JD, looking forward to your submissions :-)
Attached Images  

Last edited by Kein_Ersatz; 01-05-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome!
I'm so glad to see this going strong!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

I need a better camera...I would love to take some shots of Barney....
Old 01-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Hound Dog
Instructor

Default Update

There are 23 photos as of tonight, all of which are beautiful!! Keep 'em coming. I also like the multiple exposures and interesting stuff posted above. Remember, to submit a photo, just email it to:

jimharvey@email.smugmug.com, with the word "aerokit1b" in the subject line.

Please add name, car details, etc. in the body of the email (which will be displayed as a caption in the gallery). The more pictures and the more pixels per picture the better.

JH
Old 01-05-2010, 07:50 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Bump - stick....
Old 01-05-2010, 11:18 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
JD, looking forward to your submissions :-)
I sent about 10 photos but didn't include the correct title in the subject line, but I suppose the email will be opened regardless...
Old 01-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
I sent about 10 photos but didn't include the correct title in the subject line, but I suppose the email will be opened regardless...
JD,
If I'm not mistaken the subject line does need to read aerokit1b for the submission to work since it goes directly into sumgmug, not to one of us.

I looked and didn't see any pictures of your car in the gallery yet(unless you have different wheels than whats in your avatar???). Can you try to resubmit them?
Old 01-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Hound Dog
Instructor

Justin is correct. if "aerokit1b" isn't in the subject line, we won't get the email. Can you retransmit, please?

Thanks. Keep the pictures coming!!

JH
Old 01-07-2010, 04:41 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Just re-sent....
Old 01-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

My photos are in. I can't wait to see the final product.

Quick Reply: Submit Photos for 2010 Calendar - Information Here!